Day Five

Project Soojung

The camera's monitor is half-filled with the view of a blurry marble counter and more in-focus shot of Soojung's studio apartment. There's a faint rustling sound of plastic as she relines her kitchen's trash can before there's a dull clunk and the camera is picked up. She isn't in the frame yet, but Soojung surveys the small space of her living room slash bedroom before plopping down on her couch. She talks as she swivels the camera around to face the lens on her.

"Today is the twenty-sixth of March, and I am tired."

The fatigue she speaks of is evident in her voice and the droopiness of her eyelids, and as she brings her left hand up to push back locks of her hair, her right hand falters with the camera a little bit before she brings her knees up and uses them as support. "Nonetheless," she begins, "I shall go on because I need to stop pushing these off for a day. At least I've been doing these every other day -- I'm quite proud, actually."

Waving her slim cellphone around so that the camera can catch it in motion, she opens up her memo app and reads off, "Day five: resources and abilities. Where did I learn my abilities?" She makes a confused expression and puts her phone down in between her stomach and lap. "Abilities? Like... my photo... graphy?" There's a slight pause as she wraps her mind around that possibility. "Well, if so, then I don't know how to really answer this question. I kinda just liked taking pictures when I was in... maybe elementary school or something? I really liked Picture Day because it gave me a chance to see how the ahjusshis took our pictures for the yearbook and stuff, and I remember being completely infatuated with the giant cameras. There were no fancy-schmancy digital contraptions like this--" (she wiggles the camera around in her hands) "--thing here for Picture Day until some year, but man, I really ing wanted that camera with the black curtain thing you have to go under to take a negative."

She pauses again, a smile forming on her lips as she momentarily thinks about the beauty of film cameras. "But yeah, anyway, I didn't think photography could be an actual choice for a job until probably fifth or sixth grade. But that's when I really just started pushing my parents to get me any kind of 'professional' camera that was out on the market, and I was blessed enough for my mom to hand me her old Canon film. The rest is pretty much history, as they say. I was the only middle-schooler to be able to get a class in the Art Center program for high school students during the summer, and I attended a ton of them, lemme just tell you. I got really close with the professors, and they opened so many doors to great opportunities for me, which really just led up to this moment right now. Really, if it weren't for Art Center, I don't think working for all these magazines and celebrities and, just, everything would have happened."

Her eyes quickly glance down at her phone for the next question. "Oh, that ties in really well with this next one -- where's my income coming from and if I like my job. I don't really have a monthly income like other people do, I get my paycheck when either the event or whatever photo shoot I'm working on is over. Extra money comes in with every album purchase if it's a jacket shoot, every magazine sold if it's an editorial type of thing (or any advertisement, of course, but that's a separate story by itself), and yeah. I also do side events like the underground shows and whatnot, but that's way more fun than anything I've done, and even if I don't get paid for that, I'm totally fine.

"Coworkers, though, that really depends on what kind of thing I'm shooting. I mean, people like Sassy are always going to be around me cause he's my assistant, but the whole experience of the day depends on how the model acts towards you, and if it's an idol group or something, they better ing have some manners-- actually, their managers better have manners too; I don't let that fly if one person is rude. Just 'cause I'm young doesn't mean they can treat me with disrespect." She makes a curt nod at this, her expression serious for a moment before she visibly relaxes against the couch. 

"Anyway, I looked at the next day's questions, but they're kind of confusing and seem to fuse well with today, so I decided to address that slightly. Wait-- I actually already did," she trails off, "everything that helped me get to this point was from that decision to enroll myself in Art Center programs, and everything's been amazing ever since."

Her nose scrunches as she takes a moment to yawn, tears pooling in her eyes from the action. "God, I'm so tired. I'm pretty sure nothing I said in this log made sense, but I'm not gonna re-do it." She smiles at the camera with even sleepier eyes than she started out with, speaking in her usual Konglish, "Day five, end."

She clicks the camera off.

 

-----

892.