Changes

Changes

My phone rang for the 5th time that day. I didn’t bother answering it, I…don’t really know why, but it’s all becoming all too real. Since Bom unnie graduated, our little group started, well, it didn’t really fell apart, but it just didn’t felt the same. You know? Since the four of us has always been together since grade school. Even if we have this s between us; me being the youngest and Bom, the eldest, we all just clicked. I guess you could say that we all have one common denominator between us and that’s our love for music.

I sighed as I laid back down on my bed because my legs are getting cramped for sitting cross-legged for hours now was starting to catch up to me. I grabbed my phone on my bed side table to look at the time; I didn’t bother looking at the missed calls since I know it’s just CL. Probably just checking up on me since I went to bed early last night, it’s not unusual, but it’s not really me? I stay up till the wee hours of the morning just typing away on my laptop or playing games. CL would join me and we’d end up having laughter fits and teasing till we get tired and she’d retire to her room. I felt my blush creep up on me and I just know that the red was evident on my cheeks now.

CL, I don’t know where to begin with that girl. She makes my heart flutter; her smile alone is enough to give me the push I need for the day. I don’t even know if what I felt for her was admiration. For the course of the years I knew her, I know that somewhere along the line, I fell, hard. For her, for what she is, for whatever reason that makes CL tick. I just know that I’m in deep…deep unexplainable feelings for her and it’s not going away anytime soon.

My phone rang again, but this time I picked up. My ears were filled with CL’s heavenly voice. I was so busy admiring her that I forgot that she was telling me something…what was that again? “Minji, you there?” she asked. Ah yes, I totally forgot that I was supposed to meet her at some place so we can go together to Dara’s graduation ceremony. “Yeah, yeah I’m here.” She let out a sigh. She’s worried, I can feel it. I didn’t mean to sound tired or sad or anything. “So uh, yeah, I’m going now. See you soon alright?” I said to disperse any worry she had. “Okay, but hurry up and I know that you’re still sitting you down on your bed.” I chuckled and I can feel on the other line that she relaxed. “Hmmm, yeah see you.”

 

I could have sworn I spotted CL 5miles away since her hair was dyed...uh, do I explain it. Blonde? It’s too bright to be blonde, but oh well. She looked like a Lioness with her…blonde hair. I used to a lot about being a wild animal and…I have a feeling that she’s also wild on some other thin-

“There’s my favorite eromaknae.” Oh man she noticed me. I was planning on jumping her for a preemptive strike.

“CL; your majesty.” I said as I courtesied. She smiled and hugged me.

“Hmmm, what’s gotten into you?” She said as she draped her arm around me.

“Ah, nothing much, just…school’s getting to me and Dara unnie’s graduation, you know?” She raised her perfectly shaped eyebrow that I always wonder how she maintained, but that’s her I guess; mysterious and perfect, as always. “Well, whatever, it’s not going to change. Nothing’s going to change, okay?” she reassured me. Somehow, all my doubts from that morning were washed away by her reassuring tone. That’s her, that’s the CL we love; fearless, majestic leader. I mean, she has the mane, right? She’s our leader. We always follow her around. She founded this small group that consisted of me, Dara unnie and Bom unnie. We’re the best of friends and we still are. Always have and always will be. Together as we all face the scary world that we live in.

“You’re spacing out again.” She said as she rubbed my shoulder. Her arm was still draped around me. It felt protective and nice. I rest my head on her shoulder as I sighed and fixed my bangs away from my face.

 “ahhh, it’s just this whole graduation thing you know?” She just kept quiet waiting for me to continue. “It’s getting to me and well, Dara’s going, I know that you felt the same way when Bom unnie graduated. And it didn’t felt quite the same.” I felt thumb rub random shapes on my shoulder. I took it as sign to continue. “Well, I’m at least happy for Dara and Bom unnie since they’re going to have a lot of time together now. You know, since they got Together, together.” Since middle school CL and I have been talking and betting on whether those two would get together. After a lot of private arguments over the phone, we settled with along the lines of High School or College. She placed her bet on their second year and I placed mine on their junior high of college. To our surprise, they got together around our second year of middle school. So I guess no one won and no one owed anything. To this day we didn’t tell them that we made bets on their relationship for fearing that we might have overstepped some boundaries, but what the hell.

CL stopped walking and I was pulled along with her. She grabbed my arm and, I swear to whatever god there is, it looked like she was going to either cry or suddenly breakdown. My worries were washed away when she smiled, although a sad one, but it’s still something. “You know we’d always be together, right? The four of us. We started together, we end together. We promised and I think that’s enough, really.”

