First

A Slice Of Romance

I


 

The weather is really ty these days, the rain wouldn’t stop pouring. It’s starting to affect my mood greatly, the wet sidewalk where I have to walk everyday to get to university, where I got splashed every time a car or any form of transport passed by. It’s not their fault, the people driving these vehicles, but it still annoys me that they are not to be blame of this. 

 

I blame my life, my situation and just myself for not being able to even afford a car. A bike would have been nice, actually maybe not. I wouldn’t want to cycle around in the rain, even worse with an umbrella on one hand and only using one hand to handle the bike. I don’t have that much faith in myself. 

 

I hate having to stand here, under this filthy tiny roof just so I can take shelter from the rain. But for how long? 

 

“Will you stop rolling your eyes?”, says Won Bin, my sweet friend. He’s beside me, also taking shelter from the wet cold droplets of rain. He's giving me a look. His lips purse, his eyes staring directly at me, in a condescending way, what is he trying to say.

 

“Stop looking at me like that, and stop sighing too.” I’m allow to look at anyone I want, they’re my eyes, not someone else. Or are they? Never mind. 

 

He’s starting to look irritated and annoyed, his forehead furrows and he opens his mouth to speak again, but I mutter, “Shhhh,” hold my finger up to his lips and silence him.

 

“It’s the weather, please understand.” Now, it’s his turn to sigh. It’s a sign, a sign that he has given up. 

 

“I’m a friend, aren’t I?” I look down at my shoes, all wet and slimy and groggy and filled with water, trying to swallow up this feeling of hate. weather. friend. .

 

“Stop saying .” Did I say it out loud? Most probably. I look up at him, why is he still looking at me like that? Why is he staring into my eyes, what is he trying to say?

 

“Stop. I’m not trying to say anything. I’m here to make you feel better, remember? And I’m not looking at you in a condescending way, just, I’m here to help, so stop thinking too much.”

 

How does he know what I’m thinking? Weird. I roll my eyes again, for the somthing-th time, I lost count.

 

“Will you stop? You know how I know what you’re thinking. You’re letting me know.” He says, as a matter of factly. 

 

“Come on, this rain will go away soon. It’s just climate change, global warming, nothing more. Don’t think too much.”

 

How can I not think too much? It never rains here, never ever. From what I’ve been taught and heard, raining in a place where it had never rained before only meant one thing.

 

The one thing that can make Won Bin’s face to tense up, his lips to form a thin shape, his eyes to focus. The water splashed. The rain picked up momentum, I looked into the distance, a chill spread across my body like wild fire.

 

“They’re here.”