Demons Run Chapter 2

Demons Run chapter 1

Gavriel's Point of View

I wonder if the human race would ever have believed that they would one day be an endangered species among a world of demons. I know I would never have thought it possible and I had been an over-imaginative five year old when the earthquakes started, the earthquakes that brought humanity to its knees quicker than anyone thought possible. It could have easily brought me down as well. The only reason I survived was because of my older sister. That is, she kept me alive until i had enough sense to stop following her like a lost dog and find my own way in the new hell of a world at the ripe age of twelve.

Where am I now eight years later? I'm on top of the world baby, surviving on my wits and maybe just a little bit of something extra. I am Gavriel, the only human you will find in a thousand mile radius. Why is that? Because I'm partying in the middle of one of the most thickly demon infested areas in the world.

Before the earthquakes or as many call it the apocalypse, the area had been known as America, a ripe and prosperous country now a demon playground. Not that demon playground was a bad thing, I personally loved it. It was better to run with demons than live like a rat as most humans do. Though I guess my way of living would be considered right either. My hand instinctively moved to the small vial that hung from a silver chain around my neck. I would be dead without it.

Dropping the train of thought entirely i stopped outside of one of the best looking bars I had seen in miles and pushed the door open. The whole bar seemed to gasp when I stepped in. I had to force myself not to reach for the vial again. Doing so would be a deadly mistake with so many demons staring right at me, but I couldn't help worrying that it was too old to be effective any longer. Thankfully it seemed to be a lot less interesting than the black haired demon standing in the middle of everything with a red haired demon passed out at his feet.

Trying to ignore the fact that the whole place was dead silent and the black haired demon was sorta staring at me I slowly made my way to an empty seat at the bar.  Reaching into my jacket pocket I placed handful of money on the bar and looked around for the bartender. Turning around I found the black haired demon still staring at me while everyone slowly recovered from whatever they had been doing before what looked like a fight had broken out. The black haired demon huffed loudly and ran his hand through his limp hair, making his way behind the bar never taking his eyes off of me.

With a scowl I pushed my money forward. “Give me your strongest.” The music started up again and the demon narrowed his eyes at me, reached for a glass and poured a dark liquid into it. Sliding it forward he watched me for several more moments before moving on to the other customers.

Letting out a nervous breath I quickly downed the glass, holding back a gag as it burned its way down my throat. Slamming the empty glass onto the counter-top I turned around, resting my elbows on the bar and watching the drunken demons stumble around insulting one another and laughing like fools. It must be nice not to worry about being discovered. If any of them ever found out what I was… I shuttered at the thought, my hand going to the scar on my left cheek.

A loud clank sounded behind me, I turned back around to find my glass refilled and the black haired demon staring at me again. “Thanks,” I murmured, raising the glass to my lips, watching the demon over the rim of the glass as he went back to his business. He was handsome enough with his spiked black hair, blue eyes and short but muscular build. He wasn't too short that it was unattractive… not that I should judge. And he was built in a y way, muscular but not ripped with grotesquely huge muscles.

Turning my gaze away from the bartender, I slowly sipped at my drink. That is until I was hip checked out of my seat and thrown onto the floor, my glass shattering into a large puddle of liquid and glass. “What the !” I hissed loudly, making sure the broken glass didn't cut me anywhere. Finding no blood I jump back to my feet to find the red headed demon who had been passed out at the bartenders feet earlier, sitting in my seat smirking down at me.

“Thanks for keeping my seat warm kid.”

“Laxus quit breaking in my bar,” the black haired demon hissed. Was i not just thrown to the floor by a mountain of a demon? Hello! In pain here! Well that wasn't true, my back had hurt momentarily, but it had passed quickly with some help.

“Excuse me,” I growled. “I was sitting there bub!”

“And now i'm sitting here. There are plenty of other seats,” he waved his hand dismissively at me. “Move along short stuff.” Laxus turned back to the bartender and requested a drink. Short stuff? I'm not that short!

“I said I was sitting there you brain dead jackass.” The brain dead jackass placed his drink on the bar and turned  to look down at me. I placed my hands on my hips a glowered up at him. “Move.”

Laxus stood out of his seat to tower over me, a vicious smirk on his lips. “Kid, you got juts but can you own up to your bad attitude?” With a small chuckle the red headed demon flicked me in the forehead causing me to stumble back several steps. I growled loudly, rubbing my forehead and stepped forward. Laxus wasn't even paying attention anymore, he was turned back around and talking to the bartender. Gods I hate buff demons who think they are so tough. Time to break the idiots ego in half.

Stepping forward I smacked the drink out of his hand. “You little ,” he hissed, standing so quickly his stool slammed to the floor. Standing on my toes I grabbed him by the front of his shirt, dragging him down to my level. “What the-” His words were halted by my fist connecting with his face, splitting his bottom lip and sending him backwards onto his . The look on his face was totally worth the shooting pain in my knuckles.

Laxus sat up with something of a groan and a growl as his lip bleed steadily. Picking up the chair and straightening my leather jacket I ordering another drink. “Was that bad enough for you er?”