I love you, Happy birthday

Happy Birthday

06:45 A.M., was the number being showed on the digital clock. Some people still drown in the slumber land, enjoying the moment when they didn’t have to face the harsh reality. It didn’t happen in this place, instead of hearing snores, you could hear a sizzling sound came from the kitchen. You could smell the delicious smell of Bolognese sauce as you stepped in that place. There stood a tall-lanky man, Choi Junhong for sure, with a dark blue apron draped along his body. His milky hand moved the spatula ably—though some traces of sauce spilled around the stove. He wiped his sweat and smiled with satisfaction as he finished his cook. He poured the sauce over the previously cooked pasta and decorated it with cheese and basil.

“Perfecto~” Junhong exclaimed happily and took his apron over. He brought the plate to a dining table for two people—which decorated with white table cloth. He put the plate next to a champagne flute, which located beside a bowl of ice he prepared for the champagne itself. He glanced at the clock, 06:49. It’s time! The champagne! He rushed to the kitchen to grab the drink, slightly cursing his clumsy behavior, and put it on the bowl as he came back. He smiled again, now everything is ready, ten minutes more. He walked to his room—closed the curtain along his journey—and took his ipad with him.

 Junhong pressed the home button and a photo of him and Yongguk popped into the screen as the background—an old photo of them that Yongguk posted when they came to Malaysia. He chukled at his homescreen, I’m pretty lame, am I?  He opened an application, Skype for sure, and called someone. He held his breath as he waited for the answer. Is he still awake? Suddenly a pair of swollen eyes appeared on the screen, making him screamed silently.

“Hey, am I surprised you?” Yongguk chuckled, his deep voice filled Junhong’s ears. “Yes, Hyung. I don’t expect that! I’m not bothering your sleep, ne?” Yongguk shook his head. “No, I was writing some lyrics when you called.”

“Haha, don’t work so late, Hyung.” Junhong smiled, showing the other the dimple on his right cheek. “Since when I sleep early, Junhong-ah?”

“Yeah, you never sleep early.”

“Why do you call?”

“Can’t I?” Junhong raised his eyebrow, “If you don’t want me to call you, then I’ll end the call.” His pout successfully made Yongguk burst into laughter, “I’m sorry, just asking. Hey, your hair… it’s black!” Yongguk exclaimed energetically, his gummy smile made his heart flutter. “Yeah, finally they let me.” Junhong rolled his eyes, his company seldom gave him the opportunity to have black as his hair color. “

“Oh, I almost forget to tell you, congratulations on getting the first place for your solo. I saw it on internet yesterday.” Again, Yongguk made his heart flutter. He smiled shyly as he scratched his head, still being the same shy boy as five years ago. He never changed entirely, he couldn’t change his shy nature. “Actually I was really surprised when the MC announced the result, Jongup-hyung jumped at me when he heard the result.” He finally got to release a solo album, seven years after his debut, an album he prepared by his own since the elder was away from him. An album contained a song he secretly prepared for the elder.

“Oh, you’re having a stage with Jonguppie?” Junhong nodded. “Yeah, he helped me a lot with the stage. By the way, do you know that Channie-hyung’s drama got a high rating?”

“Really? I’ll search it on the internet after this!”

“And Youngjae-hyung and Daehyun-hyung are going to cast in a musical.” Yongguk became excited again, “When? Will I get to watch it when I come back?” Junhong looked up, trying to remember the date, “Yep, you will.” Yongguk clapped his hands happily, “That’s good, watching it with me, will you?” Junhong didn’t need to think again, he immediately nodded his head, “Sure. I’m gladly accept your request but you have to treat me, Hyung.” he got a shrug as the return. He would gladly go to the musical with the elder, even going to the nearest park for a walk made him happy. He never saw the man for two years and two months. The elder finally got into the army and soon after released from the army, he went to Africa for a volunteering work. He left without seeing Junhong—he was doing some activities with Daehyun and Youngjae’s duo in Japan that time. He felt really mad at the elder that time but thanks to technology nowadays, Yongguk could make it by made a call from Africa soon after he arrived via Skype. Junhong didn’t want to contact him with other social media such as facebook or twitter—he couldn’t use local social media—he wanted to see Yongguk’s face. So whenever he got a time, he would call the elder—though sometimes Yongguk was too busy to answer his call—or was he the one who being busy as ever?  

Junhong glanced at the clock, 06:58. It’s time. “Hyung, I want to show you something.” He set his ipad on the table and showing his work to his hyung. Yongguk stared in awe, “I made this, Bolognese spaghetti, recipe from Himchan-hyung. Well, since you can’t eat it, I’ll just show you the view.” He smiled proudly at his work.

“Wait… I still have something for you,” Junhong rushed to the kitchen and a moment later he returned with a small piece of chocolate cake with a little tigger holding a big candle on the top. He set the candle and brought the cake closer to the screen. “Happy birthday.” He mouthed the words right when the clock turned into 07:00—12.00 A.M. in Africa. Yongguk’s expression from blank turned into a bright, happy expression. He smiled widely, tears glistened on his eyes and he wiped it soon before it flowed along his cheek, “Thank you…” he paused while trying to hold his tears, “I really really appreciate your effort to make this surprise... this is so…” the elder couldn’t say any words, he just grinned like a dumb, “You’re the best!” he gave Junhong two thumbs up. Junhong felt happiness bubbled up in his chest, this was what he waited for while preparing the surprise for the elder.

“Ah, I also prepare champagne for you but since you can’t drink it, I’ll drink it for you and save it on the fridge so you can enjoy it when you come back, Hyung.” he opened the bottle, resulting a ‘pop’ sound, “Hey, I guess I’m better at opening this than you, Hyung.” Yongguk just smiled as he observed his maknae prepared the drink for him. Junhong poured the liquid onto the flute. He put the bottle back on the table and raised the glass, “I’ll say it again, Happy birthday, Hyung.” he drank the champagne a bit, “It’s bitter.” He commented as he put back the glass, “I’m never good with this thing.” Junhong kept mumbling while Yongguk just staring at him lovingly.

“I love you, Junhong-ah.” The elder suddenly said the lovely words, making the younger froze momentarily. A shade of red formed on his cheeks as he stared at his beloved elder, who staring back at him with eyes full of love. The person he adored since the first time he knew him. The person he loved for almost seven years. The person who meant the life to him. the person who made him the person he was now. Junhong finally broke into a smile as he spoke the words, “I love you too, Hyung. Happy birthday.”


Romance isn't my thing, really... ahahahahaha... please enjoy this fic and feel free to comment :))