The End

A Bittersweet Valentine

                        Soah was in a good mood as she got to school. She smiled as she walked through the school gates until she saw something that made her smile fade. Yi Xing was there, standing in a corner with his guitar slung lazily on his back with his purple headphones on plus his sling-bag on the ground. He was so immersed in the music that he didn't notice her. Soah winced at the sight.

                       Ah, I forgot! I promised Yi Xing that I would pretend to be his girlfriend for the day. What am I gonna do with the gift?

                      Soah had forgotten about her promise and since it was Valentine's Day... Of course she would have gotten something for Kyung Soo. 

                      My precious red velvet cake and rose is going to go to waste! There's always next time, I suppose. Soah wailed in her head.

                      At that time, Yi Xing glanced her way. His face brightened up and he picked up his back, walking over to her.

                      " Soah! You're finally here! I've been waiting for you, you know? I hope that you didn't forget about your promise."

                      He even waited for me under the hot Sun. He must be pretty serious about this whole pretend thing.

                      Soah knew how much Yi Xing hated the Sun as he didn't want his fair skin to get burnt. He would always insist on walking under some shade. Soah guessed that's why most girls are jealous of him if not crushing on him. They all wanted his milky and pimple-less skin.

                      She forced herself to smile.

                      " Ah, I didn't forget. So uh... what should we do first?"

                      Yi Xing smiled, showing his deep dimples.

                      " I'm not sure either, let's just head to class now."

                      " Oh, ok."

                      Soah and Yi Xing started walking towards their class when Soah felt something warm slip into her hand. She looked down, only to see Yi Xing holding her hand tightly. Soah looked at him inquiringly while he gave her a bashful smile.

                      " I thought that we could hold hands since we're dating-"

                      " We're pretending to date." Soah corrected Yi Xing.

                      Yi Xing smiled sadly, making Soah feel a little guilty.

                      " Yeah, I know. Still, if you don't want to hold hands, I'm fine with it. We can just-"

                      " No it's fine! Let's just hold hands!"

                      Holding hands was the least that Soah could do after her little outburst. I can only hope that Kyung Soo doesn't see this. If he does, well, I hoep that I have a chance to explain to him, Soah thought. Though it was impossible that Kyung Soo wouldn't hear of Soah and Yi Xing 'dating'. Rumors are bound to fly. Hell, people were already starting to whisper and eye both of them.

                      " Oppa, why did you bring your guitar today?" Soah asked, trying to break the awkward atmosphere.

                      A mysterious smile replaced his sad one.

                      " You'll see."

                      Giving up on asking, Soah and Yi Xing continued walking hand-in-hand to their class when they were stopped by a bunch of people.

                      " Omo! Soah, are you finally dating Yi Xing?!"

                      " Man, you guys sure look good together!"

                      " Kyaa! The SoXing couple is gonna be the school's 'golden couple' for sure!"

                      " Soah?"

                      Soah gasped as she saw Kyung Soo coming through the crowd, his big eyes filled with confusion. He glanced back and forth between Yi Xing and Soah before settling his eyes on their hands. Yi Xing fidgeted beside Soah, not daring to look up while the said girl chewed nervously on her lip.

                       " Soah, you're dating Yi Xing?" Kyung Soo asked in a soft voice.

                       Soah didn't have an answer for that. Part of her wanted to say no but the other part of her wanted her to say yes. Soah just didn't have the heart to dump Yi Xing alone right now. Besides, she would feel guilty if she backed out of the deal.

                       Unfortunately, Kyung Soo took her silence as a yes. He tried to smile brightly.

                       " Well, congratulations then. I... I'll see you guys around, I guess. Bye." He said giving Soah one last smile.

                       Soah stared at Kyung Soo's receding back, just managing to catch a glimpse of him throwing something into a trash can. Unable to resist, Soah slipped away from Yi Xing's grasp and ran to the trash can, peering in. What she saw broke her heart. Inside the trash can was a heart-shaped box tied with a red ribbon. With trembling hands, Soah took it out and opened it. A small, pink letter fell out and she picked it up and read it.

