Chapter 2. The shortest road.

TWIST OF FATE...OR MAYBE NOT?

Chapter 2. The shortest road.

 

Ha Ni braved going to Seoul alone to find that CEO Baek Soo Chang. She had to try talking to his father’s friend for reconsideration. That was the least she thought she had to do. She found his office address from the internet. Afterall, a rich businessman was not that really difficult to locate.

********************

 

“Miss Ha Ni…Miss…time to wake up for class. Miss?” The family’s housekeeper reluctantly opened Ha Ni’s door when she did not hear any response. She found an empty bed and a neatly folded note on top of the bedside table. For Omma and Appa. She immediately passed it on to Min Young who was at that moment waiting in the dining room for breakfast.

 

“I went out for a while to think. Don’t worry about me. I’ll come home soon.” Ha Ni's mother read the note. “And sorry if I did not wake you up to say bye. I’ll be good. Don’t worry much.” Min Young did not know what to do. It was the first time Ha Ni went away like that, without any clue as to where she was going.

 

“Just let her be, yeobo. She might need time to absorb everything,” Mr. Oh calmed his wife. “It is for the best. For her future.”

 

********************

 

Ha Ni breathed deeply before entering the building. Most the structure was made of marble, granite and glass. Impressive. Just like my appa’s office. The office of CEO Baek was at the topmost floor according to the receptionist. As it was a busy start of a workday, many people were boarding the elevator. Ha Ni tried squeezing herself in, but she failed. She backed a little to get out of the elevator just before it closed its door. A clumsy girl that she was, her right foot suddenly slipped! Damn! Not again! This couldn’t be happening today! She almost fell backwards if not for the man who luckily caught her back and helped her stand.

 

Ha Ni turned and got a glance of the most handsome face she ever saw. She immediately felt self-conscious and embarrassed. “Mianhe.” Then she bowed profusely while uttering her thanks.

 

The man did not even stop to give her another look. He was running late for his class in the university. “Just look where you’re stepping next time, Miss. It’s not everyday someone catches your fall,” he said smartly before he slid out of the glass door exit of the building main lobby.

 

Ha Ni’s nose flared. She felt like an idiot bowing there to someone who apparently just passed her by. To someone who obviously thought of her as some clumsy girl who couldn’t even watch her steps…well, truth be told, Oh Ha Ni was always known to be an accident-prone girl. No one ever treated her as rudely as that before. Too bad…nice face but not enough manners.

 

********************

 

Seung Jo drove his car to the maximum speed limit of the road. He did not want to be late for a class. He might be a party person but he was a very responsible student, too. He was actually one of a kind: rich, popular and smart. He was a constant face in clubs and other events, but at the same time a consistent top rank student in his university. He was also even able to help in his father’s business at times. He was really very different from most guys his age who did not know how to balance fun and school. To cap it all off, he was blessed with a finely chiseled face and a nicely toned body many guys envied and girls adored. Actually, his physical appearance was his instant selling point. And the more people got to know him, the more they respected him for being an all-around person.

 

One minor flaw: he never took any girl seriously. ‘Collect and never select’ was his principle when it came to girls. He was charming to them when he wanted to but most of the time he was arrogant and indifferent. He never ran out of smug and scathing words, too. But then again, most people liked him for what he was. Afterall, he  was Baek Seung Jo.

 

********************

 

Oh Ha Ni waited for an hour for CEO Baek to finish his teleconference meeting before she was ushered into the chairman’s office. She was just surprised that they did not ask for any scheduled appointment from her. She just mentioned her name and the CEO just gave the signal to his secretary to let her in.

 

She was also surprised to see the man seated in the CEO’s chair. She was expecting a huge and intimidating man, the usual type of scary and heartless company leader who had the character to take advantage of other people’s misfortunes. Well, she was very much mistaken in many aspects. CEO Baek was a rather short man, round-faced and with kind eyes. He looked like a good ajhussi. CEO Baek smiled at her widely the instant he saw her.

 

“Good morning, Chairman Baek Soo Chang.” Ha Ni bowed politely before introducing herself formally. “I am Oh Ha Ni, daughter of Oh Gi Dong, chairman of JSM Toy Manufacturing.”

 

After offering her a seat, CEO Baek smiled at her again, with a knowing glint on his chinky eyes which Ha Ni failed to notice because of her nervousness. “Oh Ha Ni. Long time no see. You were just a newborn baby when I last saw you.”

 

Ha Ni looked confused. “Eh?”

 

“I am a close friend of your appa, my dear. Since childhood. Your father was very proud to tell all his friends about his very pretty baby girl then.” Ha Ni was still not at ease. “So what made you pay your ajhussi a visit. Jeju is not exactly that near for you to drop by for something unimportant.”

 

She shook her head. “No, I came here for a very important matter.” CEO Baek offered her tea and allowed her to state the purpose of her visit.

