ll~4~ll

Stormy night at Serendipity...

The city lights blurred past me as I made my way to god knows where. The velvety black slowly creeping into the surprisingly blue sky indicated that I have been driving aimlessly for quite some time. The honking subsided as I drove on, the buildings were replaced by large stretches of nothingness and sometimes trees. The almost empty highway with a stray motor now and then were the only companions. 

I missed this. I missed you, Evra.

I smiled fondly as I took my eyes off the road and gazed down at my faithful companion. I had to save a fortune for her and I laughed out loud when I remembered my dad's reaction when I told him about her. But he eventually had to give in after seeing how much I fell in love with her. He need not have feared, though. Unlike a lot of people, it was not the speed that I had a thrill for. Driving along alone, on an empty road with the wind grazing my hair, the feel of world going past me, the feel of her strong engine hum as I accelerate... that was what I was after. 

There was a time when all I wanted to do was travel the world with her. Evra and I, against the world. She was the best bike and travel partner I could have asked for. It felt good having no responsibilities after so long. No dinner meetings, no powerpoint presentations for the clients. I smiled again enjoying the feel of what I was doing until a familiar growl reverberated at the pit of my stomach.

I sighed and slowed down my Harley. I was well out of the city now, so there were bound to be walk in burger or some other food joints somewhere that would satiate my hunger.

Aha! Found it, I grinned to myself as I eased the bike into the parking lot of a diner off the road and jogged up the stairs into the restaurant.

 

 

Music blasted painfully loud and I sped my way to somewhere, anywhere. Junk. That's what I need now. Lot of junk to stuff myself and shut my brain.

I slammed on the breaks of my mum's Volkswagon pick up right infront of a diner. All heads turned when I barged through the flap doors. Thankfully, nobody seemed to recognize me. I scanned the already full diner for an empty seat so I can hog in peace. But damn my luck, there were none. I had a choice between the far end, where a girl seemed to be sitting alone or the table of a family of three sitting smack in the centre of the diner. 

Kids. I shuddered. I did not need the whiny, runny kids now. The lonely girl at the back it is then, I muttered to myself as I made my way towards that table. I felt the gaze of almost the entire diner on me. I smirked inwardly. Even if they donot recognize me, they could not stop staring. Nobody usually could.

I reached the table and was about to plop down opposite to the girl who was still staring at the menu, when she spoke up.

"A regular hamburger with cheese and tons and tons of fries", she said as she lifted her face to me, eyes smiling with mischief clearly thinking I was the waiter, "Oh and a serving of pancakes with a bucket of maple syrup and large unhealthy amounts of whipped cream."

"Excuse me?", I smirked, raising an eyebrow as her eyes widened in registration.

 

 

She heard footsteps coming to the table. Obviously assuming it was the waiter that came for the order, she ordered, impishly hoping that it was the cute waiter she has seen on her way in. She raised her head with the same smile but then this was not the cute waiter at all. It was him.

"Excuse me", he smirked at her, clearly enjoying this situation way too much.

"Yes?" she replied nonchalantly, trying to hide her reluctant embaressment. After all he left her hanging the last time they met. She frowned as she remembered that day. Why do I care anyway, she brushed off her thoughts as she looked up at him blankly.

She could see the playful smile on his lips waver and suddenly felt lost.

Lost? Why would you feel lost if he stops smiling? she mentally cursed herself for even thinking such nonsense.

"Sit", she said matter-of-factly and at his puzzled glance she continued, "you did want a seat, righ? So sit."

The smile was back but it was a tad bit colder now. 

Finally, the cute waiter did arrive and took their order, but she had her attention inadvertantly fixed on the tall, dark haired man sitting across her. She repeated her order and he ordered some fries, a burget and a coke.

They examined each other warily when they thought the other was not looking. Neither of them spoke till the food arrived and when it finally did, she completely forgot about the familiar stranger infront of her and dug into her pancakes. One bite in, she let out an appreciative hum.

"Desert first?" he asked her. She could see the ghost of that playful smile come back.

Inspite of herself she gave a smile and a nod, "It's my favourite part of the meal."

"Isn't it always best for the last or something along those lines?" he asked. He seemed genuinely intrigued, she thought.

"Yes, but what is point in waiting till the end when I know it's the best and it's what I want?" she posed it more like a question rather than directly answering him.

He shrugged, "So you are the type who reads the end of a book before starting it?"

She was surprised that his assumption was spot-on, but she was not going to let this stranger have the satisfaction of being right... so she pretended to think for a while and answered, "Well, it's more like I decide if the book is worth the read from the way it ends."

He just smiled and shook his head at that.

The conversation turned to books and neither of them realized how much easy it is for them to talk to each other as if they were not stangers at all.

But their banter on Hitler's Mein Kamph was interrupted when her cell phone rang. She looked side ways at the caller ID and her expression immediately changed.

