AYO

I'm Fine

Thank you all so much for being so patient with me <33  It's really appreciated.  Presenting the second and final installment of "I'm Fine."  Please do enjoy it :)

*Credits to SHINeeGirl3 for the cover photo of this chapter*  THANK YOU <3


Jonghyun couldn't really see anything past the blur of tears as he ran towards Misun's unconscious form.  He shouted for Mr. and Mrs. Park frantically.  Holding back a sob, the boy touched the girl's cheek.  It was cold.  Something white was running down the corner of Misun's mouth and her lips were blue.  Out of the corner of his eye, Jonghyun noticed a small blue capsule in one of Misun's hands.  "Misun. . ." he choked, "why?"  

Finally, Jonghyun snapped out of it.  He gathered up the unconscious girl in his arms.  After seeing a slip of paper underneath her, he grabbed it and put it in his pocket.  The sound of Mrs. Park's scream made him turn around.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY DAUGHTER?!  GET YOUR HANDS OFF OF HER!" she shouted.

"STOP!" Jonghyun shouted back, "I DON'T HAVE TIME TO EXPLAIN!  WE NEED TO GET HER TO A HOSPITAL!  NOW!  I have a car; just follow me!"  With that, the boy ran towards the door.

"DON'T YOU-"

"HUSH, WOMAN!" Mr. Park shouted at his wife, dragging her to the side, "LET'S JUST GO!"

Jonghyun secured Misun in the passenge seat of his car as quickly as he could before hopping in to the driver's seat.  Without bothering to buckle his seatbelt, he started his car and sped off towards the nearest hospital.  Without looking at her, the boy reached for Misun's hand and held it.  "Don't leave me, Misun," he growled, "don't you dare leave me.  We're almost to the hospital okay?  Almost there." 

Jonghyun kicked the hospital doors open, Misun held tightly in his arms.  "PLEASE!" he shouted, "SOMEONE HELP HER!"  

A doctor, who was just about to exit the hospital due to the end of his shift, turned around at the sound of Jonghyun's plea.  He saw the unconscious girl in the boy's arms.  "What happened?" he demanded, hurrying over.

"I-I'm not sure," Jonghyun choked, "but I think I know-"

At sight of Misun's blue lips and pale face, the doctor nodded grimly, understanding the situation.  "Come with me.  QUICKLY!  We don't have a lot of time!"  The doctor ran over to an open Operation Room, calling over several nurses in the process.  Jonghyun was right behind him.  "Put her down here, son.  Hopefully, it's not too late."

The boy looked at the doctor straight in the eyes.  "Save her."  It was not a request.  The doctor nodded.

"I'll do my best.  Nurses, him to the waiting room while I get started."

Jonghyun didn't even protest and two nurses gently placed their hands on his shoulders and led him out of the Operation Theatre.

Why? he thought as he slid down to the floor of the waiting room, why didn't I notice?  Why didn't I see it coming?  Now Misun's life is on the line. . . and it's my fault.  More tears slipped out of Jonghyun's eyes as he stared at the ground miserably.  For the first time in his life, he didn't know what to do.

A hysterical Mr. and Mrs. Park shook Jonghyun out of his thoughts.  "Where is she, Jonghyun?!" Mr. Park demanded.  Wordlessly, the boy pointed to the door right down the hallway.  The pair hurried down the hall, trying to get some information from the nurses.  Jonghyun remained where he sat, still in complete shock.

The real reason he had asked Misun what she was doing today. . .

was because he was planning on confessing to her.

He never thought. . .

The boy pressed his hands against either side of his head, gritting his teeth and cursing himself.  Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out the piece of paper he had found on Misun's bed.  It was a note.  A very short one at that.

I'm so tired. . .  I can't do it anymore.  I'm sorry.  I lost.

A tear fell onto the paper.

Please, Jonghyun begged silently, please just let her be okay.

After what felt like hours of waiting, the doctor finally exited the Operation Theatre.  Jonghyun was off his feet in an instant.  "How is she, doctor?" he asked immediately, "is she okay?  Are there any internal injuries?  Is she awake?!"  Mr. and Mrs. Park appeared on either side of Jonghyun, staring at the doctor.

The man sighed and removed his surgical mask.  "All I can say," he said, "it that the patient is a very lucky girl.  If you had waited even a minute longer, she would have been gone."

