Final

Please Love Him

 

 

-

 

The shrill of my phone's ringtone danced in the air, but it was a beautiful melody to my ears.

It was the special ringtone I set just for him.

Without hesitation, I picked up the device with a smile spread across my face. I didn't have a chance to hear his voice for the past two days because we both are so busy. Now, I'll get to hear him again. And that's right, I'm in love with my best friend. 

But what I hear from the other side is not what I wanted.

"J-Jongdae..." Sehun called out through a sob, and I swear my heart stopped for a moment in worry before it picked up the pace again.

"Sehun? Is everything okay?" I sat up on my bed, my eyes wide.

"Jongin and I... We had another fight." He paused for a moment and I heard a muffled sound in the background.

He was either wiping his tears or covering up a sob.

But either way, I didn't like it.

"Really? Would you wait for a bit? I'll come to pick you up." I said quietly into the mic, already slipping into a sweater and a pair of shoes.

Sehun mumbled something, but it was interrupted by a soft whimper and I closed my eyes with a sigh escaping my lips.

Why do you only keep crying? I thought to myself silently.

"Tell me where you are." My voice came out gentle as I tried to speak to the now fragile male across the line.

"I'm at... I'm at the park. The one Jongin and I met at... You know what I-I'm talking about, right?" Sehun  stuttered and my heart shattered to pieces. 

He and his lover, who's name I didn't even bother to remember, always fight. But this is the first time I've heard Sehun cry- or at least cry this much.

"Yes, I do. I'll be there in a moment; just wait." I hung up and dashed to my car as if I were in a race.

I inserted the key in it's slot and tapped the steering wheel impatiently as I backed up onto the road.

Why is this so slow? I ranted in my mind angrily.

When I got onto the road, I drove quickly to the park Sehun said he was at. It wasn't just the place he met his lover, but also where he and I would meet after school as kids.

Did he already forget those times?

The drive was painful. I hit every stop light I could and I could bet that the world was against me today.

When I arrived at the park, though, I forgot all about that when my gaze fell onto Sehun's shivering body sitting on a bench. 

His yellow locks of hair flowed towards the side as the wind blew, rocking his figure back and forth slightly. It was cold and he was wearing a shirt of short sleeves- is he crazy?

I walked up to him slowly, frowning as he covered his face with his delicate hands. 

Oh, those hands that I ache to hold in mine.

"S-Sehun?" My voice cracked and my heart was thumping so loudly, I was afraid he would hear.

He slowly dropped his hands from his face and looked up at me, his cheeks showing trails of red from tears and his eyes bloodshot from crying.

"That person... Did that person you love just leave you and go?" I felt an anger within me after seeing Sehun so broken like this, especially because I know the very person who's responsible for these tears. 

He didn't respond and instead covered his mouth as another sob racked his body. 

I sighed and held out a hand towards him, biting my lip slightly.

"Hurry, I will take you home." I swallowed hard as I watched him take my hand and stand up before me.

He was slightly taller, yet younger than me. 

I was about to walk back to the car, but I took note of how he shivered so violently. 

Without a word to say, I took off my sweater and pulled it around his figure. He looked at me with eyes that twinkled when the light hit, but I shook my head and smiled warmly. "Let's go, because the wind is cold." And with that, he followed me to my car.

I sat in the driver's seat while he sat in the passenger's seat. I glanced over at him, noticing how he leaned his head against the window and closed his eyes.

He looked so perfect; so angelic.

I couldn't move and I just foolishly stared at him. 

What is so great about the person that makes you cry? I asked in my head, but I didn't dare say it aloud. 

I let out a quiet sigh and started driving towards the direction of his home. The atmosphere was quiet, but not awkward. More like calm and warm.

I was content just being by him, but it made my heart ache in a way I didn't know possible.

You don't know... Only you don't know my heart that loves you.

How do all my friends know yet you don't? You're my best friend, right? Can you really not see it? Why must you be so dense, Oh Sehun?

It was all because my steps were slow I couldn't make it to you first. Now this painful love has taken my spot.

My hold around the steering wheel tightened and my knuckles turned white as the thought of him crossed my mind. 

How could you hurt such an angel? If only I knew your name..

"Jongdae?" Sehun's soft voice broke me out of my thoughts and I glanced over at him with a raised eyebrow. "Yes?" I asked.

"Th-thank you... You're always here for me no matter what, and I'm grateful." He mumbled quietly, looking down at his lap.

A smile instantly graced my face and I shook my head slightly.

"That's what friends are for, right?" My voice wavered at the word "friends".

Do we have to only be friends?

Can't you see that the one who would never make you cry is right here beside you? I've always been right here..