“Yeah, yeah it is.” We were silent for that whole walk and even during Dara unnie’s graduation, and even the four of us got together again over dinner. Bom unnie went to watch her girl get her diploma and welcome her to a new and exciting world that is college.

“…So, as I was saying, you can stay over my apartment. I have two rooms so you can get the other one you know.” Bom said as she slurped down her noodles. CL and I weren’t a big fan of ramen so we just ordered whatever meat we can get our hands on…or in our case, allowance.

“Dara unnie, Bom unnie…I have a confession to make.” After speaking up, I immediately felt six pairs of eyes and a choking CL. “You’re not confessing what I think you’re confessing…” CL said after recovering from her “near death experience” as Dara unnie puts it. “What, they’re not attending the same school as us now, it’s not like they’re going to beat us up or anything.” I said. CL shrugged then continued eating.

“As I was saying…CL and I placed bets on your love life.” After those words left my mouth I heard laugher. They were laughing, it’s nice, that means they’re not mad, right?

“Oh Minji. Don’t you think I can hear you arguing with CL about it.” Both CL and my eyebrows raised.

“Ah, we know okay. And no, we’re not mad.”  Bom said. I slowly nodded and went back to eating.

“ooh, well, wow. Okay then I guess CL and I felt kinda guilty for nothing.” So I guess that both the Unnies got together around middle school before graduation then deepened their relation- oh jeez so what were those noises that I kept on hearing during those nights.

“Whoa, Minji calm down!” I heard CL said. Apparently, I started coughing and choking on my food. What can I say? Revelations at a graduation dinner.

For what seemed like hours, the dinner ended with us hugging and everyone wishing luck, especially with our two unnies. “You two stay in school. Dara and I will be waiting for you.” Bom said as she fixed her hand bag with Dara unnie clinging on her arm. CL and I stood and waved as we watch the two walk away to disappear into the dark horizon. The sun has long taken its deep slumber and the moon was shining brightly illuminating our way. After the dinner, both CL and I kept quiet again. Probably the same things that ran in our minds were the same. What now? Will we still be able to hang out after all these?

“Ah Minji.” I heard her called out. I looked at her and wow, every time she just takes my away. She always does that, she doesn’t know how much the moonlight is highlighting her face right now, her face, her eyes, the slight wrinkles whenever she smiles.

“I… Have to tell you something. Before you know, everything starts to change and we won’t be able to stop it. At least let me tell you this important thing because I can’t keep it anymore.” I somehow know where this is going; I can’t stop my heart from beating fast. I can’t stop my sweating and the slight nausea I feel. Somehow I just know.

“You know you can tell me anything.” I smiled to re-assure her and grabbed her hand and gave a small squeeze.

“How should I put this…Ah, your eyes minji. I love it, the way your lips curl down when you don’t get what you want. The way your nose scrounges up whenever you get a little frustrated with building your gundams.” I gave a small chuckle and laid my head on her shoulder as we continue walking.

“The way you dance, wow, damn girl you got it.” I laughed and slapped her on her arm playfully. “But in all seriousness. You. You’re everything. You make my heart beat fast even if I just think of you. You make me want to just write a rap song about every little thing. Just to let out my pent up frustration of not having you around to hug me all the time.” She stopped walking and pulled me close. I wasn’t surprised at all. I knew this was coming. We both knew this was coming.

I fixed her hair, put a lose strand of hair behind her ear and leaned in closer. There was hesitance, but she didn’t move away. She patiently waited for me to close the gap and gave her a long sweet kiss.

“So it’s safe to say that we both feel the same way for each other? Yeah?” She said while putting her arms around me. I nodded and gave her another peck on the lips. “Yes, Mi’lady.”

“Oh, I’m liking this already.” I smiled and clearly, she saw that I wasn’t getting her.

“We can put this into good use…I’m your Queen, and you’re my princess…or King, whatever you want.” I nodded as I got what she was referring to. “Ah My Queen, that’s nice.”

“So, how about we go back to my plac-“  And In a blink of an eye, our private moment was shattered by a very, very familiar voice that we were sure that walked away and made sure that they were out of our sight before we started walking back to our place.

“I knew it Dara! Pay up!” Whoa, that..voice. Bommie? And…Dara? Both figures stepped out of a near-by bush. Both have a guilty look on their face and blush painting their cheeks.

“You weren’t the only ones who placed a bet on their friend’s love life.” Dara said smiling.

 

And from that moment on, after all the hugs and laughters we shared. Nothing will change. We’re going to be together forever. The four of us against the world.