Mr. and Mrs. Park paled.  If Jonghyun hadn't come over, they both realized, we would have never known that anything happened.  Without a word, Jonghyun was engulfed in a large hug.

"Th-thank you s-so much," Mrs. Park stuttered.

"How can we ever repay you for what you've done for us?" Mr. Park asked.  Jonghyun smiled in relief.

"Nothing," he said, "you just have no idea how happy I am to hear that she's okay."

"But. . . doctor," Mr. Park said, "what happened?"

 The doctor's lips formed a grim line.  "Attempted suicide," he said, causing both parents to gasp, "overdose."

"B-b-but wh-why?" Mrs. Park stuttered.

"Too much pressure," Jonghyun replied, "at school. . . at home. . ."  The boy thought about all the times that Misun would smile at him and tell him she was fine.  Lies, he thought bitterly, all lies.  This had been planned.

"But. . . but I never noticed. . ." Mr. Park said in shock.

"No one would have," the doctor said, "more often than not, depression victims hide their feelings.  It's very difficult to detect signs of depression if one isn't paying close enough attention."

"I mean. . . pressure sure," Mrs. Park said, "but. . . suicide?  Isn't that a little. . ."

"Mrs. Park," the doctor said sternly, "I once told a teenage girl in the same position as your daughter the same thing that you are about to say.  I will never forget what happened after that.  She looked me straight in the eyes and said:

'You will never feel the emotions of a person going through depression, of a person that has finally decided to give up.'"

Mrs. Park stiffened at the doctor's words.  Jonghyun felt his blood boil slightly, but he kept himself under control.  He knew that Misun's mother was concerned about Misun as well.  "She'll have to be kept under a 24-hour observation," the doctor continued, "which means that she'll have to be kept overnight.  It's not mandatory for anyone to stay with her but-"

"I can," Jonghyun said automatically.  He turned towards Mr. and Mrs. Park.  "Is that okay, ajhumma?  Ajhussi?  I know you both have work tomorrow and I'd rather not have Misun be alone. . ."

Mr. and Mrs. Park glanced at each other.  "I don't see any problem," the man said.  Mrs. Park looked uncertain.

"I don't know. . ." she said hesitantly.

"It's better that it's her best friend and someone that we trust, jagiya," Mr. Park advised.  

"Oh, all right," Mrs. Park said, "but no funny business.  Am I understood?"

Before Jonghyun could respond, Mr. Park spoke once more.  This time, he addressed the doctor.  "Are. . . are we allowed to see her?" he asked.

"She's still asleep, but you can go in if you'd like," the doctor replied, "two at a time if you don't mind."  

Jonghyun restrained himself and walked towards the waiting room after telling Mr. and Mrs. Park to go see Misun.  After a few minutes, the pair exited the room.  Both of their eyes were red.  Mr. Park clapped Jonghyun on the shoulder as he passed.  "Jonghyun," he said gravely, "again, I will never be able to thank you enough for what you did.  We will always be in your debt for Misun's life.  Thank you for watching over her for tonight."

"Please," Jonghyun said gently, "Misun means a lot to me.  I would never want anything to happen to her."

Mr. Park embraced the boy without another word.  "Go see her," he said before he led his wife towards the cafeteria.  Jonghyun walked towards Misun's hospital room warily.  With a shaking hand, he opened the door.

Misun lay on the hospital bed.  She was still asleep.  Jonghyun flinched at the sight of the IV and heart monitor.  Never had he seen Misun look so. . . vulnerable.  Wordlessly, the boy walked over to the bed and sat next to it.  He held Misun's hand in his own.  Suddenly, he felt the girl stir.

The first thing Misun registered was an intense pain in her stomach, which caused her to fidget.  She cracked her eyes open to a bright light.  Am. . . Am I dead? she thought.  The feeling of pressure on her hand caused the girl to look to her side.  She found Jonghyun staring into her eyes, his fingers interwined with hers.  "Wha- what are you. . ." Misun started to say in her cracked voice, but Jonghyun interrupted her.

"You stupid, stupid, stupid, fool," Jonghyun mumbled as tears blurred his vision for the umpteenth time that day, "what were you thinking?"

Finally, the reality hit Misun.  "I. . . I didn't die?"

"No, you pabo," Jonghyun replied, bowing his head, "but you would have if I didn't. . . if I didn't come to see you. . ."

Misun's next question sent a spear straight through the boy's heart.

"Why did you save me?"

