Stuck in reverse

Lights will guide you home

When you try your best but don't succeed,

When you get what you want, but not what you need,

When you feel so tired but you can't sleep,

Stuck in reverse. 

 

 

"Hankyung! come here!" a loud, distinct voice called out.

"Ya! what's taking you so long!?" 

Hankyung walked up to the petite boy with firey red hair that Hankyung thought suited the boys personality remarkably well and sat down beside him, legs hanging off the roof. 

"There was no white chocolate, so i got you red bean" Hankyung said passing the red bean flavoured ice-cream to the boy. 
The boy frowned for a second before turning to look at Hankyung with big beautiful eyes and saying-

"it's okay, I suppose I can forgive you this one time." 

Hankyung scowffed. "how about buying your own next time then?"

The boy laughed, a loud and unique laugh, that could be recognized a mile away, if someone wanted to describe 'joy' or 'hapiness' without words they could use that bizarre laugh. But thats one of things Hankyung loved about Heechul. Even though he was so good with words that the seemed to flow effortlessly out of his mouth and cicle around him with a life of there own, it was the little things he did that could be understood clearly no matter what language you spoke without needing to be translated. His laugh, his smirk, his expressions and tone, everything that was Kim Heechul, his best friend, almost his brother. Maybe more then a brother, really.

They continued to talk sitting on the roof of an abandoned building three storeys high in an alleyway in a less developed part of Seoul city. It had been where they first met. Hankyung smiled at the memory. He had been so upset and angry about leaving China and coming to a foreign country where he couldn;t understand anyone that he had runaway. he ended up lost in an alleyway at 12 o'clock in the night, unable to talk to anyone or find his way back. 

"YA!" He stopped dead in his tracks. "여기서 뭐하는거야?" He looked up trying to find the owner of the voice and saw a beautiful girl, no..a boy? perched three storeys high on top of an abandoned building wearing school uniform with one earphone pulled out so that he could address Hankyung.

"나는 당신에게 질문을?" The boy above him said

Hankyung wasn't sure what to do, he didn't understand anything. 

"I, um, I Don't speak Korean?" Hankyung replied in Chinese. Stupid Hankyung he thought, the boy won't understand Chinese. He was desperately trying to remember some Korean to tell the boy he couldnt understand when the boy spoke again.

"오, 외국인? 나도 그렇게 생각" 

The boy then waved his hand signalling Hankyung to join him. Hankyung decided there wasnt much else he could do and walked up the stairs at the side of the house before coming out on the roof. The boy tapped the spot beside him. Hankyung went over and sat down. 

"희철" the boy said pointing to himself.

"Oh" Hankyung realizing what he meant "Hee..chul? Your name is Heechul?" He asked. Heechul nodded Hankyung pointed to himself

"HanGeng" He said

"Hankyung" Heechul replied

"No, Han Geng, Geng not Kyung"

"아니, HanKyung" Heechul said with triumphant smirk that led Hankyung to believe his name was never going to be properly pronounced, not that he really minded. Heechul then passed him an earphone and they had say together all night looking at the stars listening to music. In the morning, Heechul managed to get an address from Hankyung and had directed him there in a taxi. Hankyung had then pushed his parents to make sure he was in the same school as Heechul. 

"what are you laughing about?" Hankyung woke up from his memories and relized he had been chuckling to himself. 
"ahh, what?" He said intelligently.

"nevermind, hey you said you had something important to tell me before?" Heechul inquired

Hankyung face immediately darkened. "Oh yeah,.. well, my parents, well there business isn't going as well as they thought so..." Hankyungs Korean suddenly turned stilted and would have been impossible to understand to anyone but Heechul.

"what are you trying to say, Hannie?" Heechul's voice had turned serious and his eyes were fixed straight ahead.  Hankyung felt a pang in his stomache at the pet name, Heechul was making this very hard for him to do. 

"I.. might be moving back to China?" Hankyung offered instantly wanting to take back his accented words when Heechuls face turned furious.

"what!? you might be moving back to China? What does that even mean Hankyung? How long have you known about this? " Heechul had stood up and was facing Hankyung with hard eyes.

"A few months" Hankyung said softly "but, I.."

"a few months!? Ya you Idiot! Why didn't you say anything before then? You stupid selfish bastard! You don't have to leave you want to leave! admit it!

"I do miss it, Heechul, but I promise I want to stay I'm doing everything I can, its not certain or anything we might.." Heechul cut him off.

"do what you want Hankyung" Heechul said bitterly. He turned to leave but then stopped before saying. 

"You know what? I really hate you Hankyung" 

Hankyung felt as though he had been stabbed with a cold knife right in his stomache, no, he would have preferred to be stabbed. anything was better then Heechuls words slicing through him, tearing him apart. He watched Heechul leave. He wanted to run after him but he didnt want Heechul to see the taers in his eyes clouding his vision. Hankyung muttered curses under his breath. No, he decided tears or not he was going after Heechul, he needed his best friend. He ran to the stairs quickly and leaping down hoping to catch Heechul. he landed with all his weight onto the landing of the 2nd storey. As soon as he landed on it, the rotten frame supporting it gaveway, and Hankyung was falling from 2 storeys high before he could register what had happaned.