Unfinished Stories

Come Back Home

Glancing upon the reflection of a girl with straight jet black hair in a white baggy jumpsuit and tinted rectangular shades, I smile. Perfect, she thinks to herself. Excitedly, she dashes to the nearest store, money in one hand and a note in the other.

'Lets have dinner today. Just the two of us. ''

I beam as I throw anything that looks delicious inside the shopping basket. Bread, meat, corn, watermelon - anything. Money is no barrier today - today the world is for just the two of us, today will be perfect. Nothing will get in the way.

Not that pale woman with the black eyes and messy hair who comes to visit you every so often. Not  those small white circular objects you clutch on to like your life depends on it. It will just be the two of us.

The mere thought makes every cell in my body radiate with pure joy! Even the ahjumma at the till notices my happy expression, her eyes (behind identical glasses to mine) crinkle into a smile. She compliments my glowing skin, adding that it’s nice to see me like this again. She asks for the reason, to which I simply smile and reply, “I’m visiting paradise on Earth tonight.”
Hearing this, her eyes die a little, but her smile remains. My bubbling curiosity fades when the ahjumma presents a single primrose in front of me, insisting that it was a gift. I accept after gratefully thanking her and skip out of the shop; bags in hands, flower behind ear. Rushing back home, I giggle as the memories of our first date rush back, a sense of de ja vu rushing alongside. Hand in hand, we walked under the hot pink lights I run under now. Hand in hand, I blushed at the action of you placing the same flower behind my ear, only moments before.

Arriving at what was now our doorstep, I stumble for the key in my pocket. Slottingarrow-10x10.png the key in and turning the lock, I step in to the usual silent house. But today, today something felt…off. Yet terribly familiar.

Shoes off, bags down, I call your name. No answer, the usual. 
I knock on the door of our room, waiting for a reaction. No reaction, pretty usual.
I turn the handle of our room, searching for a resting body on your side of our bed. No body, unusual.. 
I dart for your bedside table, searching for your pills. No pills, very unusual..

Panic accumulates through every muscle of my body, everything slows down. Too frightened to turn my head towards the entrance of the bathroom, I shake uncontrollably. Blacking out, shutting down, I come in contact with the slightly damp floor. No….not today…the world was supposed to be ours...

I wake up in the same room, only now it was dimly lit with hot pink lights and full of machinery. Sighing at the familiar failure, I tear off the transparent rectangular shades from my head and throw it to the ground. Rising from my bed wearing only a black jumpsuit, I retrace the steps you took to exit home. The note you left still stuck on the wall next to the bathroom, just like it was a year ago.

'Paradise on Earth? Virtual paradise? 
I’ve left in search for what we all desire.’

Using your now scentless handkerchief, I wipe off the red tears that trickle down once again as I read the words for the nth time, snapping back to reality.
 

I am trapped in time without you
I can’t see what’s in front of me, I’m so scared

Looking at the tear stained cloth that I refuse to throw away, I’ve decided.

The only thing left here is your shadow.
My longing for you tortures me more than my loneliness
Seems like I can catch the sound of your laughter
But the moments weakly scatter like a sand castle

In a time where everything changes, the one thing that doesn’t change
Is that I’m your queen, you’re my ruler.


If you won’t come back home, I’ll follow you like a menace. Where ever you go, to whatever depths.

Bath pluggedarrow-10x10.png in, taps .

Even to the end of the world.

 

Happy endings are stories that haven’t ended yet.


*celebrates bc depressingarrow-10x10.png writing is back* whoop! not sure of it's better or worse, but hey. welcome back depressingssi.

can you guess who the main char is? (if not bjs, im so very disappointed in you.)

comment and critisize away (please, i emphasise the critisize)