Hyde - Part One.

Inside These Veins.

Cold metal slipped between her fingers, chilling her to the bone as numb nails ran along the surface of the coin. She flipped it, watched it twirl in the air and caught it, not bothering to look at what side faced up.

     There were two sides to every coin, she thought, the head and the tail. It was much the same with people, wasn’t it; there was the head, the side of a person that made them think, talk, controlled their actions and their behaviour – and there was the tail, the absolute idiocy, asinine comments and lewd words. The good side, and the bad side. It all seemed simple, like black and white, like head and tails.

     But she knew first hand that it wasn’t that simple.

     She could hear her outside her room before she even knocked, telltale converse shuffling along hardwood floors that creaked with each step. She wondered who she’d get today, leaving the coin behind to stand up, answering the door with a smile nonetheless.

     “Hey,” She greeted, head leaning on the door frame.

     “Hi,” Her best friend looking at her with a lopsided smile. “Your dad said you were already up here.”

     She smiled back, opening the door to let the girl in. She watched her with curious eyes, looking for any sign of mischief – and when she saw none, when she simply saw black hair fall over shoulders and onyx eyes meet hers halfway, she knew it was okay.

     “So,” She started, sitting next to her on the bed, stretching her legs out and watching her toes wiggle through the socks she was wearing. “What brings you here?”

     She watched the girl out of the corner of her eye, watched the smirk rise and felt dread pool in stomach and she couldn’t help but think to thank god when she saw that she’d closed the door because her friend was no more than a brilliant actress when she was like this and she’d had played her exactly as she had expected.

     Hands met her shoulders and legs straddled her waist and she absolutely hated it and loved it and craved it and god damn it why can she never think properly when they’re like this.

     “Krystal,” Was all she said, eyes zeroing in on the ones above her.

     “Who were you expecting?”

     The tone did not go unnoticed, neither did the confident fingers that trailed along her back and neither did the smirk that graced itself upon Krystal’s face. This was Krystal, with her schemes and her acting and her lips on Amber’s neck. This was not Soojung, this was not the girl that watched movies with her, this was not the girl that asked Amber how to skate.

     This was the other half of her, the second personality, and damn it Krystal was becoming better at what she does by the day and Amber knows it and Krystal knows it but Soojung doesn’t because Soojung doesn’t know anything of what happens between Amber and Krystal –  and Amber hates the fact that she can’t tell the other half.

     She pushed Krystal slightly, enough to take away from her, which was far enough for now – and looked at her, really looked at her. She tried to find her best friend in those eyes, tried to fish her out, but it was no use because these eyes were half lidded and dusted with longing and Amber always found herself giving in to Krystal.

     So she allowed it, she allowed her hair to be sifted through, allowed Krystal’s lips on her neck and her collarbones and allowed Krystal to tell her she’s amazing because really, it’s all she wants Soojung to say but for reasons she can’t explain Krystal is the personality that craves Amber and Soojung is the one who does not.

     Her hands run down Krystal’s back, thumbs on her hip bones, massaging and she hears Krystal mewl, feels her breath against her neck and nudges the girl’s face up.

     She stares at Krystal, watches her eyes flicker and worries that Soojung might be here but she’s not because Krystal kisses her and she knows Soojung won’t ever do that. Krystal kisses her hard, with urgency and a fiery passion that she holds only for Amber, and Amber kisses back much the same, teeth nipping at Krystal’s bottom lip and hands roaming wherever she can.

     They stay like that for a while, Krystal sitting on her lap, hands in her hair and nails scraping at her scalp and Amber allows it, feels like she’s being used and using at the same time, but manages to be okay with it because Krystal’s kisses numb her lips and make the hurt and the worry bury somewhere deep in her mind that never resurfaces until she leaves.

     It’s not until her mother hollers at them from downstairs that dinner is ready that they break apart for more than a second, Krystal sliding her legs from around Amber one at a time and stretching her body out as she stands.

     As Amber begins to walk, she feels a tug against her hand and when she turns around she has to remember how to breathe because it’s not Krystal anymore, its Soojung – with bright eyes full of questions and hesitant fingers lacing with hers and she smiles because this is the girl she fell in love with, not that she’d ever tell her.

     Amber knows Soojung doesn’t remember anything she does as Krystal, just as much as Krystal never remembers anything she does as Soojung, it’s a never ending game that both of the girl’s personalities like to play, and Amber always seems to be stuck in the middle.

     And when she brings Soojung closer to her as they walk out of her room, Amber doesn’t fill her in on what happened, doesn’t tell her that her other personality just left the red mark on her neck that she was staring at, doesn’t tell her that she’s absolutely head over heels for both sides of her.

     She just says, “Don’t worry, Krystal didn’t hurt me.”

     And that’s enough for the girl, nuzzling into Amber’s shoulder as they walk down to dinner hand in hand.

 

 


A/N: Just in case you didn't understand it, Krystal has Dissociative Identity Disorder, better known as having multiple personalities. I've thought of this idea for a long time, wondered whether I should make it into a multi-short or a short series or even a long series but I'm not even sure if I'm happy with it as it is. Feel free to let me know what you think of it, it's always nice to get a second opinion.

As always, I love you all, thanks for reading <3