Everlasting.

Everlasting.

You looked around the room. It was sunny but your vision was cloudy and hazy. You felt someone squeezing your hand and you looked down. You followed the person’s arm all the way up to their face. You didn’t recognize his face. A bit startled, you gently twisted your hand out of his grasp.

"W-who are y-you?", you asked quietly.

His jaw dropped. Shock was written all over the boy’s face…

———

After a few weeks, you started to feel a lot better. You learned that you were in an accident and had acute amnesia and that all your memories would come back soon. By now, you remembered just about everything. One thing you found strange though was the boy you first saw when you woke up. He was there everyday but didn’t say anything to you while you were surrounded by family and friends. He seemed to just linger in the corner and watch over you. Who was he?

———

Taehyung was heartbroken. He was absolutely devastated. She didn’t remember him. Even after a few weeks, she regained almost all her memories, she still looked at him with a confused expression. She still didn’t remember him. He didn’t know what to do. He was scared to approach her. He didn’t know how to approach her. He told her family about this, but he didn’t want them to worry about anything but her well being so he asked them to not bring anything about him up. Half of him wanted to know if she’d remember him again one day but the other half wanted to go up to her and give her the biggest hug and tell her how much he loved her. How much they loved each other. Maybe then it’d give her that push she needed to remember him. Her boyfriend. Was their love really that weak for her not to remember him?

———

After a few months you were fully recovered. You’d be able to go home soon. Everything was in place again. But like always, the one thing that didn’t make sense was the boy who visited every day. He talked to a few family members everyday, so he couldn’t have been a complete stranger. When you tried to ask your friends and family about him, they didn’t tell you much. It was getting a bit frustrating.

———

She’d be getting released from the hospital soon. It’s been almost a year now and she still didn’t recognize him. Maybe it’s about time he just let her go and let her live her life to the fullest, without him. It hurt too much to see her everyday knowing she didn’t know who he was. The last day she was at the hospital would be the last time he’d see her. That was his decision.

———

You grabbed your bag and looked around the room that was like your house for the past year. You felt a bit sad but relieved at the same time to finally be able to leave the hospital. You turned around to leave and ran straight into someone.

"Oh I’m sorry", you quickly apologized.

"It’s okay…", the person said.

His voice was deep and raspy. A voice you didn’t recognize. You looked up confused. It was him. It was the boy that was there every single day since you were in the hospital. He handed you a flower and a little card. Then he smiled and left. You were speechless, that was the first time he'd ever spoken to you. He smiled but it was carved with sadness. You felt bad as you looked at the boy's back as he was walking away.

"Are you ready? Let's go!", you heard your dad yell from the opposite end of the hallway.

You looked at him one last time and turned around and left.

------

You finally settled down in your room. Your eyes drifted towards the flower the boy gave you. It was an Everlasting. You felt like that was a weird flower to give someone. Out of curiosity, you pulled out your phone and looked up the meaning of an Everlasting. 

"Hmm, that's odd", you thought as you read the meaning.

You walked over and picked up the flower and note. Then it dawned on you, you never looked to see what it said. You slowly opened it, your eyes went wide as it all made sense. Tears unknowingly started forming in your eyes. The flower, the note, it all made sense. But if it made sense, how come you still didn't recognize who he was, even after all this time? Even up until this very moment? You still didn't know who he was. You broke down crying from frustration. You started knocking down things in your room while crying loudly. Your parents and a few friends came in and tried to calm you down.

"What's wrong honey!?"

"Calm down, it'll be okay". 

"Breathe, tell us what's wrong?!"

You didn't want to hear them. All you wanted to know was who he was. Why couldn't you remember him?! You covered your ears and shook your head and sobbed heavily into your dad's arms.

------

  • Everlasting (meaning): "I will never forget what we had". 
  • Note: "Take care of yourself for me".