Family and Friends Part 1 – Those Sparkles I Used To Have That She Brought Back Again

Heart, Hand, and Mind

After that rather long phone call with her, Taengoo and I decided to stop in order for us to get ready for that family dinner featuring her tonight. I would be lying if I say that I’m not nervous for her. I’m nervous alright. Since I didn’t engage myself with romance since birth (blame it to my excessive love for the violin and music), plus I don’t have any close friends, I didn’t bring someone to my house to meet my family. I was an introvert throughout my life, but it changed when a certain someone introduced me to the world of music where I found the love of my life – my violin. Since then, I would play in every presidential meetings and gatherings all over the world. I even played once for President Barack Obama of United States. But those sparkles that I used to have can never be brought back again. Instead, I found a new hope in the person of Kim Taeyeon. She’s the only one who can be serious and fun at the same time. And as time goes by between us, the more I realize that how’s a day without me hearing her voice on the phone. How life will be if one day, Taeyeon never woke up from her sleep.

 

 

“and here I was trying to forget she has cancer…” I muttered as I look at my wallpaper. The picture of me and Taengoo doing all sorts of crazy things in a collage; the picture that never fails to amuse and make me smile every time I see it.

 

“who has cancer Stephi?” for the nth time today, Michelle startled me by appearing all of a sudden in my bedroom. Knocking is not one thing she has to do and sometimes it annoys me.

 

“Michelle, knock some other time please?”

 

“okay okay. Anyway, who has cancer?” this older sister of mine is nosy. Real nosy and curious all around~

 

“Taeyeon…” I answered her with a straight face. As much as possible, I don’t want to remember any single thing of Taeng’s disease. It will just make me sad knowing that she had limited time left.

 

“Cancer is curable so… Taeyeon fighting!” she did a fist pump in the air with such smile on her face. I hated her being all positive like this but at the same time, I hated myself for being all negative too. I guess we’re really different. She’s an extrovert and I’m an introvert.

 

“sorry to break your happiness but, Taeng has a stage 4 colon cancer and her living days are limited…”

 

“is...that...so...” her enthusiasm seemed to vanished in just split seconds because of that sudden announce. She never met Taeyeon yet but, my sister is the type of person to sympathize and be sad together with a person. An older sister character right?

 

“I was the same as you when I found that out…” my reaction’s a no joke the moment I found that out.

 

“then I guess, we should make her remaining days more fun~” her mood suddenly brighten up

 

“yep~”

 

 


At exactly 6:30 pm, Taengoo arrived at our little cozy home. I welcomed her at our doorstep with my older brother with smiles on our faces. Dad was on the kitchen already and Michelle was transferring the cooked food from the pan to the bowls. She was the one who cooked all of the food tonight since the rest of our happy family can’t cook some scrumptious food like hers. But the pastries on the table, I was the one who baked it. Can’t cook but can bake, pretty clever huh? I wonder if Taengoo will like it though. She once mentioned that she like all sorts of cakes so I did my very best so that it can be passed on her standards. After all, she’s a special guest tonight.

 

“Good evening, Fany-ah, Leo-ssi” she smile widely. Wait, I didn’t mention the name of my brother yet so why the hell did she knew my brother’s name?

 

“H-Hi Taeng…”

 

“you probably thinking why I knew his name right?” there she goes again with her mind-reading moments

 

“Steph, I probably didn’t mentioned  this to you yet but, the moment I heard Taeyeon’s name from you via those stories, I doubt if she’s that  Kim Taeyeon,  who is an old classmate of mine in high school so, I gave her a call and it was confirmed, she that genius Kim Taeyeon from our class”

 

“like to flatter as always eh Hwang?” Taengoo shrugged at the compliment and giggled

 

“oh come on. Who graduated with 50 awards plus lots of certificates on hand years ago? Who graduated from Harvard University at the age of twenty-one with 5 Master’s degree eh? You right~” Leo nudged Taeyeon lightly on the shoulders

 

“eh~ Taengoo is a genius~” I said happily knowing that I became friends with the right company. Maybe one time I could ask her help with my homework and ask her to tutor me~

 

“oh no I’m not. I’m just an ordinary human” she rubbed the nape of her neck with a flustered face

 

“if you’re normal then what about us? Below normal?” Leo again

 

“Leo~ Stephi~ bring Taeyeon her to the kitchen now~ Food is ready~” we heard Michelle shouting from the kitchen for us to hear

 

“So Taengoo let’s go~”

 

I grabbed Taengoo’s left hand and intertwined it with mine as I lead her to the kitchen. Leo can clearly see it but he doesn’t mind at all and instead smiled warmly at me. As if encouraging me to make me feelings heard even more. I guess he took the hint that I’m feeling somewhat smitten to Taeng. I mean, how could someone not like Taengoo? She’s beautiful, kind and smart. She’s a perfect woman indeed. But, oops, I better keep my thoughts to myself since this friend of mine has special powers. Mind reading powers that never fail to amuse and shock me.

