Part 1 - The Chance

Blindsided

With each stride you took towards his office, the more angry you got. Your ears were still tingling from the news you got just a few minutes ago, your breathing was uneven, unable to control the feelings of betrayal bubbling up from your core.

Your mind was racing a mile a minute as you finally reach the double doors and burst right in.

"What the HELL do you think you are doing?!" You say, fists clenched beside you as your eyes meet piercing dark ones from behind the desk.

 You also felt a few more pairs of eyes on you, but didn't care... because at that moment you wanted to rip out the ones you were staring at.

"Leave us." TOP's deep voice says with a sigh to the others that were in the room. His eyes never leave yours but you could tell instantly that he knew what you were here about... and he had no sign of remorse. The other agents in the room bow nervously before scurrying out of the room not forgetting to bow to you in respect as well.

As soon as you head the door closed, his eyes skirt away from yours and return to the paperwork in front of him boiling your blood even more.

"Who do you think you are, huh?" Your voice shook from anger. "Why did you take me off the Double Dragon case?!"

He took his time before answering, "Well, for one, I am the Director in Command... so I have the power to do so... being that I am your boss."

You scoffed and rolled your eyes. You hated when he played the "I am your boss" card on you, but you decided to play it back.

"Well then, Director TOP," You say bitterly and see his eyebrow twitch, "You should know that I am the best goddamn agent in this ing building. I've been here for 7 years, done every single case ing perfectly. I've been working on this case for 3 years now, cracked down on it, and finally have a lead to go on to end it all... and NOW, you have me find out from my team that I have been deemed 'unfit for duty' by YOU?!"

You watch as TOP pushes himself out of his chair and makes his way around the desk. He leans against the edge of it while crossing his arms.

"You're right, agent. You are the best of the lot here... you've covered and closed several cases... but none of them had to do with your little sister."

Your heart pinched at the mention of your beloved sister. The sister you loved more than your life. The sister that was kidnapped and sold into ion by the Double Dragon gang and lost her forever. The sister you swore you'd get your revenge for.

"T-That.. She has nothing to do with this!" You practically scream at him, "I can do this job just fine. I have control over it and can complete this mission successful and without any glitches."

He smirks and shakes his head, "The fact that you, the always calm collective woman I know, is screaming at me, your boss, shows that you don't have your emotions under control." He points his finger at you, "This, is why I can't let you go out there. You're going to get yourself killed recklessly, driven by your careless anger."

"You bastard!" You almost felt as if your head was going to burst from anger as you took two steps closer to him, raising your hand into the air ready to give him the well-necessary slap he deserved for taking the one moment you based you life on away from you. You didn't care how you were making yourself look like a fool, you just wanted him to feel the pain that you were feeling at that moment because of him.

But your hand stopped just inches away from his face. His hand clasped tightly around your wrist as you looked at him through tears in your eyes. His handsome glare turned into frustration, and the eventually the softness that you only recently discovered.

With one strong tug, you fell into his chest, his long arms wrapped around your body, not letting you move an inch. It was so strange how much you wanted to be comforted by these arms... yet at the same time wanted to pull away from them in disgust.

"Can't you see that I want to protect you, dammit?!" He says hoarsely mixed with a sigh next to your ear. Your eyes widen at the truth that rung in his words. "How can I let you go out into something so dangerous and not knowing what state you'll be able to hold during it?! Do you think I don't know how much this means to you? Do you think I don't notice how you cry in your sleep calling out your sister's name?!"

Slowly, he pulls you back, both of his hands holding you up firmly on each arm, as if he was afraid you'd fall... as if you were that fragile.

"_________-ah..." He says your name full of love and concern, causing more tears to form in your eyes for loving and hating how he says your name. "I'd rather you hate me forever than see you get hurt or... die on this mission."

Your heart was tearing at the seams, not knowing which way to go. You understood fully well why he was doing this and suddenly, you couldn't help but realize why relationships with your boss was always frowned upon.... especially in this line of work. If it were reversed, you'd do everything in your power to make sure that TOP was safe and out of harms way. There were so many times you were relieved that his Director position never put him out on the field. He was always safely hidden away in his office, where no harm could touch him.

TOP took this chance of silence from you and leaned in slowly but tentatively, until finally you felt the warm from his lips press against yours. As always, a tingling sensation washed through your entire body almost making you lose yourself. Despite your previous feelings of anger and resentment towards him, in the end your feelings of love and compassion took over. Your arms wrapped around his neck as you deepened the kiss, breathing in his scent of aftershave and a hint of gunpowder. His tongue probed your lips, asking for access, which you soon grant him. Your body presses against his, feeling his warmth and touch as his hands move and up down your back, pushing you even closer towards him.

As the intimacy continues, you two slowly begin to forget where you were, what had happened just a few seconds earlier, and what position you two were in. All that matter was the relationship that bloomed between a man and a woman faced in the midst of danger and excitement. Flashes of moments you two shared in the field, side by side, came to your mind. How it all started with stolen glances, linger touches, and shy smiles. It wasn't until you had met TOP that you began to smile again since...

"UNNIE!!! HELP ME!!"

Your eyes shoot open and you immediately bite down upon hearing your sister's screaming voice in your head. The scream that has been haunting you for the past 5 years... the day she was kidnapped right under your nose and you weren't able to save her.

The taste of blood brings you back as you see TOP touch the bleeding cut on his lips. He instead looks at you with worry, not caring about his bleeding lip, having a feeling of what might have happened. But as he was just about to reach for you, you swat his hand away.

"I'm going on this mission..." You say eerily calm, as you try to keep your emotions from ripping you apart from the inside out, "And if you try and stop me again..." You lift your gaze towards him and see the fear growing in his eyes, "I'll do exactly what you said.... I'll hate you forever... but I'll also go to the Double Dragon gang on my own..."

You quickly turned towards the door to leave, but was stop once more by his voice.

"If you leave... that's the end of us..." He takes one final desperate stance. You could hear the desperation in his voice, but also one filled with regret.

But without another word, you leave behind the only other person you loved in your life... for the one you loved more than your life.

---

It was the day of the ambush on the Double Dragon gang hideout and you were placed back on the case immediately and without another word or message from TOP. You couldn't figure out if it was the threat of hating him or the threat of your life that convinced him, but it didn't matter. It was all over now anyways.

"We'll be leaving in 5. You three, are coming with me and will be entering from the East side. You four, leave together and set up at the adjacent building. The rest, you'll be entering from the North end but only on my cue. Got it?" You barked orders as you try to talk over your nerves. Suddenly a hand raises up from amongst the crowd. "What is it?"

The teams makes way and reveals TOP, fully geared and armed. Your eyes widen at the sight since it's been a while since you've seen him dressed this way from his usual suit.

"Where would you like me?" TOP says seriously at first but you see a small curve at the corner of his lips. You suddenly became at a loss for words with the only answer in your head was 'Stay here and be safe'.

Everyone bows towards TOP after his surprise appearance, as one agent speaks what everyone was wondering, "Director... are you... are you joining us?"

Without taking his eyes off you, he shrugs nonchalantly, "I've been bored in the office lately. Just thought I'd stretch my legs this time."

"This isn't a game, sir." You finally speak.

"I'm aware of that. It's a mission that means life or death for someone that is important to me... which means it becomes life or death for me as well and I can't just sit around a stuffy office." He says cooly as everyone around you two begins whispering and speculating.

Your eyes flicker to everyone gossiping but see that they have no idea he was referring to you. You look back at him who hasn't taken his eyes off of you. The intensity in his eyes made you nervous and blush.

"O-okay. Come with me then" was all you could muster as you lead the group towards the cars. You keep outside and count off each of your team as they get into their respective cars before getting in yourself. It wasn't until the car started moving that you realized you were sitting right next to TOP.

You were just about to switch to the seat across from you, but as if expecting it, TOP's hand slipped into yours holding you down. Your eyes looked around the car and see the other agents were completely oblivious. You glanced up at TOP who was making no efforts in hiding that he was looking at you.

Suddenly, you felt his fingers pry your fists open, revealing your open palm to him as he began tapping against it, in morse code: "Nervous?"

You gulped and allowed yourself to be vulnerable for just that one second, "Yes" you tapped his hand back.

He gave you a small smile, and tapped, "We are going to find your sister."

You pushed down the tears that threatened to come out as you scanned his face. You couldn't understand how he could be so calm at a time like this, when you both knew the danger that was waiting for you both. You shook your head at him, not knowing why exactly besides the fact that there was something else that was bothering you.

His brows furrowed as he tapped your hand.

"I'll protect you."

Your chest warmed at the thought, but also felt as if cold water was washing over you. You smooth out his hand, lingering in your touch to feel the warmth that he was generating before responding.

"That's what I was afraid of."

You saw the initial surprise in his eyes before softening. He quickly grabbed hold of your hand again and tightly held it, rubbing his thumb back and forth across the back of your hand.

As you get closer to the destination, you become more and more aware of the fact that tonight, you may lose both of the people you love most.

But there was no way in hell you were going to let that happen