Chapter 006

The Vanity in My Love

~~Chapter 006~~

"Wow...." Onew mused, staring at Luna texting.

"What?" Luna asked, watching him stare at her. Luhan was bombarding her with texts and she enjoyed talking to him. However, he was only a friend, in her mind. To him, she was already his girlfriend. For the past month, Luhan had been giving Luna little gifts and sending her good morning texts as a caring boyfriend would.

"Nothing. It's amazing that its been a month since you put Luhan under the trap and he still hasn't lost interest."

"Yah!" Luna pouted, hitting his shoulder.

Onew dodged her hand and it landed on the couch instead. Luna groaned and went back to her phone. The room went back to its original silence as Luna continued her conversation with Luhan and  Onew studied diligently.

"Hey, when's prom?" Luna asked.

"June 7th." Onew replied.

Luna smirked. "How do you know the date so well?"

"What do you mean? It is general knowledge. Everyone knows when it is." Onew tilted his head to look at Luna.

"So, are you taking anyone?" Luna wondered casually.

"Actually, someone already asked me." Onew said quietly.

Luna widened her eyes. She held back a sigh and tried to laugh. "Yah, who would ask you?"

"Kim Taeyeon."

"Aiish, this girl is just too obsessed." Luna muttered under her breath. Her heart hurt. She wanted Onew to be the one taking her. Now, she realized that he didn't like her and only thought of her as his parents' friends' daughter.

"So are you going with Luhan?" Onew smiled, not discerning Luna's  changed mood.

"He has not asked me yet." Luna replied, unsmiling. She stood up and left the room.

~~~

"Luna!!" Luhan called. Luna smiled as she got off the university bus.

"Luhan!"

"Hey, I wanted to ask you if you want to come have ice cream with me." Luhan said.

"Now?" Luna stifled a laugh.

"Yes! Please?" Luhan pouted cutely and Luna had to agree.

They ran to an ice cream cart and Luna noticed a large helium balloon going by. It read Luna Park, will you.....

"Hey, it says my name on the balloon!" Luna laughed.

"Yes and so does the ice cream."Luhan smiled, handing her an ice cream sandwich with her name on it. The sandwich wrapper read, go to prom with me? ~Luhan.

Luna gazed at Luhan, speechless.

"So will you?" Luhan asked.

"Yes, I will." Luna nodded. Luhan grinned brightly and hugged her tightly.

"That was extremely creative and thoughtful, Luhan. Thank you so much!" Luna said.

"Thank you for accepting me. Luna, you're so kind and lovable. I don't think I have ever met a girl like you."

"Aigoo...you're making me blush!" Luna giggled.

"Yah, lovebirds! Hurry up! Class is starting!" Choi Minho shouted, interrupting Luna's and Luhan's staring contest.

Luna and Luhan looked away from each other and caught up with Minho.

~~~

Throughout the class, Onew was watching Luna and Luhan. He observed how Luhan would glance at Luna to see if she was staring at him and then Luna would look at him. Then, the two would smile secretively.

Onew smirked at the situation. It was too mushy for him.

At the end of class, Luna stopped by Onew's desk and said, "Yah, Luhan wants to know if you want to come with us to buy our prom apparel. You can bring Kim Taeyeon along so you can coordinate dress colors."

Onew was about to refuse when Taeyeon, who had been listening in on their conversation, interjected, "Yes! We would love to!"

Onew glared at the back of her head and Luna giggled.

"Alright. Lets get going." Luhan said.

The four walked out of the classroom and outside.

"So, I found this store that sells prom dresses and tuxedos. We can go there by bus and then walk five to ten minutes." Luhan said.

"Are you serious? Lets just go in my car." Onew said. Luna smiled at Luhan, who seemed confused and then smiled back at Luna.

When they reached the car, Taeyeon eagerly opened the door of the passenger seat. Onew stopped her and said, "Its kind of messy in the front. Luna can switch seats with you."

Taeyeon frowned and reluctantly let Luna come in. Luna was all smiles as she sat next to Onew. She felt special, as she knew that Onew would only allow his parents and his future wife to sit in this seat. 

The car ride was fairly quiet, with the exception of Luna's failed attempts at a conversation.