Dear Soah,

                     Uhhhh, I'm not sure what to write but you're probably reading this at home by now. After all, I did tell you to open this gift once you got home, I couldn't bear seeing you read it in front of me. Gods, that would be damn embarrasing. Anyway, I don't know how to say this but I actually liked you ever since I got to know you. I'm not really calling this love at first sight but it's close enough. That's all, I suppose. Just tell me when you've made your decision. No rushing.

   Love, Kyung Soo

                       The piece of paper fluttered to the ground as Soah released it in shock. She stared at the contents of the box- a couple ring. She took it out and peered closely. She noticed her name carved intricately on the inside. Anger and sadness bubbled underneath Soah as she threw the ring and box on the ground, stomping on them. I can't believe that Kyung Soo liked me, he didn't even give me a chance to explain! I just ruined it! I ing ruined my only chance to be together with Kyung Soo! I shouldn't have agreed to Yi Xing's idea! Why am I so unlucky?!

                        Soah was close to experiencing a mental breakdown when someone interrupted her thoughts.

                        " Soah? Are you OK?"

                        She scowled and clutched onto her schoolbag tighter. Yi Xing... I'm not in the mood to entertain him anymore. Soah started walking quickly with Yi Xing chasing after her. She entered the class and sat down, ignoring a panting Yi Xing who sat down beside her.

                        At first, he didn't say anything but halfway through Science, Yi Xing passed her a piece of paper.

You're mad at me, aren't you Soah? I understand though. I'm sorry that Kyung Soo misunderstood. It's all my fault so I don't really mind you hitting me calling me names but don't give me the cold shoulder. I hate it when you do so just don't. Pretty please with a cherry on top? :)

                       Soah couldn't help smiling at the message. Her anger had already simmered down but her pride wouldn't let her forgive Yi Xing. Now was the opportunity. She picked up her pen and started scribling.

I was mad but I'm not anymore. 

                        She hesitated a little before continuing.

Maybe I'll have a chance to explain to him everything. I'm not gonna give up so easily.

                        Soah pushed the paper to Yi Xing and he took it, reading it intently. He sighed as he read the last line that Soah wrote. She's not gonna give up huh? Does that mean that she's not going to even give me a chance? Oh well, I still have some other stuff planned. Maybe they'll change her mind.

Suit yourself, I guess

                         They passed the time by passing notes to and fro. Soon, the bell rang, signalling recess. Yi Xing and Soah gathered their things and stood up. Smiling, Yi Xing held his hand out. After hesitating a little, she took it in hers. Yi Xing smile turned even wider as he held her warm hands tightly.

                           Both of them made their way to the canteen. Soah's smile faltered however, when she spotted Kyung Soo. Yi Xing frowned and quickly diverted her attention.

                           " Let's go somewhere quiet instead. The noise is doing my head in." Yi Xing said, dragging Soah along with him. 

                           He dragged her to a bench in the school garden where it was quiet. Yi Xing settled his guitar case on the ground and opened while Soah looked on curiously.

                          " Oppa, what are you doing?" She asked.

                          He grinned at her.

                          " I'll show you right now."

                          He started strumming a few chords on his guitar. 

                          " I actually composed a song for you."

                          Soah's eyes widened.

                          " Really?!"

                          " Ah well, it isn't exactly a full song, just the chorus. I meant to compose the whole thing yesterday but I guess that I was too nervous. I only managed to think of a few lines. I hope you like them though." 

                          Yi Xing took a deep breath. You can do this man! Prepare to wow Soah with your skills! He started strumming on his guitar.

" You're the only one I want,

I don't care if we're pretending,

I don't care if we're just playing

You're the only one that I want."

                           Yi Xing smiled as he finished singing while Soah applauded him.

                           " It's short but it's really nice. I never thought that you had such a good singing voice." Soah praised him.

