final

Happy Valentine's Day

My eyelids fluttered open at the sound of chirping birds. The sun shone through the partly opened curtains, giving the bedroom a warm glow. I looked to my right to discover the other half of the master bed empty. I sighed and rolled out of bed, not bothering to neaten it up.


I rubbed my eyes and yawned as I strolled into the living room. To my dismay, no one was there. I frowned and walked towards the kitchen.


"Chanyeol?" I called. But there was no answer. Instead, I found a breakfast plate consisting of sausage, egg, and potato as well as a note on the table.

 

Good morning, sunshine. Are you finally awake? I cooked this at 10am, so hopefully it's still warm. I left for the city to get you your Valentine's Day present. Enjoy yourself while I'm gone. I've left a few DVDs near the TV that I know you'll enjoy! I'll be back soon, angel. I love you :) 

 

"Oh, it's Valentine's Day today," I said aloud. I mentally kicked myself for forgetting. Every day I got to spend with Chanyeol was a dream, so Valentine's Day felt no different. We had been married for almost a year, and a part of me still could not believe the luck that I had to snag someone so kind, so handsome, and -- so perfect. I smiled as I read the last few lines of Chanyeol's message again. Still smiling, now thinking about how dorky my "perfect" husband could be, I went to the fridge and poured myself some soymilk before settling into the chair before which my breakfast laid. 


"Thanks for the food," I whispered excitedly before shoving some potato into my mouth. 


When I finished my breakfast, I quickly washed the dishes and walked back into the living room. I grabbed the DVDs that Chanyeol had mentioned in his note and plopped down on the couch to examine each one. The first one was a high school romance, High School Musical. The next one was a historical fiction, Memoirs of a Geisha. And the last one was an action movie, I Frankenstien. Choosing Memoirs of a Geisha, I the TV, placed the disk into the DVD player, and laid myself horizontally on the couch. Using pillows to prop myself up, I draped a blanket over myself, and snuggled in with an arkapasso doll I received from Chanyeol a few years back.


"A story like mine should never be told. For my world is as forbidden as it is fragile. Without its mysteries it cannot survive. I certainly wasn't born to the life of a geisha. Like so much in my strange life, I was carried there by the current," the story begins. Like me, I thought. I was carried to Chanyeol by the current. To Chanyeol and this happy life. 


A couple hours later, I yawned and stretched. The box of tissues on my stomach fell to the floor. Reaching down to pick it up, I realized how many used tissues there were scattered before the couch. The movie had been extremely heartbreaking and I cried more than I should have while feeling empathy for the main character, Sayuri. 


I looked at clock to see that a little over three hours had passed since I woke up. This meant that Chanyeol had been out for four hours. Sighing again, I wondered where he was and what he was doing. The city was only 45-minutes away by car. How could he be taking so long to get me a present? I was in no way a picky person. Anything he gave me, I would be grateful for.


To calm my nerves, I brewed some chamomile tea. Settling back on the couch, I heard a boom ring out  as lightning flashed in the distance. Then, the whispers of the rain came. Plip, plop, plip, plop, the rain said against my windows. I walked over to the balcony connected to our living room. I opened one curtain and sat down in front of the glass door with my tea and arkapasso. 


The skies had turned dark and the birds gone silent. I chuckled, thinking about how much this weather contrasted this morning's weather. Life can take an unexpected turn at any time, hmm? I thought to myself. And then, my thoughts turned to Chanyeol again. There were a few spare umbrellas in the car, right? I hoped that he would not get soaked because of this downpour of rain. 


Without realizing, another hour passed and I finished my tea. I got up from before the glass door and closed the curtain. Leaving the arkapasso on the couch and the empty cup on the coffee table, I walked into the bedroom to retreive my phone.


No missed calls. I blinked. Chanyeol would have called. It's getting late. Should I call him? Yeah. Just in case, I decided.


I unlocked my phone and dialed his number. Maybe the car got stolen, I laughed awkwardly. 


"The number you are calling is busy. Please try again --" I ended the call. I decided to try one more time. Three rings. Still no answer. I was about to close again when Chanyeol picked up. A rush of relief came over me. 


"Chanyeol!" I exclaimed. "Where are you? I've been waiting forever! You shouldn't tell me you'll be back 'soon' if its going to be 5 hours. Are you coming back yet?"


"Baekhyun?" I blinked at the unfamiliar voice.


"Who is this? Did you steal Chanyeol's phone? Wait, how do you know my name?" I asked, panicking. Did my dorky, tall husband get kidnapped? He's too tall, though. He would intimidate the kidnapper... What the hell.


"Are you Baekhyun, spouse of Chanyeol?" the voice asked again, evading my questions.


"Yes. What did you do to Chanyeol?" I said worriedly. 


"I'm so glad you called us. We could not find a way to contact you," the voice sighed. I rolled my eyes. Why was this person avoiding my questions? 


"So, what do you want?" I asked, annoyance clearly displayed in my voice. 


"I go by Officer Joonmyung. I'm sorry to be telling you this on a day like Valentine's Day," the voice started.


"What? Officer? Did Chanyeol do something?" I interrupted.


"Well, no." Officer Joonmyung continued hesitantly. "You see -- he is gone."


I blinked twice and took a deep breath. "Excuse me?"


Officer Joonmyung cleared his throat. "I said he is gone." 


"Gone?" A billion scenarios ran through my head. 


"Yes. Dead. He was hit by a car just as the thunderstorm started. He died as we got him to the emergency room."


"Gone..." I whispered.


"Are you home right now, Baekhyun?" 


I nodded. "I mean, yes," I managed to choke out.


"Alright," Officer Joonmyung responded after a few moments of discussing with people on his end of the line. "Since we have confirmed that you are home, we will send over a couple of officers and medical workers to help you get to the hospital, since you seem to be in a not-so-good state."


I nodded again.


"So, please expect them to arrive with half an hour," Officer Joonmyung said before closing the line. 


The phone slid out of my hand as I collapsed on the bed, faced down. I let out the breath that I had been holding before breaking into an ugly sob. The covers on the right side of the bed still smelled just like him.

 

 


 

Heyyy, I got this up in a day :D

Please leave comments >_< I'd really like to know what you guys thought of this story. It wasn't as sad/tragic as my NU'EST fanfic, but it kind of compares, right?