Chapter 1- Arrival

Understanding

Zhang Yixing never had a problem talking to people back in China. In fact, most of his school mates would complain that he talked too much. 

But when he moved to Korea after his mother had gotten a new job in one of the large companies, his life was flipped upside down. 

"Now, remember to tell the teachers and students that your Korean isnt that good... hopefully they'll let you be in a class with other Chinese students..." He mother fussed around the kitchen as he ate his breakfast. 

"Yes mum!" He sighed. This was the 3rd time she'd been through the 'speech'. 

"Oh, and Yixing!" She now had her head in a cupboard. "Remember to smile and try to make freinds!" 

She turned round to face him, giving him a warm smile. 

"I know this situation isnt ideal, but its all i can do!" She his cheek gently before shreiking slightly as she glanced at their clock. "Hurry, hurry! you're going to be late!"

In actual fact, once he'd got to school he found that he was no where near late. 

There were very few people around, which Yixing was relieved about. 

He went straight to the reception, since he didnt know where to go. 

Unluck his hysterical mother, Yixing was perfectly calm and fine about joining the new school.

Except for the fact everyone would be speaking Korean. 

"Hello dear, what can i do for you?" The reception asked sweetly in Korean. 

Yixng gulped, he'd recognised 'hello' and there was a question there somewhere. 

"Umm... I know Korean none?" He stuttered in broken Korean. It had been one of the only sentences he'd been determind to learn.

"Oh, you must be the new Chinese student? No worries, i'll call Mr. Lee now." She spoke quickly and then left.

Yixing had no idea what he was supposed to do, so he stayed there.

He noticed the previously empty school start filling up with students. 

Some would glance at him as they walked past, others would completely ignore. One of them even bumped into him and then appoligised before going off to laugh with their friends.

Yixing sighed. This was going to be more difficult than he thought. 

"Hello umm.. Yixing right?" A voice behind him said in Chinese. 

He turned around ubruptly and smiled at the man who was standing there.

He was in him mid 30's to 40's, and had a kind smile that reached him eyes.

"Yes, i am!" Yixing bowed at the man.

"Nice to meet you! I'm Mr. Lee by the way. I'll be helping you with your studies. Unfortuantely, we couldnt get you to be in a seperate Chinese class, seeing as we havent got many Chinese students here, but i'm sure you'll manage in the normal class"

Yixings smile faded somewhat. He'd been hoping that wouldnt be the case. 

"You dont look too happy about that..." Mr. Lee chuckled slightly and then turned serious. "How much Korean do you know?" 

Yixing shuffled his feet nervously without answering. 

He'd been supposed to learn Korean when he was back in China, but he'd never enjoyed that class so he spent most of those classes day dreaming. 

"Ah... well, no problem! I can help you learn the basics so you can make some friends..." Mr. Lee squeezed Yixings shoulder reasuringly. "You'll be fine, so don't worry!" 

Just at that moment the bell rang and 50 or so students began to rush past the two of them. 

"Let me take you to your class." Mr. Lee smiled, indicating Yixing to follow the herds of people. 

They got to the door of class 24B and stood outside for a moment. All the other students were in the class already. 

"Now, you'll need to introduce your self, you think you can do that?" 

"I- think so..." Yixing stuttered. 

WIthout hesitation Mr. Lee walked into the class and Yixing relucntantly followed. 

"Good morning, class!" Mr. Lee said in Korean to the students in the class. 

"Good morning Mr. Lee" They chorused together. 

Most were looking curiously at Yixing as he stood just inside the door way. 

"Here is our new student! He's from China and is very nervous, so be nice to him!" Mr. Lee said, nodding at Yixing to speak. 

"Er... hello... i'm Zhang Yixing... nice to... to.. you..." Yixing stuttered, bowing after he'd trailed off. 

"He's so cute!" Someone near the back shouted, clapping his hands enthusiastically. 

"That's quite enough, Chanyeol!" Mr. Lee scolded. 

He indicated for Yixing to take an empty chair near the front. 

Yixings legs felt like jelly as he wondered over to the chair. 

He'd never been this nervous in his life, he felt stupid but he hoped he'd made a good inpression. 

His desk was inbetween a pretty girl who had dark blonde hair and a feminine looking boy who kept smiling at him. 

"Ok, well first we'll be studying maths, so if you could all get out your homework..." Mr. Lee said. 

The class groaned and began to rumidge in their bags for their books. 

"Do you like maths?" The boy next to him asked. 

He noticed the boy had asked him a question, and it sounded like the same word Mr. Lee had said a few seconds previously. 