The pain in Jonghyun's eyes was unmistakeable as he looked at Misun once more.  He pressed two fingers against the girl's lips.  "Please, never ask me that question ever again," he said seriously, "you took such a dangerous decision Misun.  Why?  Why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't want to worry anyone. . ."

"Oh, so I suppose attempting to kill yourself wouldn't have worried anyone AT ALL, am I right?" Jonghyun shot back.

Misun flinched and the boy softened.  "Did you even consider what your parents would have felt if you. . . if you actually succeeded?"

Misun opened to respond, but Jonghyun spoke again.  "Did you consider what would have felt if you went through with this?"

The girl's mouth closed; she remained silent.  "I. . . I would never be able to tell you what I was going to do," she finally whispered after a few minutes of silence.

"No," Jonghyun replied gently, "because I would have never even let you consider it.  But. . . you should have been able to come to me when you were hurting.  You should have never tried to hide it."

"I-"

"And please," the boy continued, cutting Misun off, "don't tell me that you didn't want to be a burden to me, because you thinking that would be burdensome instead."

"I don't deserve to be here, Jonghyun," the girl mumbled pathetically, "I can't do anything.  I. . . I'm worthless.  A burden."

"Stop," Jonghyun replied firmly, squeezing Misun's hand tighter, "you are NOT a burden.  You don't understand, Misun.  Do you realize what you mean to your friends and family?  How important you are?  You say that you're worthless?  I've never met another person who fights as hard as you do every day.  I've never seen anyone that would laugh in the face of those trying to put her down.  Don't you see, Misun?  In your one moment of weakness, you didn't realize how strong you really are."

"Jonghyun, I. . . I can't fight anymore, okay?!  I'm tired of hearing it all!  I. . . I'm tired. . ."

The boy stood up and shifted his position so that he was now seated on the bed alongside Misun.  Careful to avoid the IV, Jonghyun gently wrapped his arms around the girl and pulled her into his embrace.  "I know," he muttered, petting her head, "I know.  But you have to do it, okay?  You're one of the few people that keeps me sane.  You can't leave me, okay?  You don't exist just for yourself.  You exist for me, too."

Jonghyun started slightly when he felt something wet on his shirt.

For the first time in her entire life, Park Misun allowed herself to cry in front of someone.

Jonghyun remained motionless, allowing the girl to let out all of her emotions onto his shirt.  He simply patted her hair from time to time, silently letting her know that everything was going to be okay.  It was another ten minutes before Misun cried herself to sleep.  The boy gently placed her head back on the hospital pillow and stood up.  It almost scared him how. . . vulnerable Misun looked to him.  Usually, she was happy, angry, or emotionless.  This was the first time Jonghyun had ever seen Misun so broken and defeated.  It hurt him.  Thoughtlessly, the boy reached into his pocket and pulled out another piece of paper.  It was his lyrics sheet.  He looked at lyrics he had written, then at Misun, then back at the paper.  Without another word, he sat down at the desk inside of the room, took a pencil, and began to write. 

It was still early morning when Misun's eyes opened again.  She panicked for a second when Jonghyun didn't appear in her line of sight, but then she heard a light snore.  Looking to her left, the girl found a knocked-out Jonghyun snoring away with his forehead resting on top of the desk next to her bed.  Pabo-yah, Misun thought, did he even sleep last night?  The girl allowed her mind to wander back to last night's events.  

That short, sleeping dinosaur had quite literally saved her life not more than a few hours ago.  He reminded her that she fought for a reason.  He reminded her of who she was.

Misun couldn't lie to herself.  She needed Jonghyun.  He was. . . important to her in a way she couldn't describe.  It was just his looks or charm, it was him.  He was her best friend, her support, her strength. . .

He was her melody.

Misun sighed as she stared at the ceiling of her hospital room.  That was an idea that she had already given up on.  If Jonghyun could only be her best friend, even if she had stronger feelings, she could live with that.  "I'm sorry for worrying you, Jjong," she mumbled.

"No need to be," Jonghyun suddenly said, causing Misun to start in surprise.

"W-weren't you sleeping?" she asked, her face heating up.

"I was," the boy said, "until I felt someone boring holes into the back of my head."

Misun blushed once more and Jonghyun smiled tenderly.  "Say, Misun," he suddenly said.

"Hm?" Misun asked, fighting to keep the blush out of her cheeks as she looked up.

"I have something to show you."

