Chapter One

Second Chance

Chapter One

 

The smell of the morning air in Jeju is the best thing the place has to offer. The wind carries off the smell of the ocean and the promise of a beautiful day. Since he came to Jeju, Chen makes it a point to wake up early and enjoy this gift from nature.

 

Today was just like any normal day in the island. He woke up early and went jogging by the shore. He watched the sunrise, listened to the sound of the crashing waves and enjoyed the comings and goings of the seagulls looking for food. He does not need to rush his morning activities as his job at the restaurant does not require a fix time-in schedule. In fact he doesn’t need to be there until lunch when people start trickling in.

 

He was fiddling with the button on his jacket when he noticed a bottle floating in the water. He hates it when he sees garbage thrown carelessly into the water. Can’t people learn how to dispose their wastes properly? With a sigh he took off his shoes and started wading into the water to pick the bottle. The water was so cold he let out a curse and as if the waves are playing games with him, he spent forever trying to retrieve the bottle. He considered giving up but his inner OCD told him to just pick the bottle and be done with it.

 

When he finally retrieved the bottle and was able to put on his shoes, he made a mad dash to his apartment on the second floor of the restaurant with the bottle in hand. It wasn’t until he changed clothes that he paid attention to the bottle that caused him so much discomfort this morning. It was a generic soju bottle with the cap still intact but instead of soju inside, he found a rolled up piece of paper. He can barely make out the writings on the paper as he inspected the bottle.

 

“Huh! Message in a bottle? How typical!” he said to no one in particular. He debated between throwing the bottle with its contents into the trash can and reading the message for curiosity’s sake. His mother once told him that he was a little too curious as a child and apparently he still got it as he grew up.

 

Without even thinking the consequences of reading someone else’s letter, he proceeded into opening the bottle and taking out the paper. The penmanship was ugly but it is still readable. Without expecting anything and thinking it was just some cheesy letter written by a hormonal teenager, he read it;

 

Dear Yeol,

How are you? I know that’s a stupid question but I can’t help it. I’ve asked you that question a hundred times before that I feel I should start this letter by asking you that. I know you’re doing well right now, great even. I know you’ve finally found peace.

I have something to confess. I miss you. No, scratch that. I terribly miss you. There is not a day since you left that I don’t miss you. I miss waking up in the morning and seeing your face next to mine. I miss your hearty laugh when you found something funny. I miss your deep voice that never failed to comfort me. I miss your careful hands that soothe me when I have nightmares. I miss your kiss, I miss your touch, I miss the smell of you and above all, I miss YOU. I miss you so much it hurts.

I need to confess this too. You know that promise I made?  The promise I made that I will go on living, that I will give love a second chance, that I will find happiness again. I am sorry but I don’t think I can do it.  It’s hard to do those things when I know I’ve already found the best. I’ve already found you. You are my one true love. The other half of my soul.

 How can God be that cruel? How can he take you away from me? It’s unfair. I don’t think I will ever find someone like you again… not in this lifetime.

 

Love,

Baek

---

Chen read the letter twice and he didn’t even realize that he was crying while reading it.