Chapter 32

Accustomed to Fame

"Aw c'mon Sandeul, give us some hints!" you whined.

Sandeul laughed. "She can sing, dance, and a-" Sandeul's phone started ringing.

You gave his phone screen a quick glance and smiled like a crazy person.

"Oh my gosh!" you said, poking Sandeul.

"Hey, hey, hey. I need to take this. Have fun with everyone, and give them a hard time guessing!" he beamed, and left the room as he sweetly picked up. "Hey babe.." his voice trailing off as he left.

"You saw the caller ID didn't you?" Hyo Jin said.

You nodded with a smirk on your face.

"C'mon noona, tell us who it is! We're so curious!" Gongchan begged you.

"Okay okay. She's in a popular girl group, main vocalist, she acts, she's from Busan.." you said, waiting for them as they thought.

"APINK'S JUNG EUNJI!" the boys shouted in unison.

"Yes! Aren't they so cute? All the fangirls shipped them for so many years already!" you squealed.

"Wooow, our little duck sure is growing up," Shinwoo said, sighing.

"I'm happy for him. I'm sure they'll be great together," you smiled. "Should we invite her over? I know it's a little late but I'm sure she'd want to see Deullie. I 've always wanted to meet her anyway.."

In just an hour Eunji arrived. She politely greeted everyone. "Hello," she bowed, and shifted around uncomfortably.

"Hey, no need to feel uncomfortable. We've worked together plenty of times," Jinyoung said. "Anyway, this is my girlfriend, Lee Mi Hyun. This is her best friend Park Hyo Jin, who is also Shinwoo's girlfriend." 

You all said your greetings. "Can I call you guys unnie?" she asked sweetly.

You both happily nodded.

"What the heck? Jung Eunji, what's up with this girly act you have on right now? They'll accept you for who you are so just be yourself," Sandeul said to her. 

"Oppa," she pouted.

"Stop being so fake! You and I both know that you're not this quiet and sweet," Sandeul said, rolling his eyes at her. 

"Fine!" she shouted. "Gosh," she said, giving Sandeul a smack on the arm.

"That's my girl," he said, hugging her and her long hair.

You all laughed at the couple's bickering.

"Eunji, be as loud as you want. We're all loud here too, and we always mess around. You'll get along great with everyone," you said warmly.

You all went back to the living room. Everything was perfect. 

You were snuggled up against Jinyoung, Hyo Jin was giggling with Shinwoo, Sandeul and Eunji were laughing crazily, Baro and Gongchan were messing around and playing. It was a comfortable atmosphere. You almost forgot about all that happened earlier that day, and that Jinyoung had an operation the next morning, but you decided to just shrug it off and enjoy the moments you had left with the people you treasured the most.

Sandeul went to go grab some snacks from the kitchen so Eunji decided to take this opportunity to talk to you.

"Unnie.. I wanted to ask you something.." Eunji said with a shy smile.

"Jinyoung, I'm just gonna go talk to her okay?" you said, escaping from his warm embrace.

"Alright." He kissed your forehead before you went.

You led her into your bedroom. Eunji looked around in awe.

"Unnie, are you rich or something?" she asked with a laugh.

You laughed as well.

"So what did you want to talk about?" you said, trying to make her feel comfortable as possible.

"Oh yeah, well about Sandeul oppa.." she stopped.

"Go ahead, you can tell me anything," you said, patting her shoulder.

"Well we have been dating for a long time now. We dated secretly for a few years actually.. And we've been interested in each other ever since both our groups' debuts in 2011. But anyway, he told me he loved me.."

"How the heck did he keep that a secret all these years?! But wow! Our Deullie really has grown up! Wait.. what's the problem with that?"

"Well.. because I didn't say anything back. I didn't know what to say, and I just froze. He's acting like nothing happened. But you know him, I'm sure he's really upset. Unnie, I just don't think I'm ready," she sighed.

"You know what, you remind me a lot of myself," you smiled.

"How?"

"A few years back, Jinyoung did the same thing. He confessed to me at the beach. It was really romantic and it was just the two of us. But I thought I wasn't ready either, So I told him to wait. I said that I was really close to loving him," you said

"Aw, really..?"

"Yeah, but he understood. He told me that he'd wait and that he was fine with loving me, that his feelings wouldn't change."

"Wow, Jinyoung oppa is so sweet."

"Mhmm. But you know what? I did love him."

Eunji's eyes widened.

"I know right? Seems like a scary thought. But I thought about it.. and it's not so scary. As long as he loves you, and you love him, everything will fall into place, I promise you." you said, with your hand on her shoulder.

"So.." she said, still confused.

"So what I'm trying to say is, don't let the thought of it scare you. As cheesy and cliche it may sound, just listen to your heart. Also, don't keep him hanging. Tell him what you're feeling and I'm sure he'll understand," you said to her.

"I understand.. Thanks, unnie. I just didn't know how to say this to any of the girls back at the dorm," she frowned.

"No problem. Now come on, I'm sure they're wondering where you are," you walked out arm in arm laughing.

"Well looks like somebody's best friends now.." Sandeul said, grinning. "What were you guys doing in there?"

"Just talking," Eunji said, pinching Sandeul's nose.

He smiled.

"Come on, get back here," Jinyoung said with a y smirk on his face.

You snuggled back with him and listened to music together.

Before you knew it, everyone was asleep in random places.

