Final

University Runners

Hoya rolled his eyes for the fourth time today as he paid for his cereal. It was a sad life, he was 22, a university student and still eating cereal for dinner. He sighed, this cashier was taking forever to ring up a mere purchse of two.

Said cashier finally ringed up his purchase of cereal and milk, accepting the money and giving back change. The bell above the door tinkled and Hoya immediately looked up at the sound. 

A boy walked in, he looked around Hoya's age, with a fitting white dress shirt and a navy blue blazer draped over his arm, fitting slacks and shiny dress shoes. The cufflinks on the blazer reflected the dull light of the convenience store and Hoya looked away as he looked up. 

Hoya shook his head as he picked up his plastic bag and walked out from the store, noticing as the newest customer picked up a few bottles of beer from the old fridges in the corner of the store. Hoya smiled to himself, guess he wasn't the only pathetic university student here.

 

The pain shot up his foot as his foot accidentally stubbed on it and Hoya grimaced, forcing himself to keep the profanities quiet. Stupid chair. Hoya cursed out the damned chair and took a seat on it, grumbling to himself. He was currently in his Film & Video professor's office. He was waiting for the results of his ious assignment and he continued to scuff the toe of his shoes on the smooth marble floors of Dongseo University. Then he heard someone clear their throat.

Hoya looked up, stilling his leg. It was that guy from the convenience store, except now he was dressed like a typical student. 

He was wearing a hoodie that had the school emblem emblazoned on the front and a logo signifying the Civil Engineering Department on one of the sleeves. Hoya kept his eyes down as the guy took a seat next to him. 

Hoya resisted the urge to ask what a Civil Engineering student was doing in the Film & Video Department. They simply sat next to each other in silence until he heard a phone ring, a rushed hello and the guy with perfectly styled hair was gone. 

 

His computer was seriously not cooperating with him right now. The video editing software was going to crash at this rate and he would lose all his data. So Hoya quickly saved the file and turned off the computer. The media room was always comfortingly empty, mostly because most of the students had their own laptops. 

So Hoya almost jumped out of his seat and dropped his pen drive when he heard the wooden door creak open. He looked up and towards the direction of the door and saw the same guy he'd been seeing all over campus. A couple of days ago, when they'd run into each other and sent each other's books flying all over the place, Hoya had admitted to himself that this guy was really, really handsome. 

So now, like some sad teenaged girl, he blushed when he saw the perfectly styled hair, the neatly ironed clothes he donned and the clean shoes. Hoya frowned at himself and was about to pick up his purple colored pen drive when that guy picked it up for him instead. 

"Here."

He held out the pen drive and Hoya let his eyes travel up his hands, picking up the delicate skin that looked so soft and the one silver ring he had on his thumb. Then he took the pen drive and, without saying anything else, bolted out of the media room. 

 

Hoya was in the gym, enjoying the peace because most people were on spring break but he hadn't felt like going home. Sasang- gu wasn't that close to home. He had been dancing for a good few hours now, practicing moves he hadn't performed in ages simply because he was too busy with school. And buying cereal for dinner, he thought to himself as he paused the music.

He heard the flat rubber soles slapping the waxed floor before he saw the person. Surprise, surprise, it was the same guy. He was dressed in shades of purple, his tee shirt lilac and his over shirt dark purple. His pants were black but his shoes were purple Nike Airs. 

He cleared his throat and Hoya looked at him. 

"I'm Woohyun."

"I didn't ask."

The words blurted out of his mouth before Hoya even processed what Woohyun had said. He winced. The Busan accent didn't help how it came out either. Inwardly, he groaned.

"But I thought you'd still want to know. We run into each other so often, Hoya."

"And you know my name how?"

Woohyun gave him a wide smile.

"I know things."

Hoya decided not to question it and picked up his things, ejecting the disc from the CD player next to the door, next to Woohyun.

Woohyun watched Hoya leave without saying anything, his eyes almost scrutinizing his movements.

 

The next time Hoya ran into Woohyun was a couple weeks later in the infirmary. Hoya had sprained his ankle while moving some chairs up the stairs. He had limped all the way in here, knowing his room didn't have a first aid kit. 

When he opened the door, he didn't expect Woohyun to be the one to greet him from his lying form on the first bed. 

Hoya jumped, then winced when his weight fell onto his ankle by accident. 

 

"What are you doing in here?"

 

Hoya moved towards the chair by the bed, happy to give his ankle a rest as he sat down with all the grace of an elephant. He propped his ankle up on the bed and Woohyun eyed the calloused foot, noting the swelling well on its way.

"Sprain?"

Woohyun's question was innocent but his voice cracked a little and Hoya noticed the red rimmed eyes for the first time and how his hair was askew for the first time since he'd met him and how his shirt looked crumpled instead of pressed and how his skin was pale and he looked so tired.

"Are you okay?"

Hoya had asked it, but he had to stop himself from rolling his eyes at himself. The answer was obvious wasn't it?

"Do I look okay?"

Woohyun laughed but it didn't sound good. Hoya didn't want to admit it but he had imagined what Woohyun would sound like laughing. He had decided that his laugh wouldn't be too loud and it wouldn't be too conserved either. But he knew that whatever his laugh sounded like, it didn't sound like it did right now: tired, desperate. 

Hoya didn't say anything in response and Woohyun stayed quiet. 

The nurse finally came in and tended to Hoya's ankle a little and before he left, he cast a look at Woohyun.

 

"I'm in the Film & Video Department."

 

Woohyun grinned and suddenly Hoya didn't notice the puffiness of his eyes or the bags under them, the messy hair or the chapped lips. Because all he saw was Woohyun.

 

"I know. I'm in the Civil Engineering Department."

 

Hoya gave him a small smile.

 

"I know."