Fireworks and Train Wrecks

I'll Be Your Pet If You Love Me

I rolled over and felt fireworks of pain shoot throughout my body. I opened my eyes and stared at darkness. I tired to speak couldn't. I reached up to my throat. I felt a bandage wrapped around it. I touched my face and it was covered in small bandages. Where was I? What happened? I managed to sit up against the wall but couldn't move any more. I lifted my hand on the wall and banged it twice. The door quickly opened in front of me. "Shh!" a boy around my age walked in. "No noises." He crouched down beside me. "How are you feeling?" I couldn't reply. "I tried to bandage all your wounds but I'm not sure if I got them all. I saw the men in the alley beating you and chased them off. I couldn't call the hospital so I brought you here. I don't think you have any broken bones so you should be okay," he smiled warmly. "What's your name? Who should I call?" I tried to think. Name. Name. Weird. I couldn't think of anything. I just shook my head. "You don't remember? You had a pretty nasty bump on the head." He placed his hand on the side of my head and I winced in pain. "You don't have to worry about anything though. I've taken care of a lot of animals. Some were in worse shape than you. You can just stay here until you're better. But you have to stay in here, okay? My roommates would be upset if they found out you were here. He reached over and grabbed some things. "Here's a bottle of water and some snacks. It's late so we're trying to sleep so I'm going back to bed." He got up and before closing the door said, "Good night." I had no other choice but to go back to sleep.

I woke up again to silence. Sunlight streamed under the door. I struggled over to it and opened the door. I stumbled to my feet and used the wall as support. Hallway, living room, bedroom, another room full of clothes, and then over to the kitchen. The place was empty. I went into the bathroom and stared in the mirror. At least I recognize myself. I still couldn't remember a name though. My bandages had blood seeping through. I noticed a box sitting on the floor. I opened it to find everything I'd need to change my bandages. I lifted it onto the toilet seat. I started to change the bandages on my face one by one. I was exhausted from the prolonged standing and when I let go on the sink to unwrap the one around my neck, my legs gave out and I crashed to the floor. I sat there on the floor and changed the bandages on my arms and legs. My back burned as I leaned against the open door but I couldn't reach the wounds. I pushed myself back up and looked at my neck. A bruise shaped like someone's shoe covered my neck. I could suddenly feel the shoe pressing up against my neck and I couldn't breathe. I fell backwards against the door and I came back to reality. I looked like a train wreck. I rebandaged my neck and went back and collapsed on the clothes and fell back asleep.