The Next Morning

"Mr. Jung Jinyoung? You can come follow me for surgery prep now," said a nurse.

You got up and hugged him. You also bowed to the nurse. "Please take care of him."

The nurse smiled. "It's a very quick procedure so you should be able to see him again soon."

You sighed and sat back down with everyone in the waiting room.

About an hour passed by and the same nurse came out.

You all stood up.

"The surgery was successful. He's in Room 423," she said with a smile.

"Ah, thank you so much.." you said, bowing twice.

You entered his room quietly. "Oppa..?" you said softly.

He turned around in his bed, still a little groggy. "Oh, hi," he said with a weak voice.

"You just rest. I'll be right here," you said.

He nodded and closed his eyes again.

The boys decided to just see him tomorrow so that he wouldn't feel so overwhelmed.

Jinyoung slept for a few hours.

In those hours you read, listened to music, and stared at Jinyoung's peaceful sleeping face. You smiled. Then you received a phone call. It was your brother.

"Oh, Mi Hyun-ah. How are things?"

"Things are good. How's your soon to be wife?"

"She's good as well. I just wanted to tell you that starting next month you have to go up to the States, you know, for business."

"A-ah, okay.."

"Okay.. So I'll talk to you later?" 

"Sure oppa. Bye."

"Bye."

*Conversations with him are so awkward now.. But next month..? It's already the 20th. That's such little time..*

"Babe, what are you thinking so intently about?" he said with a raspy voice.

You jumped up in surprise. "Oppa.. You scared me. How are you feeling?"

He laughed at your jumpiness. "I feel good. How are you?"

"Seriously? Oppa, I'm okay," you giggled.

"But you don't look okay. Tell me, what's on your mind?" he said as he took your hand.

"Nothing.. I was just really worried for you earlier. But you're fine now, so I'm okay." 

"Why don't I believe you?" he said with a sad face.

"I-"

He gave you a stern look.

"Okay, fine. I got a call from my brother."

"And..?"

"He said I have to leave next month."

"Next month already..? That's so soon."

"I know.. I'm sorry," you said, frowning.

"Don't be sorry. I know you're just trying to be a good sister. Let's just make the best of the time we have left okay?"

You sighed. "Okay.."

It was silent for a whole minute.

"Did he say how long?"

"He didn't tell me.. but I'm assuming it'll be a while."

"What do you meant by a while?"

"Years, possibly"

"I guess we'll just have to stay strong then."

"Yeah."

"Promise?" he said, holding his pinky finger out.

You laughed at his childish gesture. "I promise." 

You crossed pinkies and touched thumbs. Immediately after, he kissed the back of your hand and smiled.

A Month Later

You sat down in your cold apartment looking back to those days you had with Jinyoung. "What time is it in Korea right now? Why hasn't he called me yet..?" you sighed. Instead you just did some paperwork and went to bed. Just as you got comfy, you heard your doorbell ring. You looked through the peephole and smiled. You quickly unlocked it.

"Hey Mir oppa. What brings you here?"

"I know you're probably stressed, so.. here!" he said, holding out a bottle of wine.

"Wow, thanks! Wanna stay a drink with me for a bit?" you asked.

"Sure, why not?" Mir said, stepping into your home.

The two of you sat down and got comfortable. He poured you each a glass.

"Hey, you haven't been looking too good lately.. Have you been eating well? Do you sleep enough?" he asked worriedly.

"No, I'm totally fine so don't worry. To be honest, I just miss him.." you said as you fiddled and looked at the diamond on your ring finger.

"That's right, you never told me how he proposed to you! We're always so busy.. But tell me now!" he said excitedly.

Flashback OC POV

My phone rang. 

"Hello?"

"Hi! I've recovered and rested from surgery now. Can we do something fun?"

"Like what?"

"Meet me at the beach at 7?"

"At our usual spot?"

"Yes."

"Okay then, I'll see you soon~"

"Okay~"

I got off work and got ready quickly to go meet Jinyoung. When I got there, I was a little late, but he wasn't there. I called him but he didn't pick up. I looked around and I see a pathway of candles on the sand. I was a little curious to I followed it and it led to candles shaped in a heart. It was the exact spot where he first told me he loved me. But I still couldn't find him, so I called out his name. 

"Jinyoung? Oppa?" 

He showed up out of nowhere and he looked like he was hiding something behind his back.

I was still standing in the middle of the heart, and I felt uncomfortable. Just I stepped toward him, he said "Stay right there."

He stood at some distance from me. "What is this..?" I laughed nervously.

He revealed a bouquet of flowers and handed it to me. We were both in the middle of the heart now.

"Listen well to what I'm about to say okay?"

I nodded, confused. He took my hands.

"So I've been meaning to do this for a while now but uh.." he cleared his throat. He looked so nervous. "Mi Hyun, I love your clumsiness, how you blush whenever I get near you, how you never get drunk no matter how much you drink. I love everything about you. You make me feel something no one has ever made me feel before. Even when you're doing the most normal things, you never cease to amaze me. You're beautiful, smart, and funny.. you have it all. I just.. I adore you darling. I know we've had our ups and downs that have made us both doubt our relationship, but I know now that if it's us, we'll always find a way. I know I'm lacking in many ways, I'm over sensitive, and super protective, but it's all because I love you and I never want to lose you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

I was tearing up. He suddenly got down on one knee and got a small box from his pocket.

"So with that, would you make me the happiest guy on earth.. and marry me?"