 

“Appa already told us about our toy company. He said you bought all his shares, which practically means you are now its owner.” Ha Ni eyed the chairman carefully for his reactions, but CEO Baek remained poker faced. “Well, I am here to tell you that you were wrong to do that. As his friend, you should have helped him recover his losses. Not take advantage of our company’s current weakness!”

 

CEO Baek just sat back and crossed his arms, letting her continue her tirade against him.

 

“So I am here to ask you to give it back.”

 

“My dear, do you know what you are talking about? What do you mean give it back? I bought it already, remember?” CEO Baek chuckled like he was talking to a 12-year old who knew nothing about what she was saying.

 

Oh Ha Ni kept her ground. “I am serious, ajhussi. That company was founded by my grandfather, my omma’s father. He poured all his energy in making the company grow. He used his own childhood experiences as the inspiration to make a successful company that would make children happy. He passed it on to us, with high hopes that the company vision will be continued. You cannot just take that away from us!”

 

“I know clearly about the company’s history…but your company was close to bankruptcy. I actually saved it, Oh Ha Ni.”

 

Oh Ha Ni blurted out her defense. “How about my appa? You said you were friends. Why did you take advantage of him? Why did you not give him a chance?”

 

CEO Baek took a deep breath. “Then your appa might not have told you this… but your appa’s health has been badly affected by the turmoils in the company. Even your omma knew about it, and she advised him to let it go. She does not want your appa’s health to be sacrificed in exchange of saving your company.”

 

Ha Ni was taken aback by what she heard. “What? No! They will never do that!”

 

“But they already did.” CEO Baek looked into Oh Ha Ni’s eyes before he continued. “Honestly, do you really want that company badly even if it already endangers your appa’s health?”

 

No. What kind of daughter would want that for his father? Hani thought carefully. “But… my haraboeji’s company…omma will be heartbroken to just let it go.”

 

“Your mother was heartbroken to choose between the company his father built and the husband she loves very dearly. Think about it carefully.” CEO Baek’s explanations were slowly sinking into Ha Ni’s mind.

 

“What about me? They should have told me about it. I could handle the company in place of appa.”

 

CEO Baek chuckled again. “Seriously? You are barely an adult. You have not even stepped into the university. How could you manage a company as large as your father’s?”

 

“I can!” Ha Ni said defiantly. She knew it was her bluff. She did not even know anyone from the company except for his father’s secretary.

 

“Maybe you can…in the future. And that is if you can also find the money to buy it back from me. Surely you wouldn’t want to use the money left for you and your parents cost of living in Jeju.”

 

Ha Ni sighed. “What can I do?” She was actually talking to herself.

 

CEO gave out a friendly laugh and jokingly said, “As I see it, a quick way the company goes back to you is if you marry into our family.”

 

Ha Ni got another shock of her life. “What? Ajhussi…”

 

“I was only kidding, my dear. You need a good joke to break that tense look. But honestly, that is the shortest and easiest way.”

 

Ha Ni felt all her hopes disappeared. There was no way she was to marry anyone she did not know for business. It was one of her main mottos in life. Marry for money, and your home will be lonely. “I think I shall go now, ajhussi. I think I did my best. I should know when a battle is lost. But I will just come back in the future to buy it back with my own money and expertise.” Oh Ha Ni bowed. “Thank you very much for your time and sorry for the inconvenience I caused you.”

 

CEO Baek nodded. “And it was nice seeing you again, Oh Ha Ni. I am delighted to see you’ve grown to be a very pretty lady, just like your mother.” He led her to the exit and held out the door for her.

 

“One more thing, ajhussi. Please never mention this incident to my parents. They did not know I went to see you. Thank you again.” Ha Ni bowed the last time and stepped out from his office.

 

CEO Baek was smiling as he walked back to his desk. He picked up the phone and dialed a number. A call to Jejudo.

 

********************

 

Days passed and Oh Ha Ni was still not over her meeting with CEO Baek. Despite herself, she was actually thinking about the chairman’s little joke.

 

No way! But what to do? She shook her head and tried not to entertain the idea of marrying for the company. She knew her parents already gave it up. They were settling into the idea of being contented in Jeju. But Oh Ha Ni did not fail to notice her omma’s sad face at every mention of the company. Her mother was less lively every time she saw her. I have to do something for omma, too. My parents gave me a very good and happy life. I should do something for them, too.

 

A week later, after so much headache and deep thoughts, Oh Ha Ni finally reached her decision. The shortest road.

 

She dialed the number to CEO Baek’s office. His secretary transferred her call to him. “Yoboseyo. Ajhussi. It's me, Oh Ha Ni. I have a proposal.” CEO Baek waited for her to continue.

 

“I want to marry your son.”

 

********************

 

A/N: Oh well. Here is the second chapter. I hope I did not disappoint you. I pray for my ideas to fit well into their proper places. I was listening to Playful Kiss soundtrack while writing for inspiration. My heart swelled while listening to those familiar songs and music. <3

 

BTW, I changed the main photo... I hope you like it..sorry for my insufficient photoshop skills. :)