Chapter Five

Second Chance

Chapter Five

 

It was Sunday and the restaurant is close. Most of the staffs are out to do whatever they do during their day off. As for Chen, he was out to take his dog for a walk early that morning. He had no plans for that day in particular, he went to Seoul last Sunday to attend to some business matters. He did it all in one day so now he has the whole Sunday for himself. Maybe he will go to the ranch later and go horseback riding. The last time he visited the place was more than a year ago.

 

As he walked the quiet streets of Jeju that morning he thought of what happened a few days ago. Giving the stranger that paper bag of bread was a mistake. Chen knew it the moment he thought of it but nothing stopped him from giving it anyway. He can only think of one reason why he did it; he felt a certain connection to the stranger. He felt that he knew the man before, which is weird because he was sure that night was their first meeting.  He quickly dismissed the thought of what transpired that night and the following morning, worrying over such a matter is a waste of time. He didn’t see the man after that morning anyway. He didn’t even know the man’s name.

 

After walking their usual route, Chen and his dog headed back to the restaurant. Along the way he greeted the local residents that were out to get their daily rations of milk and newspaper. He made a few friends in the two years he stayed in Jeju, mostly halmonis and ahjummas.

 

“Joheun achim, Chen-sshi.” The halmoni who resides one block away from the restaurant greeted him.

 

“Annyeong haseyo halmoni. How have you been?” He greeted back and bowed.

 

“I’m okay. God is good.” The halmoni was particularly cheery that morning. “It’s my birthday today!” she added.

 

“Kuraeyo?! Saeng-il chukahamnida halmoni.” Chen greeted the halmoni a happy birthday.

 

“Kamsahamnida Chen-sshi.” The halmoni patted his head. “I’m having a small dinner party later. You should come. Bring your friends.”

 

“Oh! I will surely come halmoni. As for my friends, I might not be able to bring any. My staffs are out for their day off.” Chen explained with a chuckle.

 

“It doesn’t matter if you come alone or with your whole staff. I would be delighted to see all of you in my party.” Halmoni said.

 

“Algessumnida!” Chen saluted.

 

“Aigoo. What a bright boy. I’ll see you later then.” She patted Chen’s head once again and waved goodbye.

 

Chen walked the rest of the way to the restaurant with a smile on his face. As he approached the building he saw a lone figure standing in the restaurant’s doorstep. Chen assessed that it was a man. A tourist maybe who didn’t know their operating schedules. He watched the man as he saw the sign that the restaurant was close for that day. He imagined the man’s disappointed sigh as he turned around. As the man started walking away from the door he saw Chen, at the same time Chen realized who the man was. It was the man from that night. The man Chen told about the secret of the stars and the man he offered bread without any apparent reason. By the guarded look he saw etched on the man’s face, Chen knew the man recognized him as well.

 

“Annyeong.” The man said when he was a few steps in front of Chen.

 

“Annyeong haseyo.” Chen answered back.

 

The man looked down and kicked some stones before turning his gaze back to Chen.

 

“You guys are close on Sundays?” He asked.

 

“Yes.” Chen replied shortly.

 

“Aw. to be me.” The man stage-whispered. “I came here thinking about breakfast and got this instead.” He explained and pointed to the closed door of the restaurant.

 

“We’re close every Sunday since we opened the restaurant five years ago.” Chen can’t help but be offended by the man’s tone. The man has no business using that tone on him.

 

“Oh. I’m sorry if I offended you with the way I just talked. My bad.” The man said after he saw Chen’s expression.

 

Chen didn’t reply and just stood there with a defiant look on his face.

 

“I’m sorry.” The man repeated his apology and looked directly at Chen’s eyes. And there it was again, the feeling that he knew this man before. Chen had to look away first.

 

Before he looked away though Chen saw that the man was sincere. Maybe hunger has just made him cranky that morning.

 

“Are you really that hungry?” He asked the man to break the silence that once again enveloped them.

 

“Yes. I didn’t eat anything resembling food since you gave me those breads.” The man said. The man smiled at Chen as he mentioned the bread.

 

“Are you trying to kill yourself?” Chen couldn’t help but ask. He also had to cringe internally for being reminded of that one stupid act.

 

The man chucked at the question. “Honestly, No. I was just too tired to go out and eat and now that I had the energy to go out, all the stores in this area are closed.”

 

“Oh. to be you then.” Chen replied.

 

The man looked at him again. He was clearly uncomfortable for having his words thrown back at him.

 

“I’m just kidding.” Chen laughed. “Let me see what I can get you.”

 

“You can do that?” The man asked in disbelief. “I thought you were the bartender, are you the chef as well?”

 

“Yes and no.” Chen answered back. “Just give me minute. I’ll just take my dog out back. Wait for me at the front door.” He added.

 

Chen tugged at his dog’s leash and walked towards the back of the restaurant. There he served his dog a bowl of dog food and water. He then entered the restaurant through the back door.

 

He found the man standing awkwardly outside. He opened the front door and let the man in.

 

“Sorry for bothering you this early.” The man said as he entered the restaurant.

 

“Oh. It’s nothing.” Chen replied.

 

“Thanks.”

 

“So what do you want for breakfast?” Chen asked the man.

 

“Do I get to choose?” The man regarded him with wary eyes.

 

“Actually… No.” Chen replied sheepishly.

 

“I thought so.” The man replied with a smile.

 

He led the man to the kitchen and let him sit at the counter. He rummaged through the refrigerator and took out the ingredients for omurice. He was hungry himself and craving for omurice. He just has to make enough servings for two people.

 

“Can I ask you a question?” Chen asked the man sitting at the counter.

 

“Sure.” The man said.

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“My name is Baekhyun, Byun Baekhyun.” The man replied. “And you are?”

 

“Call me Chen.”

 

“It’s nice to finally know your name, Chen-sshi.” The man said and offered his hand for a handshake.

 

“Same here.” Chen replied.

---

[A/N] Happy birthday to our Baekhyun!