Ten (Kyungsoo POV)

Because we're family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So we're going back in time a little here...

Minseok 5
Luhan 5
Joonmyun and Jongdae 2 (almost 3)
Baekhyun 14 months

 

There had been times just lately when Kyungsoo had found himself wondering just how he’d ended up where he was. Now was one of those times. It was the day of his eldest son’s first school summer fair and he was standing in the middle of a primary school playing field, surrounded by stalls and games and parents and children, one hand on the handle of his fourteen month old son’s pushchair, his other hand resting on his twenty three week bump. He watched as one of his two year old twins ripped the sun hat from his head for what must have been at least the twentieth time that day and sighed as he watched him throw it to the floor. He was hot and sweaty and uncomfortable, his t-shirt was sticking to his back, his legs ached and the baby he was carrying was doing acrobatics. He really didn’t have the energy to pick it up. But if he didn’t and let Jongdae wander around without a sun hat he was only going to end up red-faced with a headache. With another heavy sigh he stepped forward but Jongdae’s twin beat him to it, picking it up the hat and holding it out to his brother. Jongdae stared at the offered hat for a few seconds then knocked it from Joonmyun’s hand. Then he knocked Joonmyun’s hat from his own head for good measure.

Kyungsoo was about ready to scream. Why? Why would Jongdae do that? What was his issue? Joonmyun was standing there now, in shock, staring at his Spiderman baseball cap that was now on the grass and his bottom lip was starting to tremble. He was going to cry wasn’t he? He was going to start bawling and people were going to start staring.

Okay, so people had already been staring. He’d caught more than a few sympathetic looks being thrown in his direction. He didn’t mind that so much because to be honest he wasn’t having the best day. Baekhyun was teething and not happy about it and Jongdae had been acting stubborn and defiant about everything and anything to the point where he wanted to rip his hair out in frustration. He could do with a little sympathy. But there had been a few judgemental looks aimed at him too. And he got it. He’d arrived with four kids aged five and under and quite obviously had another on the way, baby five was a big baby and he was sure he looked more pregnant than he actually was. People probably thought he was crazy. He thought he was crazy sometimes. He’d never planned to be parent of five by the age of thirty. But it was his life and as long as his kids were happy what did it matter? People should mind their own business, focus on their own children instead of questioning his choices or judging his parenting skills. Yes, he was a little stressed, yes he wished Jongin had been able to get time off work so he could come and offer some back up. But he could handle his kids on his own. He did it every day. He’d be fine.

And yes, Joonmyun was now crying his eyes out. It might seem like an overreaction but Joonmyun had always been sensitive and that Spiderman hat was one of his favourite things. He’d been wearing it around the house for days and had taken it to bed with him on more than one occasion. Add to that the fact that everyone was already grumpy due to the heat and the crying wasn’t really a surprise. Jongdae, shocked by his twin’s tears stepped forward, most probably intending to comfort him but Joonmyun, clearly not in the mood to forgive shoved him away. Jongdae, looking betrayed stared at his brother for a good few seconds then expression hardening he stepped forward again and shoved Joonmyun back. Hard.

“Hey!” Kyungsoo found himself shouting, stepping around the pushchair. “Stop! That’s enough!”

Joonmyun and Jongdae did not stop. Jongdae instead threw himself at his brother with a shout and they both tumbled to the floor. Baekhyun, who had been the quitest he had been all day as he chewed on a refrigerated teething ring jumped in surprise and dropped said teething ring. He immediately started to wail.

Kyungsoo hastily grabbed the teething ring from the floor. Too hastily as he was rewarded with a hard kick from his youngest baby and a twinge in his back. With a wince he wiped the g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter