Final

Spilt Milk

Xiumin took a sip of his hot chocolate, noticing how his lips smudged the edge of the cup with the dark mixture. He sighed contently, it was a quiet Friday night and he was watching Gag Concert with a nice mug of hot chocolate. 

He had just saved himself from spilling his hot chocolate after a particularly funny scene when he heard his doorbell ring. His head perked up from his coffee table and wondered who would disturb him at night. 

When he answered, he was greeted with his earth color haired friend who grinned from the other side of the heavy door.

 

"I joined a barista course…  Please join me, I can't be left alone with students who might be really good!"

 

Xiumin stared back with a frown and pursed lips. Xiumin was good at making decisions on the spot, whether they were good or not, and although this was sudden, he only thought: He enjoyed coffee, he loved Chen… 

 

"Sure." 

 

He shrugged and the pair spent the rest of the night watching Gag Concert together over mugs of hot chocolate.

 

Yixing lay on his super double king bed and rolled over a few times to get to his phone when he heard it ring. It was bright daylight outside and Lay just wanted to curl up and die. Not really. His hips were just really hurting.

He unlocked it and found a message from Suho, deliberating for a few seconds before he decided not to ignore it. 

 

From: Susu

To: Xingxing

Coffee Shop in 10?

 

His lower back hurt but it wasn't something some Marocchino Coffee couldn't fix. Quickly, but gently, he flew off his bed and gussied up as he replied with one hand.

 

From: Xingxing

To: Susu

Be there in 5

 

Yixing met up with Suho who lived right across the hallway, and they both locked their doors simultaneously as Yixing patted himself down to make sure he remembered his wallet. They spun around and Yixing rested an arm over Suho's shoulder. They were chatting idly as they rode the elevator down, crossed the street, entered the coffee shop and saved themselves a seat.

There weren't many people around in the middle of the afternoon but Yixing noticed that the main bar was currently occupied by people who varied size and age, all dressed in white and black. Yixing's lower back was starting to ache again and he hurriedly shooed Suho to buy them their drinks, plonking down on the worn wooden chairs quickly. 

 

Xiumin and Chen arrived at the coffee shop a couple of blocks from his apartment and went in, encouraged by the blackboard that was propped outside reading:

"Future baristas, don't cry over spilt milk!"

 

They were both trying to figure out what the best roasting technique was while every other student of the class were busy trying to concoct their own drink. Xiumin slapped Chen on the wrist before he could burn himself and Xiumin tutted as he wrapped Chen's hands in a cloth to both mock and protect Chen before he turned the roaster off.

The coffee beans were now dark brown and crunchy and Xiumin tossed one into his mouth, wincing but at the same time, enjoying the taste. They heard the bell ring from behind them, and Chen noticing the head brewer was not in, tended to the customer. Xiumin rolled his eyes. Chen didn't even know what they served at this place.

Xiumin put all the roasted beans into their container, craftily labeled "xiuchen" and moved to start making the actual coffee. He ce when Chen called his name and he smiled at the customer who seemed to have a hard time trying to order from the perky Chen.

Yixing perked up as he caught a glimpse of fluffy looking auburn hair. He reached a hand up and touched his own auburn colored hair, except his were highlighted with red as well. The barista was dressed in a cream colored dress shirt with a dark green apron wrapped around his waist. He could't see his face and he felt frustrated every time he turned ever so slightly, allowing Yixing to only see the puffiness of his cheeks and his pretty flower petal- like lips but not his eyes or anything else.

When Suho came back with two tall mugs of coffee, Yixing grabbed his wrist as soon as he had securely placed the tray onto the table, jerking him towards him.

 

"Who's that cute barista behind the guy who took your order?"

 

Suho turned around as if he had never noticed another barista and simply shrugged before he took a seat.

Disgruntled, Yixing shot up from his chair, ignoring the pain shooting up his back and stumbling over telling Suho he was getting napkins before he ambled over to the counter. 

Ignoring the perky, pearly- teethed guy who seemed to be taking orders, Yixing tried to gain the man's attention, only failing as he accidentally knocked over a straw dispenser, spilling all the paper wrapped straws across the counter.

 

"Oh , I'm so sorry!"

 

He squeaked it out and quickly put all the straws back as soon as the box was upright again. The man tending the counter looked amused before he turned back to the man making coffee.

Xiumin turned around when he heard the clattering plastic and his hands stilled over the steam wand. When he heard the embarrassed shriek and saw the tall man clumsily picking up the straws, he wrapped the cloth around his fingers and got back to his steam wand.

 

Yixing and Suho were standing around outside, with Suho on his phone texting god knows who. Yixing would normally have been peeking over Suho's shoulder, causing the older man to shoulder him rather unkindly and telling him to mind his own business. But today Yixing was jumping from foot to foot, hoping to catch the barista as he left. He just really wanted to see his face. And hear his voice. And get his number.

But Suho was impatient and he told Yixing he was going home first, crossing the road rather dangerously with his eyes half on his phone, half on the road. Yixing sighed. It was going to be nearing 20 minutes since he'd stood out here alone and he decided he would have to give up.

As he waited for the traffic light to turn red, he heard the door behind him ring out. Turning, he saw the perky cashier guy emerge with another familiar auburn headed person trailing behind. When Yixing finally saw his face, with his round nose and almond shaped eyes, puffy cheeks and beautiful pink lips, Yixing felt his lower back pain disappear (or maybe intensify, he couldn't really tell at the moment).

He ran after the man as the pair began to walk around the corner. 

Clasping a hand on Xiumin's shoulder, he grinned as the shorter man turned around and faced him with a gummy smile and a questioning look.

 

"You're really cute, please go out with me!"

 

Xiumin seemed to giggle before he pointed at the empty takeaway coffee cup Yixing had in his hand. There, scrawled rather prettily, Yixing noticed for the first time, were numbers that made up a phone number. Beginning to color up, Yixing smiled even wider and introduced himself as Xiumin did the same.