As they reached the store, Luna gaped at the dresses displayed in the showcase. Each one was unique and had its own flair to it.

"Onew-ah! Look at this! Wow...." Taeyeon's eyes landed on a crimson colored ball gown.

Onew grimaced slightly and said, "Taeyeon-ssi, I think that's a bit too grand for prom."

"Oh. Alright, let's keep looking then." Taeyeon looked dejected as she kept searching.

Luna observed the two interacting and huffed. Aissh. Those two are so bothersome.

"Luna-yah, have you found anything?" Luhan asked.

"Ani. I'm just waiting for the perfect dress to catch my eye." Luna said. "Why don't you look for your tux?"

"I want to wait until you find your dress so then I can match my dress shirt and tuxedo style with your dress." Luhan explained.

"That's smart." Luna nodded. She perused through the rows of dresses. Nothing caught her eye and she sighed.

Suddenly, her eyes landed upon a cream, form fitting dress. It was sleeveless and seemed to end just slightly above Luna's knees. Luna smiled brightly as she held it to her body.

"What do you think?" Luna asked Onew.

"I think it looks beautiful on you." Luhan approved.

Luna frowned when Luhan answered instead. She tried to make eye contact with Onew and noticed that he was purposely looking away and watching Taeyeon choose her dress.

"Taeyeon-ssi! Do you like my dress?" Luna called.

Taeyeon looked at Luna and gasped. "Wah, Luna-ssi. That dress suits you wonderfully."

"Komapseumnida. Yah, do you like it?" Luna addressed Onew again.

He nodded. Luna grumbled and went to the counter to pay for her dress.

Luhan rushed to get his own apparel, while Onew followed him.

It was ascertained that the dress would be delivered to her house the day before the prom and she would be able to try it on and make sure it fits her then.

"I am sure this dress will look dazzling on you." The cashier smiled at Luna. Luna thanked her and waited for Taeyeon to pay for her own dress.

The prom shopping commenced and Luna was content with her prom dress. If only her prom date had changed.....

~~~

"Yah, can't you do something else other than study?" Luna said, looking at Onew. It had been a few days since their prom shopping day with Luhan and Taeyeon.

"Why do you care? It seems that you're studying as much as I am lately." Onew sneered.

"How would you know that? You've been studying?" Luna stuck her tongue out.

Onew ignored her, but her statement had made an impact on him.  He silently closed the book and brought out his phone.

Onew browsed through the various apps available for purchase and settled on a song guessing game. He opened the app once it downloaded. He was greeted with the boisterous yell of DBSK's Changmin from a song of theirs, as soon as the app was loaded. Onew closed the app, startled.

"Hey, are you playing 'K-Pop Guess'?" Luna asked, excited.

"No. I was actually listening to DBMK. You think I actually play games?" Onew smirked. "I'm not immature like you."

"The group's name is DBSK, not whatever you said." Luna giggled.

Onew scowled and left the room. He had to seem cool and act like he had better things to do other than studying. His eyes lit up, as he dialed up a number.

~~~

Luna knew that Onew thought she was sophisticated and well-known. However, when he said he saw her studying as much as him, she knew that it was going to affect her reputation. So, she decided to do the classic. She would hide her textbook underneath a magazine as she read. She would hold the magazine up as she read, preventing Onew from knowing that she was actually studying.

On the other side of the bedroom, Onew was doing the same technique. He had his textbook hidden under a sports magazine.

I am so intelligent. Honestly, only geniuses, like me, can think of these ideas. I must be the next Albert Einstein. I'm surprised no one had asked me for an autograph. Luna Park, you will not be able to say I am uncool now. Onew praised himself.

There was a knock on the door and instantly, Onew hid his textbook under the bed while Luna was absorbed in her "magazine". A boy walked in and greeted Onew. Luna looked up from her magazine.

"Hi, you must be Luna Park. I'm Kim Kibum or Key. It's nice go meet you." The boy smiled.

"Hello Key. It's nice to meet you as well."Luna responded, dazed by the sudden appearance of a stranger.

"Yah, why are you staring like that? My FRIEND here decided to hang out with me for a while. Will that be a problem for you?" Onew smiled innocently.

