Chapter Two

Maybe Tomorrow

“Faster! Let’s go, let’s go! Come on Zelo!” Himchan yelled. Himchan is in charge of the section that we are grouped with. Today is his day to run the training course. I jumped up, wiped the mud off my face and sprinted to the tires. “You’re slower than you were yesterday! How is that even possible you’ve only been doing the same course for six months now you should be improving!” my leg got caught and I tripped falling onto the muddy, worn out tires. “Aish! Come on! Once you’re finished we can all go and eat!” I blew the bangs out of my face and stood up quickly finishing the course. Everyone in my section sat nearby waiting. The rest of the groups went on to eat lunch. “Finally!” Himchan yelled as he walked over to the guys sitting on the side. “Let’s go eat guys,” he said as they all groaned 'yes' before quickly making their way to the cafeteria. I walked slowly behind, keeping my head lowered out of embarrassment.

“It’s okay Zelo, you’ll get it soon,” Jongup smiled as he handed me his towel to wipe my face and hands.

“I hope so,” I replied giving him his towel back as we walked into the cafeteria. It was mostly our two sections eating since everyone finished on time. Jongup and I got our food before walking over to our usual table. We approached hearing Daehyun and Youngjae fighting, as usual.

“No, no, no, no, no, no, you don’t understand. That makes no sense at all! Why would you even think that?  Are you gonna’ eat the rest of your kimchi?” Daehyun spoke a mile a minute.

“Haha! What do you mean that makes no sense? I’m not stupid!  It makes perfect sense! I think you’re the one who doesn’t understand, and no you can have it.” Youngjae replied pushing his leftover kimchi onto his plate.

Jongup and I sat down confused. Jongup rooms with both Daehyun and Youngjae, so that’s how we met. I was surprised he can handle rooming with them, but he tells me he doesn’t mind. I began to eat when I saw someone push a glass of water in front of me. I looked over to see Yongguk pushing water over for Jongup and I. Himchan sat next to him telling him a story, but Yongguk seemed to be disinterested. He was off in another world. Since Himchan and Yongguk were in charge of our sections they roomed together as well and became good friends. Himchan liked Jongup for some reason, so this is how our table came to be. I don’t know why, but we always sit here. I don’t talk much, but Yongguk doesn’t either, so I guess they don’t mind. We were about to finish eating when another section ran in.

“Yongguk, Himchan!” they yelled. Yongguk and Himchan looked up, a bit startled. “The sergeant called for you, he says it’s urgent.” Yongguk and Himchan looked at each other before grabbing their jackets and running off. The room was silent for a few seconds before everyone started to talk about what could be going on.

“I wonder what’s going on,” Daehyun said stuffing the last of the kimchi into his mouth.

“Ah it’s probably nothing,” Youngjae replied reassuringly.

I wish he was right.