                           Yi Xing should have felt happy at that comment but he couldn't help thinking. Yeah, you think that my voice and guitar skills are awesome but did you really listen to the song? Did you get the meaning of it? Yi Xing has written the song so that it could voice out his thoughts. That Soah was the only one he wanted and that he wouldn't give up even though that she had made it clear that they were just pretending.

                           " Oppa, I forgot! Would you like something to eat?" 

                           Soah had forgotten about the red velvet cake that she had bake for Kyung Soo. She fumbled with her bag and took out the box. She sighed. It's gonna go to waste if no one eats it. Out of sight, out of mind I suppose. She handed it to Yi Xing.

                           " Here you go!"

                           He smiled.

                           " You actually baked this for me? Thanks a lot, Soah. I bet that it's delicious."

                           Soah gave him an awkward smile. She couldn't bring herself to tell Yi Xing that it was originally for Kyung Soo.

                           " Uh... Yeah, I did. Enjoy, hehe."

                           Yi Xing frowned a little at Soah's awkward behavior but ate the cake anyway. He was halfway through when he noticed something in Soah's bag which she forgot to zip. 

                           Is that a... rose? He peered closer and felt his heartbeat slow down. It is a red rose. Did someone give to Soah or did she... bring it for someone? Realization dawned on Yi Xing as he looked down at the half-eaten piece of cake. She baked this for Kyung Soo, didn't she? That explains the rose. She probably brought them for him. Why did she lie to me?

                           That realization put Yi Xing in a bad mood for the whole day in school. He even refused to hold Soah's hand when she offered it. He just wouldn't cheer up no matter what Soah did. She was rather sad and confused.

                            During the last lesson of the day, she passed Yi Xing a piece of paper.

Oppa, why are you mad at me? Did I do something wrong? Please tell me.

                            Yi Xing sighed and accepted it.

Why did you lie to me? Why didn't you just tell me straight that the cake was for Kyung Soo? I saw the rose in your bag, Soah.

                           He passed the note back to her. Soah was shocked as she read it. He actually saw it?! She glanced at Yi Xing who was focusing on the lesson. No wonder he seemed so sad and angry. What am I gonna do?

I'm sorry, Yi Xing. Please forgive me?

                           Soah gave him the note and watched as he scanned it. He grimaced and just went back to taking notes, not bothering to reply at all. Soah watched him with sad eyes. I screwed up, didn't I? He'll never forgive me for sure.

                           Time passed and it was soon time for the students to head home. Soah just stood up and headed to the lockers as she had given up on Yi Xing. He surprised her by tagging along though they made the journey in silence. As soon as she left her books in the locker, Soah turned to Yi Xing.

                            " I guess that this is the end of our 'relationship'." She said, sticking out a hand. " I hope that we can still be friends though."

                            Yi Xing just stared at her hand, slowly stepping closer.

                            " I'm sorry for this."

                            He cupped her face with his hands and kissed her right on the lips. Soah just stood there, shocked at his actions. She didn't make a move to kiss him back, causing Yi Xing to deepen the kiss. Soah could feel the desperation in his actions and quickly pulled away. She shook her head.

                            " I'm sorry, Yi Xing. I'm just so sorry."

                            He gave her a sad smile.

                            " I understand, Soah. Let's just pretend that this never happened. In fact, let's just pretend that we were never friends."

                            " Yi Xing-"

                            " Goodbye, Soah. I wish that you have a better life." He said and turned away.

                            Soah stared at his back.

                          I'm sorry, Yi Xing but somehow, we never did belong together. You're a nice guy but I just can't see you as my boyfriend. I hope that you'll just get over me and find another girl who give you the happiness that I couldn't give. I hope that you'll forgive me in time. Goodbye.

                          

                         Yi Xing touched his lips bitterly as he walked away from Soah. How interesting that my first kiss will be my last one. Even if I kiss someone else, it will never be the same. A tear rolled down his cheek. I lost my bestfriend, love and first kiss on the same day. He chuckled bitterly. And I thought that Cupid was on my side too. What a bittersweet valentine...

A/N: Finally updated! This is the end, I suppose. Thanks for the support!