 

“Good evening Mr. Hwang and…”

 

“it’s Michelle” Michelle smiled at her

 

“Michelle. Good Evening” Taengoo smile at her too

 

“oh my, you’re such a fine young lady. No wonder my sister right here have been smitten by you~” What the heck is my sister doing!? Omo! She’s embarrassing me in front of Taengoo!

 

“Michelle! Arg! Sorry about that non-sense Taengoo…” I hid my tomato-like face from their sight earning small giggles from all of them. Aish~ being the youngest can be quite handful sometimes since you’re the teasing back up.

 

“haha I really don’t  mind every single bit of it” Taeng smiled at me. She showed a beautiful smile that’s only for me. Should I blush at this moment?

 

“I think not…” she suddenly blurted making me think that she read my mind again

 

“okay. Enough of your antics Stephi and let’s dig up!” my father said dorky that set the mood normal again

 

“yeah haha and I’m pretty sure that this little girl wanted a certain someone to eat her cakes that she made especially for her~? Again, another teasing from Michelle!

 

“haha let’s dig up~”

 

So basically and to be honest, we spend our dinner eating and teasing Taeyeon with me. I don’t know why but somehow, I feel that my whole family knew my not-so-pure feelings towards a certain someone. And I’m pretty sure they were rooting for me to her, like any family would do. Taeyeon on the other hand, didn’t mind the teasing and instead go with the flow. She was really open and cozy like this that made me oh-so for her. I wonder if she feels the same for me to. That “close” to more than friends love.

 

“So Taeyeon…” My dad spoke

 

“yes, Mr. Hwang?”

 

“what is your past job before resting because of cancer?” he said with a sorry tone in his voice.

 

“I worked as a Psychologist at Sowon Hospital. Became a Civil Engineer at Choi Engineering Firm, and became an Entrepreneur too” she smiled.

 

“you’re really an amazing woman. Good to have you as Stephi’s friend”

 

“it was my pleasure meeting and becoming Fany’s friend”

 

“Taeyeon, why don’t you spend the night here on our house? I’m sure a certain someone will like the idea of it” Michelle grinned widely at me

 

“I can call your parents for you Taeng” Leo butted in making a double kill for them. Seriously these older siblings of mine

 

“Is it okay?” Taeng looked at me with puppy eyes that are impossible to refuse. Of course I don’t mind sleeping with her. I actually like it like what Michelle has told her.

 

“so it’s a yes?” she smiled and nodded in agreement

 

“woohoo~ good job Steph!” Michelle and Leo said in unison

 


 

After the dinner, me and Taengoo went to the balcony to watch the beautiful starry sky. This is my first time watching the beautiful sky with a friend. And Taengoo, safe to say, she took the sensation with me being engulfed in her hug with our hands intertwined with each other. She would occasionally kiss the crown of my head when she got the chance too. I don’t mind her doing those things with me since I wanted that to happen too. We met days ago and yet, I feel already attached to her like a little puppy with his master. I guess it was on the given fact that we understood and clicked with each other. Things happen huh?

 

“Taeng…can I give you a nickname?” I looked at her with my puppy eyes

 

“what nickname then?” she kissed my forehead

 

“hmm~ TaeTae!” I hugged her tightly

 

“TaeTae is good so okay~”

 

“hehehe~”

 

“you’re really cute you know…”

 

TaeTae looked deeply in my eyes in which I blushed and turned away my gaze from her. She leaned even closer to me with flustered face as I continue to blush. I knew what will happen next and I want her to tease me even more. Since she can read my mind, she out her thumb to my chin and lifted it up only for me to have an eye contact with her. I then closed my eyes puckered my lips, anticipating on what will happen. My hunch was made right when I felt soft lips on my own. There goes my first kiss. But I didn’t regret it though, since my first kiss was the person I’m crushing with. It isn’t bad at all in my point of view.

 

“Fany…” she called again

 

“hmm?”

 

“sorry…I can’t stop myself…it felt too damn good…”

 

“it’s okay. I like it too…” I blushed

 

“is that so…” she blushed too

 

“one more time…” and with that, we spend our free time before sleeping by kissing each other passionately. So I guess we’re more than friends now huh? But less than lovers of course. Either way, I don’t mind anything now as I’m enjoying this passionate kiss of ours. I wish this sensation last forever and ever.