02.

well-nigh

Upon seeing the gates that lead to our school, I was quick to notice that there were still a little amount of people present and entering. It was a tad odd, but I didn't allow my mind to ponder on such trivial things. I walked ahead of my two companions, who were having their usual English conversations.

They've brought it up around once or twice that maybe it bothered me and made me feel left out, but I cleared out that it's fine on my end. I never wanted to be a hindrance to their ever blooming friendship, anyway. Bitterness aside, it was really fine for me. While the thought of them gossiping about me in the language I'm unfamiliar with scares me, I know that they're better than that. We're friends after all.

I kept my hands holding onto the straps of my bag as I continued to trudge forth, not really minding how ahead I've gone in comparison to Jessica and Tiffany. I've passed the gates, while they have not yet. I debate in my mind whether or not to stop to wait for them, as I dragged my feet along the pavement, but my argument with myself was cut short when a figure, much taller and broader than I, started walking towards my way. A few steps more, and I realize it was Kim Junmyeon.

Kim Junmyeon is a senior to me, so my usual reaction of avoiding anybody that was deranged enough to want a strike a conversation up with infamous little me had to be forsaken. Just this once, I hoped in the silence of my mind.

"Hey, Taeyeon!" From far away, he already called in a fairly loud voice. It garnered the attention of most, if not everyone-- as expected, since Junmyeon here is the heartthrob of the school. I flashed him an obviously forced and uninterested smile before lowering my gaze, not wanting to get glares from his little fan girls who pine over him like dirty little mice would for a piece of cheese.

I thought that his greeting would be the end of it, but he kept walking towards me. In my mind, I rethought every favor he had asked of me, anxious that I might've missed any of them. In the end, I was sure I had accomplished all of them, leaving me clueless as to why he had to talk to me.

I raised a hand and started to gently massage the side of my temple. The thought of him giving me tasks that I had probably no choice but to do was already giving me a headache.

"What do you want, Junmyeon." I'm pretty sure it sounded more of a command than a query, thus the expression of him being taken aback that follows thereafter. I heaved a lengthy sigh upon seeing him flustered, lowering my hand to the side instead. It was time to lighten up.

"Junmyeon!" The voice made both me and the male to turn our heads-- it was Tiffany's voice, no doubt about it. Finally, they catch up.

"Wow," Junmyeon started, a disgustingly cheesy leer plastered on his lips, "I'm lucky to have bumped into all three of you!"

"Just spit it out, pretty boy." As I was, Jessica wasn't too fond of this smiley guy as well. She was obviously more vocal about it than I was, though.

Junmyeon then puckered his lips into a pout. At the attempt to soften our hearts towards him, I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "Stop it, guys." Tiffany gave me a light push, chuckling faintly. My eyes trailed onto her, brows furrowed. As expected from the only genuinely nice friend I have.

"Anyway. So, you guys know I'm the head of the events committee, yeah?" He started, in an arrogant tone. I was resisting the urge to walk away then and there.

"Recognition day is coming up, and we need an intermission number. I know how good you guys are in performing." A lump on my throat then formed. I was quick to swallow it, keeping on that unfazed countenance I have long practiced.

"Aw, really? That sounds like a really good--"

"We're not really made for performing in front of a multitude." Jessica cut Tiffany off, even before she could finish. I turned my head to gaze at them, seeing that Tiffany was just as surprised as I was upon hearing her words.

"Sorry." Jessica mumbled in a flat tone, before holding onto my wrist with her free hand-- her other arm still joined with Tiffany's-- before dragging the both of us away from the presumably confused Junmyeon. Jessica always knew me that well, I guess.

"Why didn't we say yes?" Tiffany asked, her tonality much comparable to an innocent child's. Jessica kept quiet for a few moments, with pursed lips, sneaking a glance towards my direction. I gave her a knowing nod, before mouthing a 'thank you.'

"I don't want to sing in front of a bunch of parents. That isn't my style." Jessica cockily proclaimed, a faint giggle emitting from afterwards. Truth was, the only legitimate reason why we didn't accept the offer was because of me. Jessica knew I had stage fright due to the misfortune that I basked in the last time I did so-- fifth grade, school talent show. My voice cracked, and I got laughed at. I don't really want to elaborate on it any more, but just to emphasize, it tarnished my pride greatly. Ever since then, I never wanted to showcase my singing in front of a crowd.

"Mm. You have a point.." Tiffany concluded after a few passing moments. There was still a hint of hesitation in her voice, but I knew that it was unlikely she would question it further. I would know. This is the kind of person I perceived Tiffany as, ever since I first met her.

We then walked to Korean Literature class, where the classroom was always at least half empty. One of the many reasons I loved this class.

--

@ceSoshi || taengu.co.vu || ♡