 

 

It has been a long time since I could talk to someone so much... and that too about books. It was ... refreshing, in a way.

She was just arguing about how Hitler, inspite being a total racist psycho, was a brilliant leader and orator when her phone that was beside her plate started ringing. I expected her to reach out and answer it, but her whole self changed when she looked at the ID. She visibly stiffened.

"Aren't you gonna take that?" I asked even as she ignored the call and went back to her pancakes. As if on cue the mobile started ringing again. She looked at me, then her pancakes and then her phone.

She finally grabbed the phone and answered it, looking like she wished she did not. I was surprised when she did not move away to take the call, but then she started talking really fast in a language I could not place.

Ofcourse she is talking right infront of me, I can't understand jack.

I pretended to concentrate on my food but in truth I was listening to the fate-beer-hot-dog girl talking. Tao was the one who named her that when I told him on call how I keep meeting this random girl.

She sounded stressed, though I had no clue why. I could see her trying hard to keep her temper in check, maybe for my benefit or for the benefit of who ever is on the other line. 

She snapped the phone shut and I shifted my gaze to the fries when she looked at me. I tried to sneak a glance at the girl but she was staring out the window. I resumed eating my food when I heard her sigh. I looked at her again and she did not seem to realize she was biting her nails.

"Bad day?" I asked, knowing full well that I might be crossing the bounds with this complete stranger woman infront of me.

She glanced at me and shook her head, "Sort of. You would not get it."

She must have seen my expression darken at that statement because next second she asked almost as if she was trying not to laugh, "You too?"

I thought about how to answer it, "Well yea... if it was any worse I would have been tempted to jump in the Han river."

She just raised one eyebrow at that and I realized my slip. But before I could speak up she went, "If you jump into Han river, what would happen to your fan girls, fan boys and your EXO boys from another planet?"

All I could do was stare at her dumbfounded.

She looked at my face and continued as though we were discussing the quantity of salt used in the burger batter, "Well, you are good looking and everything but I'm pretty sure you would not be any use to them water logged, eh?"

"You knew who I was?" I muttered, not hiding the tone of indignance in my voice.

"Ofcourse I did. I do not live in a shell ten thousand leagues under the sea with Ariel and Sebastian, you know", she scoffed.

"Why din't you say something, then?" the underlying note of accusation was still there when I asked her that.

"You did not ask and anyway it was unlikely that I would meet you or vice a versa ever again", she shrugged without missing a bite of her food.

"But we did. Again and again", I persisted.

She looked mildly annoyed as she chewed last morsel of her food, "I was gonna say it last time but you looked like you were too busy in your own version of makjang so I did not bother. Also I am not a fan" 

I was a bit taken aback but tried to be coll and simply said, "Oh. Uh...okay. Did not know that."

"No issues", she said to me and then turned to the waiter who I had not noticed and said, "cheque please."

This, her carless nonchalance made my blood boil in frustration... why, I had no idea.

 When the waiter finally came back with the cheques I beat her to it, took out my wallet and placed a couple of bills with the cheque, including her share and the tip.

She gazed at me starngely and started giving me the money she still had in her hand but I suddenly got up.

She did not move. Instead she looked up at me and went, "Here's my share."

For some reason I could not, for the life of me fathom, I leaned across the table till I was inches away from her face. I felt her breath hitch at the sudden closeness. 

I spoke slowly in the lowest, deepest tone I could manage, making sure she could feel my every word, "You did pay for my hot dog. And I service not only my fans but my antis too."

With some satisfaction I saw her blinking once, twice... as if she were trying to gather her bearings.

Finally, she nodded. But I did not move away and she seemed incapable of turning away. I moved closer and places my lips next to her ear, she held her breath.

"So I guess I'll see you, when I see you", I whispered.

I could hear her sharp intake of breath as I placed a kiss on her cheek and walked away without turning back.

"Bastard", I heard her mutter under her breath and chucked to myself. 

 I realized then that my heart was also beating at twice its normal rate. All I could think when I got into the car was how much I hoped to see this girl again, as I knew that was exactly what she was hoping for too.

 

**************************************************************************************

Im so sorry for being a tease. Actually this chapter was supposed to be all hot and steamy but I just had to write this scene before THAT one. *ducks under a rock*

But as per the plot I have planned, this scene JUST HAD TO BE THERE!

So good news, story is extended by one chapter.

Bad news... Ya'll would need to wait till next chapter for the sauna hot love session :P (I have started wriring it and lemme tell you...it's worth the wait (and no I am NOT praising myself at all...seriously!))

But I do have an awesome idea for you guys in the mean time when you wait!...

Comment, Subscribe and Upvote...YAYYY! :P

Toodles ! <3

PS: To all the silent readers... Ya'll, just wanted to say thank you for reading! Go on doing your thang peepal!  I love you guys too! :D