Chapter One

IS THIS THE END OF THE WORLD?

 

 

Carrying her backpack full with canned goods, drinks in can, a box of medical kit and 4 bottles of beer, Soojung was always ready if ever a zombie attacks her.

She can always sense them coming even from afar. How? Because the places is so quiet and eerie. Even a little sound of rats scratching to the junks can be heard and she can hear her own footsteps crunching to the snow too.

Soojung bring just a few clothes with her through the journey and she forgets to bring some of her jacket because winter never crossed her mind when she thought about surviving the apocalypse. She just grab whatever her hand reached into and immediately  get out of her place.

When it started to gets cold on the 3rd quarter of November, she decided to barged in from houses to houses, hoping to get some jackets, socks, scarfs, bonnet and gloves for the winter.

And luckily she got some. Those houses she barged into were fully abandoned and kind of creepy.

She remembered, it was the third house she creeps in and she busily opening some drawers and cabinets when suddenly a tall guy ugly zombie grabs her back.

Her scream filled the whole room, she then turn around and punch the zombie straight into the face. It only groan but keep coming to her.

So Soojung pick up the nearest thing she can reached and hit the zombie many times until it’s neck break and she heard it cracked loudly.

The zombie’s face fall off from it’s body and went to the ground. The body stop walking and dropped too.

Soojung’s heart beat stop, wide-eyed. Then run her life out of that ing house. When she’s a miles away from it, she just then realized that the back of her hand were a bit slimy and smelly. Of course, when she punched the zombie to the face their skins touched. The slimy thing were colored purple and brownish and soft as poop. It’s so grossed and she find something to wipe it off of her.

 

For the past five months, she never let herself starved because that’s the only source of thing that let her live. Plus she needed to eat a lot for the energy. Just think how can she survived when she’s ing weak from starving?

Also she doesn’t want to die from the hunger but specially, never want to be bitten by a zombie and be one of them. Eating people would be such a disgusting thing for her.

“Live long, live long, live long.” Soojung chants in her mind every damn time. Although she doesn’t have any reason to live her life that long but she needs to. At least that’s what she knows that is right.

 

*****

 

Whhhhoooooshhhhhhh Whhhhhoooooshhhhhh Whhhhoooooooshhhhhhhh ~

 

The sound of the howling wind through the trees crept in the area where Soojung is in currently. She can feel the breeze of air on her face and even though she wears thick sweater and jacket, the cold still rush on her skin.

Snows were 3 inches from the ground and snowflakes keep falling from the grey sky.

It’s scary.

Knowing she’s all alone and trembling in cold.

The condition around her makes her feel more scared. Some of the apartments, stores and building’s windows were crashed. All the lights were off and she can imagined what if, in what one of the windows was someone creepily watching her.

Cars were all over the places covered in thick snows. Dried bloods on walls or ground. The place smell like . Even her own foot steps scares her.

If only she wasn’t Jung Soojung she would definitely become crazy with the situation. But because she’s different, even if she’s scared, she need to upfront her braveness and just forget the terrified feelings inside her.

“I need something warm. This cold is killing me.” A vapor of smoke comes out of as she mumble under her breath looking out for a sign of thing that can make her a little bit warm.

Crunch…crunch…crunch…

She keeps on walking looking from left to right. Eyes were sharp and body was ready from any harm that might come.

Then suddenly her sight come across to a small stand of papers, books and comics near to an empty fruit store. Her foot bring her there to grab one newspaper and read the front page. “IS THIS THE END OF THE WORLD?” it says. She read a bit but then folded it later on, thinking she can set this papers on fire to build a bonfire but she needs to find a caved place so the wind won’t kill the fire.

Since she already have a lighter with her, making fire is not a problem anymore.

Soojung left it there for awhile to find a place that she’ll making fire to. Just meters away from that bookstand was a small house with a garage. She went there and check it if the cost was clear. About ten big boxes were inside it, some of them was open and empty.

“I think this one is okay.”

She is about to walk away when she hear a rustling sound from the back of two piles of the big boxes. She forget to check that side.

Her heart beatings become faster. Soojung grab one empty bottle of beer from her backpack, will use it as her weapon.

Slowly as surely she tiptoe to check it. Preparing to saw a zombie and attack it but instead of zombie, she saw a pale girl forcing herself all she might to the side of the garage.

The girl has a scared expression on her face when she look up at Soojung but subsides after she saw her.

Like an instinct, Soojung look closely to the girl’s face if she’s really not a zombie. When she’s satisfied, she put down her weapon and look at the girl as if she was an alien. It’s been a while since the last time she saw a human so seeing one again is awkward and weird as hell for her.