The girl looked at Jonghyun quizzically as he pulled his chair up next to her bed and pulled out his iPod.  "What are you doing. . .?" she asked suspiciously.

"Shush, and you'll see."  I'd rather do this BEFORE I lose my nerve, Misun, he thought privately.

Jonghyun pulled out his lyrics sheet, which was what he had been working on all of last night, and took a deep breath.  He looked at Misun once more, then pushed 'play' and began to sing.

Sometimes, you walk alone
You stop for a moment and take a look around
When you’re tired of the feeling of being alone
Follow me then, follow me, me, eh.

Misun's eyes widened in shock as Jonghyun sang.

You fall asleep alone again
You try hard to doze off
You close my worn out eyes
When you still can’t sleep
Because of the many, many thoughts
Follow me then, follow me, me, eh.

A small gasp left the girl's lips as she listened to the lyrics.  

A-yo, when it’s tough
Doong tah dak, lean on the rhythm, oh
With our song for you
Everyone a-yo, everyone a-yo.

A-yo, when you can’t sleep
Tap brush it off, leave it to the rhythm, oh
With the anticipation of the unfolding tomorrow
Everyone a-yo, everyone a-yo.

Misun's eyes moistened as Jonghyun looked at her with a light smile on his face.  He had composed this song specifically for her, of course.  He was glad to see that she had realized it.

Your IQ is two digits, test scores are also two digits
School rank is three digits, why in the world, why, why?
Throughout the entire day, only nagging returns
What are you doing at your desk today, why why?

Misun giggled slightly as she watched Jonghyun's hand motions and facial expressions.  Tears began slipping out of her eyes at the same time.  The boy took her hand and held it tightly as he continued singing.

During this breathless day
Even if there’s no place to rest, oh, oh
Never become weak, ah, ah
No way, no way.

Even if there’s no one
To understand your grieving heart, oh, oh
Never give up, ah, ah
Your way, your way.

A-yo, when it’s tough
Doong tah dak, lean on the rhythm, oh
With our song for you
Everyone a-yo, everyone a-yo.

A-yo, when you can’t sleep
Tap brush it off, leave it to the rhythm, oh
With the anticipation of the unfolding tomorrow
Everyone a-yo, everyone a-yo.

Person I trusted, I gave you my best
But your love that changes
Like seasons do, bye, goodbye
Saying that you don’t have time
The lies I endured every day
Pretending like I didn’t know
I believed that you return back then, back then.

A broken sob unexpectedly found its way out of Misun's throat, causing Jonghyun's hand to instinctively tighten around hers as he continued on with the song.  He looked straight into her eyes, attempting to convey all of his feelings through music alone.  The boy raised his other hand and gently swiped his thumb across Misun's cheek, wiping away the swelling tears.

Even if tears sometimes
Cover both your eyes
Never become weak, ah, ah
No way, no way.

Even if it seems there’s no end
To sleepless night, oh, oh
Never give up, ah, ah
Your way, your way.

Misun nodded silently, her tears still falling.  She had never cried this much in front of anyone before.

A-yo, when it’s tough
Doong tah dak, lean on the rhythm, oh
With our song for you
Everyone a-yo, everyone a-yo.

A-yo, when you can’t sleep
Tap brush it off, leave it to the rhythm, oh
With the anticipation of the unfolding tomorrow
Everyone a-yo, everyone a-yo.

Jonghyun allowed another smile to grace his features and he sang the next lines.

Woo~
When it’s tough, think
About who will greet you
As I wait for you to come
I’m smiling for you, hey.

Woo~
When you can’t sleep, wait
For another unfolding tomorrow
When this night passes
You’ll come to me

He gently shifted as he sang, pulling Misun into his embrace.  Still sniffling, the girl rested her head on his chest, closing her eyes and listening to the sound of Jonghyun's sweet, tender voice.

Sometimes, you walk alone
You stop for a moment and take a look around
When you’re tired of the feeling of being alone
Follow me then, follow me, me, eh.

You fall asleep alone again
You try hard to doze off
You close my worn out eyes
When you still can’t sleep
Because of the many, many thoughts
Follow me then, follow me, me, eh.

A-yo, when it’s tough
Doong tah dak
Lean on the rhythm, oh
With our song for you.

Bring it side to side, your sad tears
Side to side, all your pain
Tap, brush it off
Leave it to the rhythm, oh
Everyone a-yo, everyone a-yo.

