Siblings

The Ones Who Walk Away

 

 

 

Disowned…

 

Kim Jaejoong and his sister Taeyeon were disowned by all of their relatives after a tragic accident had taken away both of their parents’ lives.

 

He and his sister sat together under the eaves of a locked shop, shivering as rain poured madly down on them. Water dribbled massively, wetting them to the bones. Young Taeyeon sneezed violently and shivered, so Jaejoong huddled her closer to share body heat in attempt to warm her up.

 

Her fragile fingers clutched at his soaked back and with her other hand, Taeyeon tried to cover up the rumbling in her stomach, as if looping an arm around her waist would help mute it down. She wasn’t sure when was the last time she’d eaten. It must have been days before. Same went for her brother too. She looked up at Jaejoong from under her lashes and whispered in his chest, “Oppa, we need to find you something to eat tonight,”

 

Jaejoong’s fist clenched wanting to throw a punch at the world for putting them in such circumstances. He was four years older than Taeyeon so he needed to do something about her hunger. He too was hungry—he’d admit that much even if he hated it. He hated feeling vulnerable in front of Taeyeon, and right then, this exactly how he felt. But he needed to do something.

 

“Taeyeon-ah, you wait here. Oppa’s going to get you something to eat, okay?” But Taeyeon refused to let go of his clothing. “I don’t want to!” She shook her head, “Plus! The bakery and every other shops are closed right now, and we don’t have any money.” Her tiny hands still won’t let go of him. Jaejoong knew she must have thought he’d abandon her like everyone else they knew did. Rubbing aimless circles on her back seemed to calm her down a little, and a promise along the lines “I'll be with you forever” did the trick, and soon though with evident distaste, Jaejoong eyed a green small bin by a bakery and made his way towards it. It was fairly filled then, and cats were going to find it as soon as the rain stops. ing his hand in, he pulled it out with an eatable, burnt-at-the-edges loaf of bread. A small smile ghosted his mouth and he broke the piece into two uneven one. He gave Taeyeon the bigger part and chewed away at the smaller one.

 

His hunger had died down aynway, whether by the revulsion or lack of appetite, he didn’t know and didn’t care that much anyway. He’d just hoped the day would end and tomorrow would come so he can start looking again for a job and a place to shelter his little sister. After finishing her meal, Taeyeon turned and buried her face into  Jaejoong’s chest and cried. This time he didn’t do anything, just help her until she slept.

 

 

 

 

A year later Jaejoong stood at the entry of a big house smiling and waving away at his sister departure. Taeyeon waved feverishly while holding tightly onto her boyfriend’s hand as they moved towards the gate. Two days later, Jaejoong received an informative letter telling him that his sister had moved to Canada and has been gracefully wedded to the man she loved there. He never stopped smiling that day, not until some unfortunate news came knocking on his door. Literally. Butler Lee came into his office and was a crying mess. He informed Jaejoong that his father was asking to see him in his death bed.

 

It was time, already. Jaejoong’s eyes welled up with tears. He was going to send away the person who took him in and raised him up for the past twelve years. Not something on the top of a list of things he wanted to do, but he knew his adoptive father was sick and the day would come for him to say goodbye. 

 

Jaejoong folded the letter and placed it in the drawer before leaving the study room. He then met up with Butler Lee and gave him a single pat on the shoulder to convey his pre-condolences. “Where’s Yunho?” Jaejoong referred to his younger step-brother. “Not here, sir. I’ll send after him in a minute.” Butler Lee replied.

 

“He’s father’s son. He must be the one saying goodbye at a moment like this, not me” Jaejoong said in his usual, collected voice. Butler was a little shocked at what he heard. “You know Mr. Jung counts you his son just as much as he does Yunho, Jaejoong-ssi.” Jaejoong sighed and then nodded. “I know this is how he feels about me, but the paperwork in his drawer says Jung Yunho is the only shareholder in Dirty Fun. Me and you, we both know, Yunho is the only successor of our father after he dies. Can you explain to me why Yunho should let me live under the roof of this house after our father dies, knowing that I have no money to contribute or give?”

 

“Mr. Yunho thinks so highly of you, Jaejoong-ssi,” the butler said. “It is ridiculous to think that he might even think of throwing you out. Don’t you know how much he loves you, sir? How much he looks up to you?”

 

“Money makes human crazy, Mr. Lee. I don’t have to retell you the telltale of my relatives and what they’ve done to me and my sister just so they could take our money.”

 

“And you think Mr. Yunho would do you such harm after he gets his father’s wealth?” argued butler Lee.

 

“It’s better to be prepared for anything,” Jaejoong stated plainly.

 

“It’s very unfortunate to know this is how you think of him when all he does is praise and write love poems about you." With that Butler Lee turned around and headed for the sevants’ wing. It was best he made his call right then. He didn’t want Yunho to miss the last words with his father.