Chapter Three

IS THIS THE END OF THE WORLD?

 

 

Blink…Blink…Blink….

It’s all dark.

Soojung just woke up but all that she can see is darkness. Where is she again? She’s trying to remember when suddenly she felt there’s something brushing against her skin. She jump scared causing for her to see twinkling little stars in her eyes.

“What the is that?!” she panic

A soft female groan beside her and there’s a little movement.

The darkness blinded her eyes so it’s hard for her to see what the heck is that thing.

Her brain just started malfunctioning, loading everything that she did yesterday. Garage, books and papers, winter, cold, bonfire, a girl….

She suddenly stopped when remember.

Oh yeah…she bumped into a girl yesterday…inside this garage…and the girl’s name? It’s Sulli? Right. It’s Sulli.

“S-Sulli?” she called out in the dark.

No answer.

Her eyes finally focused in the dark so her vision saw the silhouette of the girl on the ground. Soojung search for the garage’s door and there she found it near where she is. She open it, it make a loud noise when it went straight upward, finally letting some lights creeping inside the garage.

It’s now morning and she can’t clearly see the road because it’s a bit foggy outside.

She turn around again. The bonfire that she made last night already turned into tiny ashes. In the corner of the garage, was her backpack near the flatten box that she slept into. Then the girl that she met last night, Sulli. She was still sleeping and curled up in a ball.

Her feet bring her to the sleeping girl and she touch her forehead if her fever already subsided. Thank god, it’s finally gone.

She lit a piece of cigarette and put it between her lips before grabbing her backpack and sling it behind.

Soojung lean her back against the wall and brush her long chocolate hair using her right hand. Her stomach grumbles but she ignores it. Her mind started imagining hot meals and soup that will surely feel good inside . But of course, she can’t have it. So she just swallowed a mouthful saliva and sip the tip of her cigarette.

Her eyes observe the foggy road. She can’t go exploring when the road is full of thick mist because she will not have any idea if there’s zombie on her way. It’s much safer if she stay inside the garage and wait for it to die down.

She’s in the middle of finishing her cigarette while lost in her thoughts when Sulli woke up.

The girl sat down on the floor while rubbing her eyes. Sulli blink a few times when their eyes met each other. Soojung waited for her to say something ‘cause her brain must’ve been just started loading too.

“’Morning.” she greeted her “Want a stick of cigarette?”

It takes awhile for Sulli to answer. “N-no.”

“Then how’re you feeling?”

“I-I’m good.” She said then continue “But still cold.”

“Sorry I can’t offer you any more sweater.”

“It’s okay.” Sulli smile “You already helped me a lot last night.”

Soojung return back a smile. She cannot think of anything else to say to her because her warm smile overwhelm her, and the way her eyes light up genuinely showing that she’s very grateful of Soojung’s comfort.

Sulli stood up, fixing her scarf and bonnet. Soojung can’t believe how tall she is, making her average height look small beside a giant like her.

“And thanks for this too.” Sulli said referring to the three garments she gave them last night.

“You can have them.” she said smiling. She mean it. It’s such a good feeling knowing that someone can appreciate so much, even the little things she offers.

“Thank you so much, Soojung.” Sulli smile showing those beautiful perfect teeth.

She wave her one hand in the air. “It’s nothing.”

They then exchanged a few sentences about the weather and what happened last night. It bring out the topic about the zombies Sulli run away from the warehouse.

“So how many of them do you think?” Soojung ask, looking up at Sulli’s face.

“Based on the noise I heard, must’ve been about six to seven of them. I got so scared that I left my stuff there and that’s what I regretted the most.”

“Well, be thankful you escaped from them before they had eaten you when you’re sleeping.”

She chuckles. “Yeah. I am thankful.”

Then Sulli ask her how did she get the stuffs she has right now. And how she’s seems so chill all the time. She answer her that she managed to get them all by herself and maybe she’s just lucky because trying to survive the apocalypse is not a joke. By the last question, she told her she’s just a brave girl, that’s why. And Sulli ask her why she’s so brave, she avoided the question by asking another question right back at Sulli.

They’re in the middle of talking when Soojung noticed the fog subside already. “Oh, the fog’s gone.”

She and Sulli both look at the road. The endless snow, the dead sky, the whistling wind, the deafening silence approach them.

The reality came back hitting them like a wrecking ball. The warmth they felt for a while vanish into thin air and the coldness started wriggling inside their bodies again.

Their eyes met. Understanding each other’s fear. Sulli’s head lower and she sigh. Her arms folded on her chest.

“I need to go.”

She look up sharply at her, eyebrows furrowed. “What?”

“I can’t just stay here forever, Sulli. I need to find some foods to survive.”

Sulli just stare at her face for awhile like that. Her lips, opening but closes again like she was trying to say something. Soojung waited for her to say it, finally she did. “C-can I…can I go with you?”

How can she say no to that beautiful, innocent face? She just can’t say no when her warm eyes looking straight at her, hopeful and pleading.

Actually there’s no need for her to plead because she really will let her go with her. She’ll love to have Sulli as her company throughout this unsure journey.

“Sure.” She said, smiling at her.

Slowly, a smile formed to the tall girl’s lips too. “Thank you! Don’t worry I won’t be a burden to you.”

“I’m pretty sure you’re not, Sulli.” She goes on “So, let’s go?”

“Yeah.”

They leave the garage and walk together to the crunchy snow. Wind blowing hard to their faces.

“Whoa, it’s so cold.” Sulli hug herself while walking beside her.

“It’s been like this since last week.” Soojung put her two hands on her side pockets. Keeping her hand warm inside.

Some plastic that come from nowhere rush through the wind in their direction.

“I hope summer would come fast. Do you have any idea what day it is now?”

Soojung shake her head and chuckle. “I don’t have any idea anymore.”

Sulli’s smiling down at her. “Even our-“ her eyes caught into something. “What is that?”

She look at the direction where she’s looking at. She saw what seems like a tiny little dot that’s moving towards them. The thing is so far away but it’s coming closer to them. Soojung watch it closely.

That thing started to formed in a silhouette of a human. And it is running. Running from where they are.

She suddenly felt Sulli’s hand grip tightly to her arm.

“Why it’s coming so fast to our direction?” a scared tone came out from Sulli’s voice, so close beside her.

Soojung prepared herself. She can almost tell what is coming.

They can see clearly what that thing is now. A zombie. It’s wearing a police uniform with blood all over it. Groaning with wide eyes and decayed face and skin.

It’s running towards them. And for the first time, Soojung got goose bump all over her skin. She doesn’t have any ing idea how a zombie can run now.

How the hell it happened?!

“Soojung, let’s run!” Sulli panic and was pulling her arms. She is close to tears.

“Let’s ing kill it-“

“No, please! Let’s run!”

The zombie is getting closer. The closer it gets, the scarier it becomes. Its bones was making a breaking and scratching sound while its running faster and faster to them.

Both eyes were out from its socket and there’s something sticky, purplish that coming out from its mouth.

“Huugghhfff huggghhffff hughfffff” the way the zombie groans sounds like it’s coming from the grave.

Sulli’s both hands grip tighter and pull her all she might this time.

“RUNNNNN!!!!!”