"Ani. I'll just be here. You can do whatever you want." Luna said, going back to her reading.

Key glanced at her shirt and squealed.

Luna and Onew jumped at his high pitched scream. "Are you okay?" Luna asked.

"Oh, yes. Its just I love your shirt! It's from the latest clothing line of my favorite designer!" Key said.

"Really? I just bought because I thought it looked nice." Luna shrugged her shoulders.

"Luna-ssi, I have to show you her other creations. They are amazing. I really want to meet her one day." Key said, taking out his phone.

Luna and Key spent the rest of their time looking through their favorite outfits from the designer's website, while Onew sulked about his defeat to show Luna his social status in the university.

As Key left, Luna shouted, "I can't wait to talk to you more! Bye!"

"Me either. We should go shopping one day. Bye Onew! Sorry we didn't get to talk much." Key said.

We didn't get to talk much? We didn't even talk! Onew thought.

"Sorry for taking your time with your FRIEND." Luna laughed.

"It's alright. He's really cool, right?" Onew said.

"Yes, he's so cool that he doesn't even try to acknowledge you when you're the one who invited him here!"

"I don't care. He's a nice guy."

"You probably paid him to come here." Luna mumbled.

"Yah! I have plenty of friends!" Onew exclaimed. 

"Whatever you say...." Luna's voice faded out as she ran to the kitchen.

"Omeoni!" Luna hugged Mrs.Lee tightly.

"Aigoo...Luna...how are you, my dear?" Mrs.Lee chuckled at Luna's affection.

"Fine. Do you need any help with dinner?" Luna asked.

"Sure. You can make fried egg. I'll be making seaweed soup today!" Mrs.Lee said.

"Omeoni! Seaweed soup is only for birthdays!" Luna insisted.

"Aniyo. Why do you think that?" Mrs.Lee asked.

"Umma told me. That's why every morning on my birthday, she made me est seaweed soup, enough though I loathed it." Luna sighed.

"Luna?"

"What happened, omeoni?"

"Do you miss your parents?"

"Yes. I love staying here though. I love aggravating Lee Jinki and talking with abeoji and cooking with you."

"Will you go back after this year of college? It is your last year."

" I don't know."

"Its alright. We still have time." Mrs.Lee hugged Luna and patted her head.

"Yah, what is this?" Onew frowned, walking into the kitchen.

"Yah, you're just jealous!" Luna accused, letting go of Mrs.Lee.

"Aniyo!" Onew said.

"Yes you are! You're wondering why your mother doesn't hug you and tell you stories and ask you to cook food with her!" Luna laughed.

"Yah, I'm going to kill you if I catch you!" Onew declared, walking towards Luna.

"You said if!" Luna giggled, running away.

Mrs.Lee watched the two adults become children as they ran around the kitchen.

"They're just like they were back then." Mrs.Lee sighed.

17 years ago.....

Seoul, South Korea

Two toddlers sat in the green, soft grass, as their mothers watched and discussed their adorable argument.

" Jinki! Umma likes me more than you!" 3-year old Luna cried out.

"Aniyo. Omeoni told me that she liked me better and that she's going to send you to live with tigers and lions because you're a bad girl!" 3-year old Onew smiled.

Luna bit her lip, keeping in her tears.

"Look, she gave me these toys too!" Onew held up two cars and waved them in her face.

"Jinki! I want those cars! Give me!" Luna tried to grab for them and when Onew began to run, she shouted after him and began to chase him.

"Luna, you can't catch me!" Onew yelled, running faster.

"I'm the fastest person on Earth! Of course, I can catch you!" Luna boasted, until she fell over a tree root and landed on the ground.

Onew's smile faded as he dropped his cars, as he ran back to Luna.

"Luna? Are you okay? Umma! Luna is hurt!" Onew shouted, worried.

Luna smirked and ran away, clutching the abandoned cars.

Onew glared at her and resumed the game they were playing, except now he chased her.

The two mothers chuckled loudly at Onew's care for Luna.

"They'll end up married, one day. If that's alright with you..." Mrs.Park said.

"Who else of a daughter in-law could I want than Luna?" Mrs.Lee smiled.

Author's Note:

Annyeong!

How was this chapter? :)