Newly Found Hope

Heart, Hand, and Mind

“Taengoo-ah? Where are we going?”

“Secret.”

With a sketchbook and pencil on her right hand and my hand on her left hand, my newly found friend Taengoo held me with full of sincerity as we go somewhere. After I had promise her earlier that I will not attempt to commit such disgraceful act like suicide, she decided to take me somewhere as my reward for making a promise to her. It was long ago that I have felt excited in going to a certain destination like this. I know I shouldn’t trust someone whom I met hours ago that easily; I should be frightened at this very point. But, I didn’t think twice of letting her take my hand and lead me somewhere. Because I know, she will take me to the place where I could have my peace of mind and feel at ease; if that place really exists here on earth. There is something about this free-spirited indie painter that makes me want to know her more. She wasn’t that mysterious but, she wasn’t that open either. Your typical human I might say. Things are better that way though, I mean, if she was all open and free; then I wouldn’t have the chance to know her more by myself. In other words, I have to work hard just to know her deepest darkest character, in a good way of course.

“Finally~ here we are Fany…” she looked at me with such radiant smile on her face, like she was waiting for my reaction. I don’t know where the hell we could be but, I have to admit that this place Taengoo took me was so~ beautiful. It was way more beautiful than Disney Land or any other theme park. I never know that this place exist here in South Korea. Since my friend was expecting my reaction, I looked at her with pure sincerity in my eyes and gave her the eye-smile she wanted to see often. That alone made her smile sheepishly and held my hand tighter. If other people didn’t know about our situation right now, we really looked like a high-school couple on one of their dates.

“It’s so beautiful here, Taengoo. Where are we?” I asked her with a captivated look.

“Han River Riverbank. I wanted to show you this particular place in the riverbank, which we are currently in, to help you soothe your mind from all the stresses you’ve been to. Although there are no rides her like in Lotte World or in Disney Land, I assure you, 100%, that this place will really help you to do all the thinking you need to do. When I was diagnosed with a Stage 4 Colon Cancer, I went here to enjoy the view and thanked God for the wonderful 25 years of life he had given me and after that, I went back to our house in a great mood as if I didn’t receive the news that my days are numbered.” Now I know why she uttered those words when she stopped me from jumping. It was really unfair for her, who still wants to live and yet didn’t have the chance to. I know she wanted to get married and have children. I know she wanted to see Hayeon-ah earn a degree in college and build her own family. I know she wanted to take care of her parents when they grew old. But all of those things are impossible now with her current situation. I should be ashamed of myself.

“Taengoo, now that I heard your soul, I wanted to apologize for attempting to end my life. You’re right; it’s really unfair for the people whose days I numbered. You wanted to do a lot of things and yet you couldn’t. I’m so selfish right? Now I’m starting to question why you are helping me recover my old self with this attitude of mine” I hugged my knees and began to close my eyes when suddenly, I felt Taengoo hug me, as if she was transferring all her body heat to me.

“Look, I didn’t mean it that way when I uttered those words. You’re depressed and stressed enough that’s why you thought about ending your own life, which was very wrong indeed. But then again, you don’t need to apologize on your actions; you’re still an ordinary human who thinks about the negative before trying. I’m also the same mind you”

“You know, I’ve only met you for like-hours but I feel so attached to you. You’re the very first person who understood me fully aside from my late mother. We’ve been moving a little fast but, this feels so damn right.”

“I’ve been feeling the same way as you…” she smiled to me and I smiled back to her. We’ve stayed in our hugging position as we continue to savor the moments of finding a new friend we could count on. I knew somehow deep in my heart that no matter what obstacle we may stumble in the way, Taengoo will always be there for me.

“Fany-ah?”

“Hmm?” I looked at her as she snuggles into the crook of my neck. Quite ticklish, but I still love the sensation it was giving me.

“Please do apologize on your older sister for talking back. It’s not right to talk about on the person older than you. I’m pretty sure she was doing all of those for your sake and not for hers. She was not fed up on you like you thought the moment she snapped out. Trust me when I say that being the oldest in the siblings isn’t easy. She has to be patient and understanding to do a job that your mother left her when she ascended to heaven” she was damn right about that. How come I couldn’t notice that Mich was only doing her job as the second mother in the family? Oh yeah. I, too, became stressed out with my right hand being injured that I didn’t have the will to listen and care. I only cared for my career and that’s a given fact.

“I will do that Tae…” I gave her a smile to prove that I was sincere with my words

“I expect a call from you once you do…” she took my hand and intertwined it with hers as we continue to admire the beauty of Han River. I don’t care if we’re moving in a fast pace in our character development, I don’t care any single thing right now for all I care is Taengoo. Only Taengoo.

 


I went back home about 6 o’clock in the evening and was greeted by a very worried Michelle Hwang, Leo Hwang and Dad. Taengoo was right; I was blinded by the glistening light of my career that I failed to notice that I have the true treasure right before my eyes, my very own family. My very own family that never failed to give love and comfort. Oh wow. Taengoo really hit the jackpot! In just hours of meeting her, I reflected almost all of what I did wrong in my life. Such plot twist you gave me Kim Taeyeon.

“Dad..Oppa…Unnie…I’m so sorry…” I hang my head low in order to hide my tears from them. I expect a slap from Michelle and lots of scolding from Dad and Leo. Instead of getting those, I was unexpected engulfed in a tight hug. All I could see was tears forming from their eyes. Whether it was tears of happiness or relief, that I don’t know. I just want to feel this warm moment again.

“Don’t be sorry Stephi… I’m the one who needs to be. I’ve been a bad sister towards you. If only I soothed you, you wouldn’t be depressed over your career. To think that I promised Mom that I will do my very best to take care of you…”

“Unnie…” I hugged her even tighter as I let out my pent up emotions on her should with Dad and Leo smiling with relief.

After that made-up scene, we family ate dinner together again for the first time in forever. I didn’t let the chance slip to send Taengoo a message like I promised to her. I’m sure she will be glad by the outcome of her advices and I hope by that, she will take me somewhere again. Hehe that would be fun indeed. Oh those marvelous adventures we will go through!

 

To: Taengoo <3

Tae~ I’ve made up with them now :D Thank you again for the marvelous time and experience who have given me today. First time in forever! Woohoo!

ps: Take me somewhere again this week. Please? *shows eye smile*

 

*beep*

 

“fast…”

 

From: Taengoo <3

I’m glad to hear that Fany-ah. Of course, I would love to take you somewhere again and enjoy with you <3 and you know, I, too had a marvelous time today. Thank you so much.

Don't wait for a miracle, there's a rough road in front of us with obstacles and future that can't be known, yet I won't change, you can't give up.

That was a lyric from SNSD’s “Into The New World”, please listen to it as you spazz over tonight. :)

 

“Taengoo…” that simple reply of hers made my smile up to the ears. I’m looking forward on your upcoming adventures.