Chapter o1

Love is Punishment

The park was awfully quiet in the late hours in the evening. Usually, it would be filled with little kids playing at the nearby playground, but today, as though they knew better than to interfere, not even a soul was in sight.

On one of the old woody benches, a lone figure was seen sitting on the edge of it, with her long brunette curls covering almost half of her face. Her head hung down low, her gaze fixed on the worn out Converse sneakers she was wearing.

Lost in her own thoughts, she didn’t realise another figure approaching her until she heard the footsteps a couple of metres away from her. A shadow fell upon her, causing her to freeze momentarily and slowly, she lifted up her head to see who had come to disturb her peace.

 Thinking that it was her brother or perhaps her mother, she was ready to retaliate and ask them to leave her alone. She was tired of explaining that this was the only way she could cope with his absence. She was tired of ensuring that she was completely fine when all that she wanted to do was collapse from exhaustion right there and then.

Missing him too much was taking up every ounce of her energy.

But the second her eyes met those of the stranger’s, she wished she hadn’t look up. She wished she had heeded her mother’s advice and hadn’t come to the park again.

She wished for once, her eyes were playing tricks on her.

He stood there right in front of her, just a couple of steps away; with his two hands shoved into his jeans pockets. His white polo-T was tucked out slightly with the top button left undone – just the way he loved wearing it. He was even wearing his favourite pair of faded denims, the ones she had bought for him years ago.

In fact everything about him looks exactly the same as the memory she has of him from 3 years ago. Except for the fact that his once young boyish face has now matured into a more grown up man and he had trimmed his hair, giving it a slightly sharper edge, enhancing his already perfect jawline.

What are you doing here? Am I actually dreaming now?

She wanted to ask him but somehow, her voice got stuck in , the words unable to be poured out loud.

I’m sorry. I’m sorry for leaving you behind without any news all these while...

The words replayed in his mind as he took another step closer towards her.

They told me you weren’t going to come back. They told me you were dead...

She stared back at him with emotionless eyes.

I just want to leave the past behind and start afresh with you...

He kept his gaze fixed on her as he took the final step and set himself down on the bench, next to her.

Can we...

Can we just...

Her breathing was deep and low now as she tried to steady her accelerating heartbeat due to his sudden presence. She could feel the tears b in her eyes so she averted them away from him before he could manage to catch a glimpse of her sadness.

...get back together?

...end things here, once and for all?