But that was as far as his knowledge went. 

He sat in silence as the boy waited for an answer with an expectant look on his face. 

"Er... i know Korean none..." He muttered, looking away from the boy. 

"Ohh!" The boy grinned and spoke again. "How's this then?"

This time he was speaking in fluent Chinese, making Yixing gasp.

"You can speak Chinese?" He asked incrediously.

"i am Chinese!" The boy laughed. "I'm Luhan by the way!" 

They stopped talking as Mr. Lee started the lesson. 

Yixing picked up very little of the lesson. It wasnt until aobut half way through that he realised they were doing maths. 

This was going to be a long day. 

Once the lesson ended, Mr. Lee called him back. 

"Did you get anything in that lesson?"

Yixing shook his head. 

"I think what i'll need to do is get you a tutor... " He stopped talking and began to think carefully. "I think Luhan would be a good choice, seeing as he practically taught himself how to speak Korean..." 

"Oh, i met Luhan!" Yixing smiled happily. 

Maybe this school wouldnt be too bad after all.

"Ok, that's decided then! You're next lesson is History which is in 33A, up the stairs! Sorry i can't help you get there, i have another class now... Good luck!" 
Yixing bid Mr. Lee good bye and left to find 33A. 

It seemed that there was much more to finding 33A than just being 'up the stairs'.

He wondered around until he found the stairs, and then once he'd gotten up stairs, he found 2 corridors in opposite directions. 

He sighed as he wondered aimlessly for a few moments. 

It didnt help that a few of the classrooms didnt have any numbers or letters. 

After 5 minutes he still couldnt find his class. 

"Lost?" He heard a males  voice from behind him. 

A boy was standing by a water fountin holding an empty bottle. 

Yixing didnt know what he said, so he just smiled back at the boy. 

He decided to try the opposite direction, only to get stopped by the boy. 

"Where d'you want to get to?" He walked over to Yixing once he'd filled up his bottle. 

Yixing nervously shuffled his feet, trying to think of something to say. 

"What's wrong? Cat got your tongue?" The boy said in a joking voice. 

Yixing now felt self concious. 

Perhaps the boy was mocking him or something? 

Oh, what could he do!?

"Umm.. I know Korean none..." 

The boy frowned.

"You Japanese or something?" He asked, still in Korean. 

Yixing reconised the word 'Japan' and shook his head. 

"China!" He said in Korean, hoping he'd got the right word.

"Oh... OH!" A realisation dawn on the boy. "You're the new Chinese student, right! I heard you're in Mr. Lees class, right?" 

The boy still spoke in Korean, but this time slower. 

This didnt help Yixing, but he nodded (believing the boy had asked whether he knew Mr. Lee).

"So you have history in 33A now? Ok, i'll take you to your class." The boy didnt hesitate before grabbing Yixings arm and dragging him down the opposite corridor towards 33A. 

Once they got outside the door, the boy turned to Yixing. 

"I'm Kim Joonmyun, by the way." He pointed to himself as he said this before turning around back the way they'd came. 

Yixing was now 15 minutes late for his lesson. 

He nervously knocked on the door. 

"Come in!" Called a womans voice.

He stepped in and bowed at the woman who was standing at the front of the class. 

"Oh, Yixing i was wondering where you'd got off to!" Luhan said in Chinese. 

He was sitting at the front of the class again, with an empty seat next to him. 

Yixing understood a few of the topics they were studying, because he remembered doing them in China. 

It was near the end of the lesson and he started thinking about the kind Joonmyun who'd helped him. 

He hadnt even got the chance to thank him.

The lesson ended and it was break time; and since Yixing didnt know anyone else, he stuck with Luhan. 

"So do you understand any Korean?" Luhan asked as they walked out.

Yixing shook his head, causing Luhan to laugh.

"It's a good thing you're in Korea then, eh?" 

Yixing frowned and pouted at Luhan, "I didnt plan to come here, my mum just got a really good job..." 

"I was only kidding!" Luhan grinned.

They walked through the lunch hall, which was full of people. 

"Hope you dont mind me sitting with you..." Yixing said nervously. 

"No, of course not! You're in luck really... there's only 2 other Chinese students and i happen to be good friends with them!" 

Yixing smiled.

He felt much happier knowing that he might have friends he could talk to.

Things just kept getting better.


A/N~ ok so i've now edited it so i hope you like it XD (well, i sort of just added gaps between the sentences.. im hoping there arent too many gramatical or spelling errors... sorry if there are XD)

hope you enjoy 

**update** 

if you want to know the translations of the Chinese on my art work go to my tumblr XD

xoxox