3 |

Just the two of us

"Hey. I want you to meet someone." Her eyes smiled.

Taeyeon got on her feet with a quickness. Suddenly her heart tightened. She knew Tiffany was going to introduce him, but not like this. Especially not in their sacred place. Her little bubble that had so many thoughts in it - popped. She was startled when the ambulance came around once again at 5 in the morning. She didn't need another surprise.

"H-hi. I'm Ta-Tiffany's friend."
"Haha. Nice to meet you, Tiffany's friend. I'm Siwon, her boyfriend." He took his hand out for a handshake.
"Sorry, Tiffany. It's getting late, i should go." She turned around to grab her backpack without the handshake.
"But it's only fou-" Tiffany furrowed her eyebrows. She was confused why Taeyeon left so abruptly.
"And nice to meet you Siwoon," Taeyeon dashed away. His name left her ears the second after he said it. 'Is that his name?'

----

The Next Day

Taeyeon was laying on the grass facing the sky, writing things and doodling in her journal. She saw someone walking in her direction.

"What's up?" She looked up to seeing someone with a basket.
"Lunch?"

Something was off. Tiffany didn't have a smile on today. Instead, she looked sad and angry in one look. 'Is she really angry that i didn't stick around to meet her overly handsome boyfriend? He doesn't deserve to get to know me.'

"Kim Taeyeon." Tiffany watched Taeyeon gracefully sketching, eating her sandwich and taking sips from the lemonade, freshly squeezed by herself that morning, every two bites from the sandwich. She wondered how much longer she can keep this up. Tiffany hadn't touch her sandwich or drink yet. Taeyeon grabbed the sandwich in the plastic bag and handed it toward her.

"Hmm? Eat." She said, paying no mind to Tiffany right after. She continued sketching leaves in her sketchbook.
"What you did yesterday was really rude."
"I don't like leaves."
"What?"
"Some are solid. Some of soft. Some are fragile. I like that they change colors though, but after a while they like to disappear off the face of the Earth. Leaves. i don't like how that sounds either."
"Where are you trying to go with this, Tae?"
"You're right. I should have complimented him before leaving. I have agree with you, he is gorgeous. Prettier than me, too. Would you mind telling him?"
"Taeyeon."
"It wasn't very nice to bring him there. You could have told me. We could have met somewhere else."

Was Taeyeon really mad at the fact that the place she shared with Tiffany was now invaded by an alien? Or was it because someone who cared for Tiffany was in a foot's proximity of her at that time?

"I just.. I thought i'd surprise you. Maybe if I had, then I would have thought you'd introduce Wooyoung sooner."
"Wooyoung doesn't exist, Tiffany! Why are you so obsessed with him."
"Why'd you lie then?" Tiffany was hurt. She had never been lied to before.
"I wanted to be interesting okay?"

She lied again. She needed something there to act as a barrier, to make sure Tiffany didn't cling onto her. To make sure that she didn't cling onto Tiffany. She never depended on someone so much before. She was afraid. What if Tiffany left? What if she left like leaves? The only way of having leaves stay in one place forever were if she drew them in her sketchbook, the same way she drew Tiffany in her sketchbook whenever she had the chance.

"You.. you come to me with all of these stories.. all I have is a dad who's too caught up in his work to notice me. I go to school, come here. That's it. I have.. nothing, Tiffany."
'She has nothing..?' "You have me, Taeng.. well, only for a week.. physically."
"No, I don't. Siwon does. Wait.. what?"
"I'm moving to the States next week." Taeyeon clenched her jaws together for a second.
"That's great. many opportunities." She said straight forwardly.

'You're not the least bit sad that i'm leaving?'

"I'm sorry for bringing Siwon and invading your space. I'll get going. If you want me to come tomorrow or something then you can shoot me a text. You didn't notice, but i wrote my number on your hand earlier when you were busy writing or whatever you do in that sketchbook."

That's right. They never had each other's number or knew where each other lived. That was what they both really liked. Not knowing whether they'd bump into each other made it even more exciting when they did end up at the same place at the same time. That was quite frequently. Taeyeon took a look at her hand. There was a little pink heart next to the number.  Right then she thought of giving her sketchbook and journal to her. After all, after a week, Taeyeon would be no more to Tiffany anyway.

"Little red riding hood. Take this."
"What are these?"
"Just promise me you'll look at them when you get home."
"Okay, I promise."

----

Taeyeon rolled around in bed. She couldn't sleep. 'What were you hoping for when you gave them to her, Kim Taeyeon?! She's leaving in a week!"

The next few days she didn't go back to the place. She was too embarrassed to face Tiffany despite there were only a few days left until she left. The one day she went, Tiffany didn't go. She saw a pink letter under a rock by the tree she always sat by.

It read:

Hi Taeng,

How come you don't come anymore? I bring lunch.. for two. But i end up eating alone. Where are you? I want to see you. You didn't send me a text, does that mean you don't want to see me anymore? Is it because of Siwon? You've turned 'mysterious girl' again. I mean, i liked her, but i liked Kim Taeyeon a lot more. I'm leaving soon, I have some things to say.

xoxo,
Fany Tiffany.

Taeyeon went home with more thoughts than she came with.

To: Fany

Where are you? I want to see you. Now. Not at our place.

- Taeyeon.

If Tiffany replied, that would be the first time they meet outside their bubble, with a set time.

To: Taeng

I'm in the hospital..

- Fany

To: Fany

Fany. Where do you live?

- Taeyeon

To: Taeng

Down the street from you

- Fany

Down the street...

-----

Author's note:
Sorry.. It's going to be a 4-shot story!