"Of course. That's what friends are for." He looked at me with a smile and chuckled lightly.

Those damn butterflies made their way to my stomach. 

"Your laughing appearance... Did you know it's more beautiful than anyone?" I thought, puffing out my cheeks.

"Aw.. You think so? I should laugh more often, then." He laughed slightly and scratched his head. 

My eyes widened in realization. I didn't mean to say that aloud. 

Now he'll think I'm weirder than I already was- Oh, God, I'm an idiot.

I stayed silent the rest of the ride, and the atmosphere became heavier and more awkward. 

Good going, Jongdae. 

 

-

 

When we arrived at his home, Sehun invited me in. As much as I declined his offer, because I already felt fuzzy inside for my subtle declaration earlier, he forced me in to have dinner.

It was already 8P.M, and Sehun's house was much further than I remembered. 

"As a present, I'll make dinner for you tonight!" Sehun's wide smile greeted me as I first stepped into his house.

I blinked a few times before chuckling and nodding. 

"Okay... But don't burn down the kitchen like you did at my house, yeah?" I grinned teasingly as I recalled the memory of Sehun cooking kimchi spaghetti at my house a month ago.

"Oh, shush! It was only because you kept tickling me!" He glared and I raised my hands up in surrender.

"Hey, not my fault your ticklish." I winked while he huffed.

"Butthole." 

"I love you, too, Hunnie." I blew him a playful kiss and dashed to the living room, leaving him in the kitchen to rant on his own about how terrible I am.

I padded around his living room, looking up at the pictures he has hung up.

I remember most of these pictures being of him and I- but that was five months ago, before he met his present lover.

Now it's all just picures of the two smiling and laughing.

All smiles, all laughs. The movie is never going to be the exact same as the book, right?

Sehun really loves this man; I can tell. By the way he looks and smiles at him in these pictures... He must really love him.

But why must they always fight? It pains me whenever I see Sehun so worn, but to make him cry? This is too much for me. It's difficult loving someone and only being able to watch from the sidelines when they get hurt. 

I'm asking you, whose name I don't know, for just one favor.

"Jongdae-ah! How do you like your steak cooked?" I turned and Sehun appeared from the kitchen door frame, holding up a packet of steak.

I looked over at him, realizing how beautiful this man in front of me was.

I mean, I've always known, but gosh- He looks adorable in his blue polka dot kitchen apron. 

"Prepare it like how you prepare yours." I say and he blinks a few times before grinning and nodding, turning to head back into the kitchen.

I leaned against the wall behind me and closed my eyes. 

Please love him, the man that I love. I directed my thoughts to the person Sehun loved so dearly.

You, who has him and not me... You can't just think about anything else recklessly. I opened my eyes and swallowed hard. 

There was a newfound feeling within me. I didn't know what it was, but I knew that I had to do something today.

I pushed myself off the wall slowly, quietly walking over to the kitchen. I peeked passed the doorframe and saw Sehun's figure there, his back turned to face me as he scratched his head.

That dummy. He at cooking.

Please love him, who doesn't even know my heart.

I took an inaudible yet deep breath, gathering my courage. 

I stepped up behind him, and as if he felt my presence, he turned to look at me with a curious twinkle in his eyes while smiling.

"Yes, Jongd-" But that was all I heard before I pressed my lips to his gently, glancing up into his eyes which widened in shock while he froze in his spot, the tongs he held in his hands clattering to the floor loudly. But that didn't matter to me. Nothing did. Not right now.

Because the one he loves is you, please love him more than I do.

I slowly pulled away and looked down at the floor, swallowing hard.

"I'll see you later, Sehun... I have to go. Enjoy dinner." I said quietly and my heels, hurriedly walking out of the house and back to my car.

But... Was I really ever so brave enough to face him again in the uture after doing that? 

I got into the driver's seat and I released the breath I was holding in for so long.

With shaky hands, I the car and pulled out of the driveway.

When I got onto the road, I took one glance at the rearview mirror at Sehun's house, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw Sehun standing there, his gaze following my car. 

Please don't make him cry again.

 

-

 

"How is life these days? The way you smile bashfully is still like before. 

You're standing here with tears b in your eyes.

Yet again, I prepare myself to meet you by chance today.

I wait for you, I long for you... I long for you.

Now,  I tell myself I've let you go; I try to fool myself, and yet again, 

only my tears flow."

- Kim Jaejoong ; JYJ // "A Sunny Day"

 

 
-
 
 
{ And ta-da! The end of this oneshot. ouo If you would like for me to make a sequel but in Sehun's POV, just comment below! And even if not, just comment your thoughts because I find reading critique on my reading really fun ;; I hope you enjoyed! o/ }