The ending beats of the song continued to play.  Jonghyun remained silent, allowing Misun to collect herself.  He simply kept her in his arms, content with the fact that he was able to indirectly confess to his best friend.  Misun was too moved for words.  The song spoke directly to her heart.  It put all of her insecurities, her worries, and her pain on the table.  But at the same time, it gave her hope.  This was the reason Misun wasn't supposed to give up.

He was the reason. 

After a couple of minutes, the boy spoke.  "You will never be alone, Misun.  Ever.  Even if it feels like the entire world has turned against you.  Even if nothing feels like it's going right.  Don't hide it.  Cry out loud once.  Look at the mirror and shake it off.  I've cried like that before and others will have times like that too.  Cheer up.  You're not alone.  I'm here."

"I'm sorry, Jonghyun.  I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Misun repeatedly sobbed as she clung onto Jonghyun's shirt.

"Shhh," Jonghyun said softly, "it's okay.  I know you are.  We've gone through this already.  You'll be strong, right Misun?  For me?  You'll fight, won't you?  And you won't let up?  You'll be the brave person that I've come to know?"

The girl nodded quietly.

"Unfortunately," the boy sighed, "that won't be enough for me."

Misun pulled away from Jonghyun, slightly startled.  "Wh-what do you mean?" the girl asked, wiping her eyes.

"Misun," Jonghyun said, "Misun, Misun, Misun. . . how do I explain this properly?  I want. . .  I want to be the person that's always there for you.  The one person you can trust with all your heart.  The person that will be the light that shines through your darkness.  The person that you can come to whenever you're hurting.  I. . . I want to be more than a best friend to you, Park Misun."

Misun remained quiet.  In his nervous state, Jonghyun began speaking faster.  "I know this is probably horrible timing because we're in the hospital and all of this crap happened but I was planning to tell you yesterday when I came to see you but then you were in that state and I flipped out and the lyrics and the song and I probably sound like a complete idiot and you probably hate me for this and-"

"I like you, too," Misun said quietly, interrupting the boy's panic attack, "a lot."  A pink flush colored her cheeks as she spoke.

"Honestly I'm just a horrible person so we can forget this ever- wait. . . what?" Jonghyun asked in shock.

"I said 'yes' you stupid dino," Misun mumbled again, "don't make me say it a third time."

Jonghyun felt like fireworks exploded inside his chest at Misun's words.  "You'll stay with me?" he asked.  The girl nodded her assent.

"You're the reason I stuck around in the first place," she said, "but yes.  I'll stay.  I promise.  And I'll always fight.  I promise I'll never do something like this ever again.  No matter how alone I feel."

Jonghyun hugged Misun tightly.  "You're never alone, Misun.  And I will never let you feel alone ever again."

"I know," Misun said.  A smile finally appeared on her face.  One of peace and tranquility.  Of true happiness.

Jonghyun's heart soared at the sight of that smile.  "You're okay?" he asked, looking into her eyes.  He leaned in.

Misun looked Jonghyun straight in the eyes, the smile still on her face.  

"I'm fine," she replied.  And as Jonghyun's lips touched her own, she knew she wasn't lying.


Two-Shot complete :)

First thing's first:  If ANY of you have read this fic and can relate to the pain or might be going through it right now, I just want to make it clear that it doesn't HAVE to be a boyfriend that you confide in or search for to make you happy.  It could be a best friend, a sibling, or an adult.  Never hide anything.  It's a horrible habit and ends up hurting you much worse later on.

I wrote this story because I want to show readers that are silently hurting that they truly aren't alone.  Many people have gone through it before, myself included.

This is my own personal appeal to those people:  Please don't give up.  Keep fighting.  Even if you feel like everything's over, don't give in.  Don't let your inner demons win. Prove how strong you are <3  I'm here for ANYONE that needs to talk :)

Two quotes before you go:

 

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

~Albus Dumbledore

"Cry out loud once.  Look at the mirror and shake it off.  I've cried like that before and others will have times like that too.  Cheer up.  You're not alone."

~Kim Jonghyun (SHINee)

 

Please comment, subscribe, or up-vote if you'd like~  I love getting feedback on my writing ^_^  Thank you all for reading <3  

I'll be working on my other story, S.M. Spies now :P  Feel free to check it out if you'd like.  The poster for that story is in this story's foreward.  You can click on it :)  Bye bye for now, everyone <33

~AthleticShawol