Before the Choices

Meeting You (The Series)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 23 Before the Choices

 

 

“Ryosuke, Suzuki-san has been waiting. Have you finished?”

A voice bellowed from the first floor of Yamada family house in a certain morning. Ryosuke fastened the button of his long sleeves fast.

“I’m done, Mom. Wait a moment.” He replied while quickly grabbed his wallet and stuffed it into his pants pocket then hurried down the stairs.

Once he reached his mother, he saw none of his family members. His mother explained that they had been waiting outside. True be told, everyone had waited around his family car, and outside Yamada yard were Grandma Suzuki and her son, Kaji-san, ready in their car. All dressed in black for today they were going to attend  the wake of Shida Akira.

He took the driver seat, his father took the passenger seat beside him while the women were in the back seats. Suzuki’s car followed behind. Tachibana-san had given him the address of where the ceremony would be held.

“You sure you’re alright to drive? You seem tired.” His father asked when he started the engine.

He nodded, “I’m fine.” He indeed did not get any sleep last night after previously on the day he listened to Tachibana-san and Kazumi’s explanations about Mirai.

His mind was so crowded. Works was demanding lately, and even today he should attend an interview but he had asked his manager to reschedule it for hours later than the initial time. He had troubled his band mates. He had gone out of his way of profesinalism, but he couldn’t help it with his current state. The new knowledge about Mirai had him so confused he couldn’t even tell if he was relieved or sad or angry. He only got anxious and restless more and more. And that had made his jobs of being an idol who entertains people got heavier and more difficult.

Once the car pulled off, he shoved the thoughts aside to refocus driving. They headed to a suburb area which was filled with apartments. The address led him to a medium housing estate though, behind an apartment building. He slowed his car when they reached smaller road. When he saw a group of people dressed in black entered a small house and noticed a condolence bouquet in front of the entrance, he assumed that was the place.

Everyone got off the car once he finished parking. Grandma Suzuki was the most impatient among them. Supported by her son, Grandma Suzuki was the first to enter the yard. He could not deny the tears which started swarming his vision when he spotted Akira’s smiling picture on the entrance. After filling the guest book, they were guided to the main room where the altar to pray for the deceased was placed.

There were not many people attended the ceremony, and it had him easily spotted the hosts. Tachibana-san and another woman welcomed them that turned out to be Kanata’s mother, Hongo Miyaji, while in a distance he saw Kazumi and Kanata were greeting a flock of youngsters he assumed as their old friends since he could recognize some of them who he had seen back then in the hospital visiting Akira. Yet, he could not find Mirai no matter how many times he looked round the room.

“If you’re looking for Mirai, she is in her room, Yamada-kun,” Tachibana-san seemed noticing his gestures.

Before he could respond, Grandma Suzuki shoved him aside to get attention from Tachibana-san.

“Where’s her?” She asked, clear worry in her everything. “Bring me to Mirai-chan, please.”

Tachibana-san considered for a moment before answering, “I’m not sure whether she would want to meet anyone, though, Suzuki-san.”

“Nonsense. Just show me where she is.” Grandma Suzuki fiercely replied.

Subtly sighing, Tachibana-san eventually led them to where Mirai’s room was. It was only him and Grandma Suzuki who went to see Mirai while the rest of their companions chose to wait until Mirai was ready to meet them.

The door to Mirai’s room was opened, and from outside they could see Mirai sitting on the window seat, leaning her head into the window glass while holding a small red sweater dearly to her chest. Once they stepped closer, they realized the stream of tears flowing down silently on her cheeks. The sight was another heart breaking for him, for he knew that sweater Mirai holding was Akira’s favorite. Grandma Suzuki without further ado sauntered across the room despite her fragile steps, and once she was close enough, she gave a weak squeeze on Mirai’s shoulder that the younger looked up. He could see how Mirai was surprised to see Grandma Suzuki, but it soon triggered more of her tears to flow. Grandma Suzuki pulled Mirai in her embrace, enfolding her like a mother protecting her kid, while Mirai could only weep wordlessly.

“You don’t want to get closer?” suddenly Tachibana-san asked.

He shook his head, remembering about a certain scene from the hospital a few days ago. “No. She may get histeric if she sees me here.”

“She has been a lot calmer, Yamada-kun. She actually asked me to tell her if you’ve arrived. She wanted to apologize.”

It was relieving to know that Mirai did not resent his presence anymore, but he was hesitated to meet her. He had not decided whether he would chase after her or give up. His life was not only his own now, for he should also consider the well-being of his bandmates, and also his fans. His choice would surely affect them, too.

He kept watching silently from the door even when Tachibana-san excused herself. Grandma Suzuki mildly scolded Mirai for not contacting her and shouldering the burdens alone, but he knew it was just Grandma’s way to show how much she cared about Mirai. She said it herself that she had considered Mirai and Akira as her grandchildren, didn’t she?

A noise of people talking was suddenly heard, and it got closer by every second. He would not heed it though, if he wasn’t called.

“Yamada.”

He turned to the source and saw Kanata with a few guys and girls.

“Hongo.” He replied.

Kanata was as composed as he used to be when introducing his companions, “They are Mirai’s friends from high school.”

He righted his posture and made a small bow to the group, greeting to be polite.

“Ano... are you... Yamada Ryosuke from Hey! Say! Jump?” One of the girls asked.

Tentatively he answered, “Yes.”

“Oh,” consecutive gasps immediately filled the placid atmosphere.

“So, that girl in the rumor is really Mirai-chan?” a murmur came to his ears.

“It’s surprising, but it seems so.” Another one was heard.

It seemed that all of them recognized him. He wondered whether it was good or not. Some of the girls were obviously fans by seeing the amazement in their expression despite the gloomy circumstance. And for them concluding about the rumor, he somehow could not imagine if they would spread the news that he attended the ceremony.

“I’ll go inside first to see whether she is willing to meet you, guys,” Kanata intercepted. It drew all them to look inside the room, where Mirai was still in Grandma Suzuki’s embrace.

He saw Kanata approached them, but he could not see Mirai’s reaction for Kanata was blocking his view. A few seconds later, Kanata turned to the group then beckoned them to come in. Everyone bowed to him as they walked pass him to enter the room. Kanata stepped away, so did Grandma Suzuki, but before he could see Mirai’s face, her friends had already crowded around her.

He saw how the girls gave a group hug to Mirai. It arose something in him. He was touched by the care her friends giving her, yet at the same time he felt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter