VIII

Sudden Serenade

The rest of the beach trip went by peacefully.  When they went back to school, they announced the coupling of Woohyun and Dok Mi.  Everyone cheered.  Dok Mi tried avoiding compliments, but Woohyun received them greatly and made his girlfriend accept them, too.  As awkward as she felt, she was happy.  She understood why Taejoon and Hye Ri were upset with her, but Woohyun did everything he could to distract her from feeling bad about it.  

   “Oh darling~” Woohyun greeted as he ran to the door that Dok Mi held open.  She rolled her eyes and grinned.  He took the door away from her and that was when she noticed he was holding something behind his back.  

   “What’s that?”  She asked.  He looked like he was having a difficult time holding something behind his backpack.  She tried to peer at it but he lightly kicked her away.  

   “Wait until all these people pass,” he whined.  She nodded and patiently waited for everyone to pass.  Because he would take the door from her and hold it, and because she greeted everyone, they came to be known as the Morning couple and the name WooMi faded away.  Woohyun, however, would still brag to everyone about their relationship by addressing it as WooMi.  

   No one was in sight and Woohyun shut the door.  He whipped around a bouquet of flowers and shoved them in her face. 

   “Daisies and baby’s breath.  Just for you~” he cooed.  She laughed and took them away from him. 

   “Thank you so much!”  She exclaimed.  She rubbed her fingers across the petals and looked up at him in confusion.   “Why did you get these for me?”  

   “Erm…  Ah…”  He cleared his throat.  He became really red and a smile broke out on his face.  “Because…  I love you,” he said.  fell open and she almost dropped the flowers.  He pushed them back in her grasp and held on to her wrists as he stepped closer to her.  “I love you,” he said more confidently.  She nodded and looked down at the flowers in embarrassment.  Although they’d been dating for a month, he still had to tilt her chin up so she would look at him at times like this.  

   “I…  Was not expecting that,” she teased.  Woohyun laughed and kissed her cheek.

   “You know you want to say it, too~”

   “Why do you always force it out of me?”  She laughed.  He slid around her and gave her a back hug.  

   “Because I know you want to say it, you just need help,” he whimpered in her ear.  She smiled and shook him off of her. 

   “I love you, too.”   

 

 

   “Mom!  Look at the flowers Woohyun gave me!”  Dok Mi yelled through the house.  Woohyun followed her in and refused letting go of her hand in front of her mother.  Dok Mi was trying to escape his hold and she heard a pleasant laugh.    

   “You have quite the catch,” her mom teased as she took the flowers from Dok Mi.  She went to put them in a vase and was followed by the couple.  “Woohyun, are you staying for dinner again?”

   “Yes ma’am,” he responded.  He watched Dok Mi’s mom contemplate something and asked her what was wrong.  

   “I was invited on a date tonight…”  She admitted.  Dok Mi’s eyes widened and Woohyun wrapped an arm around her shoulder.  

   “I’ll take care of your daughter, Ms.  Lee.  You enjoy your date,” he happily stated.  Dok Mi was too surprised to shake Woohyun off of her.  

   “Oh, thank you, Woohyun!”  Ms. Lee cheered.  She looked at Dok Mi and tried to stay composed.  “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you,” she apologized.  Dok Mi was happy for her mom, but she was upset that she had been undermined.  She nodded and patted her mom’s shoulder.  

   “It’s okay,” she assured weakly.  She turned, ducked under Woohyun’s arm and made her way to her bedroom.  Woohyun bowed to Ms. Lee and followed Dok Mi.  After he walked into her room, Ms. Lee was also going to enter.  Her daughter stopped her at the doorway and looked at her sadly before closing the door.  

   “You’re not allowed to close the door when he’s here,” she heard her mom protest.  Dok Mi locked it and pressed her forehead to the door.  

   “We just need to talk,” she tried to argue.  She heard her mom sigh and babble and sigh again.

   “Fine.  I’ll be gone in a few minutes, though.  Don’t you want to meet my date?”  

   “Not today,” Dok Mi quickly blurted.  There was another moment of silence before she heard her mom walk off.  She turned to see Woohyun frowning at her. 

   “You know she doesn’t deserve that attitude,” Woohyun said.  Dok Mi nodded and walked past him to sit on her bed.  

   “But this is something big.  What if the guy really likes her?  What if they get married?  And she didn’t tell me?  We tell each other everything!”  She complained.  She began to cry and Woohyun sat down on the floor in front of her.  He grabbed her hands and wiped away her tears.  

   “She should have told you,” he agreed.  “But you can’t get mad at your mom for wanting to keep her happiness to herself.  She probably didn’t want to interfere with your happiness.”

   “I know, and that makes me feel like crap,” Dok Mi laughed through her tears.  Woohyun was glad to see her smile again and sat beside her.  He wrapped her in a hug and pulled her into his chest.  

   “It’ll pass,” he calmed.  She nodded and hugged him back.  After a few minutes of moping around, Dok Mi pulled away from him and sighed.  

   “We’ve dated for a month now, huh?”  She said.  Woohyun nodded.  “It’s been a good month.  Sorry I’ve been so emotional.  It’s…  You know…  Almost that time,” she joked.  Woohyun laughed and messed with her hair.  

   “I figured.  You almost broke down crying when your lunch tasted bad.”

   “Hey!  It tasted really terrible!”  She protested.  They both laughed and pushed each other.  Dok Mi grabbed a pillow and hit him.  He did, too, and eventually they were having a pillow fight around her room.  Dok Mi stood on her bed and whacked at his head while he tried to take her out at the knees.  She fell but managed to stay upright and continued hitting him.  He grew tired of it and threw away his pillow.  She kept forcing hers his way and he grabbed it.  They began a tug of war and Woohyun decided to play a dirty trick.  

   “Ah, I guess I’ll let you win,” he sighed before he stopped pulling on the pillow.  Dok Mi was unaware and Woohyun fell on top of her as soon as she pulled back.  She tried to wriggle out from beneath him but he pinned her shoulders down.  “Can we cuddle?”  He asked innocently.  Her eyes widened and she gulped.  

   “Um, yeah.  Sure,” she nervously said.  She rolled over to the far side of the bed and he hopped beside her.  He laid himself on his side and looked at her with one of his hands grabbing her wrist.  

   “Closer~” he whined.  She silently scooted over and was eventually swallowed in his arms.  “Perfect.”  He tucked her head underneath his chin and began humming.  “You’re as stiff as a board,” he sang softly.  She became even stiffer and he laughed.  “Relax.  I’m not going to do anything to you.”  

   She cleared and tried to relax.  She put a hand on his waist and curled up into him.  She could feel him smile and she felt accomplished.  “I like this,” she admitted.  

   “Me, too,” he agreed.  They stayed silently in that position for a while.  Once they heard Ms. Lee leave, they began to feel awkward but held their ground.  Eventually, Dok Mi shot up and sighed.  

   “I can’t do this.  Too tempting,” she stated and scrambled away from him.  He sat and watched her try to compose herself at the bottom of the bed.  

   “What do you mean?”  He teased.  It was his only way of making himself feel less awkward.  She looked at him in horror and she ran to her door.  Before she could open it, Woohyun wrapped her in another back hug and whispered in her ear.  “I won’t do anything.”

   “Get off of me,” she whined as she spun around to push him off.  He laughed and let her go.  

   “Fine,” he cooed and grabbed her left hand.  She softly grinned and led him into the kitchen.  They made dinner together and she revealed chocolate that she had made to him for desert.  “You made this for me?”

   “I couldn’t decide what to buy you, so I made you a chocolate heart.  I hope you like it!”

   “I’m sure it tastes disgusting.”

   “I’m sure you taste disgusting,” she quipped.  He chuckled and broke the heart in half. 

   “Split it with me?”

   “Nope, you’ve gotta have alllllllll of my heart,” she insisted.  He rolled his eyes and ate all of it.  He was surprised that it actually tasted professional and patted her head.  

   “Good job.  Now it’s my turn,” he said.  

   “What?”

   He winked at her and got up to go to his book bag.  She watched him pull something out, hide it behind his back, and tip toe over.  

   “Close your eyes,”  he ordered.

   “No I—“ She was cut off.  Woohyun put his hand over her eyes and sighed.

   “I was trying to be romantic, but this’ll do,” he whined.  When he took his hand off of her eyes, she watched him open up a ring box.  

   On the inside were two plain, silver rings.  They were engraved with the word “Infinite” on the outside and “Forever” on the inside.  Woohyun plucked a ring out and slid it over her fourth finger.  Following such, he put a ring on his fourth finger.  

   “Couple rings,” he chirped softly.  She started tearing up and he brought her into a hug.  “You’re only crying because you’re premenstrual, right?”

   “No, you jerk!”  She laughed and hit his back.  “Thank you; thank you so much.”

   “Thank you,” he responded.  He began her hair and lowered his voice.  “Remember how I said I couldn’t promise you forever?”  She nodded into his chest.  “I think I can, now.”  

   With that, a massive sob fest began.  He had to calm her down and make funny jokes to get her cheery again.  They watched a movie and fell asleep on the couch.  Ms. Lee came home with her date and they were both shocked to see the two in that state.

   “Let’s go out again.  Right now,” Ms. Lee suggested.  Her date nodded and they headed out, letting everything remain at peace.

 

 

   Woohyun eventually debuted along with the other Infinite members.  Trainees weren’t allowed to have girlfriends, but he assured Dok Mi that she’d always be the only girl in his heart.  For 5 years, they secretly sent each other messages; it was normal for them to only hear from one another once a month.  Finally, after the hysteria had calmed down and Woohyun was old enough to escape the dating ban, he ran right back to Dok Mi and told the world about their relationship.  They both still wear their couple rings and Woohyun plans on giving her a new one tonight…  As in, an engagement ring.  

   Myungsoo and Minah eventually broke up.  Myungsoo wasn’t okay with all of her clinginess, but Sungyeol didn’t seem to mind.  It turns out that he wasn’t jealous of Minah taking Myungsoo away; he was only jealous of Myungsoo taking Minah away.  A few months after the break up, Sungyeol was given the green light to ask her out.  She said yes and they occasionally join Woohyun and Dok Mi for double dates.

   Ms. Lee eventually found a guy that was right for her.  She is also being surprised with an engagement ring soon.  

   Hye Ri and Taejoon remained angry people who made excuses for their mistakes.

   The rest of the Infinite boys are still looking for love, but they are quite content with watching Woohyun and Sungyeol.  They’ve decided to look for love that will make them as happy as their friend-couples are. 

   Most importantly, everyone (except Hye Ri and Taejoon) concluded that friendship and love were the greatest factors in their lives.  Everything they work for is with love and respect, and with those two things they will always be happy.