Tongue Tied

Tongue Tied - Hyunjoong

It was a bright Friday afternoon, you walked into your class as you wore a short skirt with a cute pink sweater that barely covered your elbows. A gold chain hung around your neck as it was being weighted down by a golden heart. The warm sun made you feel all warm and bright as you took your seat in front of a guy that had his head down in his books.

"Annyeong" You said softly as his head lifted and his eyes went wide as you waved your hand gently before turning around as you took out your books.

— Hyungjoong’s POV —

Turning her head back around, her hair flowed over her shoulders as the pink sweater looked flawless on her. My eyes carefully scanned her, taking in her beauty, it was just like an angel, something that was too beautiful to even exist. But yet here she is, in front of me.

My eyes followed the curvature of her hair as I rested my head on the palm of my hand as I smiled at her presence

The next thing I knew, she was getting up. Looking around I saw everyone standing up and leaving as the class, my eyes look at her desk as she left her pencil on the desk. Thinking on my feet, I moved and picked it up as I tapped her shoulder. Turning around to face me, I felt my heart race and my words catch in my throat as her eyes looked at me, me.

"I-I ummm" I stuttered as I just held out my hand that held her pencil.

"Thank you" She chirpily said as the pencil slid from my fingers as she held it with care, she bowed to me before you turned around and left the classroom. Feeling a dozen butterflies being released in my stomach, I walked out of the room after everyone had left.

The beautiful, warm sun welcomed everyone outside for lunch as I tried to find a quiet spot where I could read and be by myself. Yet a girl sat under a tree as she ate her lunch in peace too. Black earphones hung on her head as she bobbed her head to the beat as she ate apple slices.

My heart began to speed up again, as I discovered that it was the same girl that sat in my class, the same one that I handed the pencil to. For once I felt shy as my hands kept shaking. The girl’s hair gently caught in the slight breeze as it blew against her neck perfectly, making her look like a model, yer better.

Taking in deep breaths I tried to calm down my heart as I wanted to come over and sit with her, but as I got up I slowly walked over to her as the bell rang. Halfway to her, she gathered her books up as she pulled the headphones from her ears as she walked right past me.

Not even giving me a glance or a chance, I turned my head and watched her walk by as I sighed and hung my head low as I walked to my next class. Throughout the rest of the day, I tried to focus on my work but everywhere I looked I just saw her, her hair, her outfit, her pencil, and her grace.

Walking home that evening, my thumbs stuck out of my pockets as I could only come up with scenarios that would have, could have happened if I didn’t fumble over my words or if my timing was right. Ruffling my hair and letting out a hiss I watched my shadow under the passing street lights as I arrived home.

Pushing open the gate, then walking up to the front door. I took off my shoes and slipped on my slippers as I walked upstairs. Throwing my backpack onto my bed, I fell into my chair as my leg hung over the arm of the chair as I tried to think of someway to speak to her without talking.

Sighing for the hundredth time, I grabbed a note pad as I tapped the of my pen on the edge. Looking around my room in frustration, I walked downstairs then outside to the porch. Sitting on the steps I looked up to the stars as I remembered for the split second that she looked at me, how her eyes glistened. 

Writing down some words I tried to make it clear. Once I finished I headed up to my room as I tried to work on my studies before school the next day.

Another beautiful day, as I sat in my chair, taking out the nicely folded note that I hand wrote for her, I saw her enter the room with her jeans and her tight fitting black t shirt as I slid the paper onto her spot before she sat down.

Sitting back in my chair, I watched her feminine hands pick up the note with care as she opened it carefully. Moving my lips to the words that I memorized as I wrote it, I watched her carefully.

You, you walked into the room
On a Friday afternoon
That’s when I saw you for the first time
And I was paralyzed
I had a million things to say
But none of them came out that day
‘Cause I was never one of those guys
That always had the best lies
Time stopped ticking
My hands keep shaking
And you don’t even know that

I try to speak, but girl you got me tongue-tied
I try to breathe but I’m frozen inside
I try to move but I’m stuck in my shoes
You got me paralyzed
I see you walking, but all you do is pass me by
Can’t even talk, cause words don’t come into my mind
I’d make a move if I had the guts to
But I’m paralyzed

Now I learned a lot from my mistake
Never let a good thing slip away
I’ve had a lot of time to look back
And my only regret is

Not telling you what I was going through
But you didn’t even know that

As the years go by I think about you all the time,
If I get the chance I hope I won’t be paralyzed, paralyzed by you.

It was a lengthy letter but I was proud of it. Turning your head slowly, her pearly white teeth opened from behind her soft pink lips as she slipped the note into her backpack as she smiled at me.

Without thinking I smiled back as she got up and moved to the empty seat beside me.

"Y-You look pretty today" I managed to squeak out as you she blushed and looked down at the hands in her lap as she looked at me again.

"You look nice too." She said with another smile as the teacher quieted everyone down before starting his lecture.

After class was over, she got up once again as I followed her, this time I beat her to the door as I held it open for her. Flashing another perfect smile my way, I smiled back as you passed through the door. Waiting for me, she stood right outside of the door as I moved to her side. My hands felt shaky once again as I tried not to look at her star-like eyes.

"W-Would you like to each lunch with me?" I managed to say as she smiled again and nodded her head. Heading over to the tree where she ate lunch before, I sat with her spreading out my jacket so that she could sit down comfortably. Pulling out my lunch, she pulled out hers as I kept stealing glances. Eventually she started up a conversation with me as we both began to open up to each other.

Even though, neither of us were popular, just two students in the same class, they had found something in each other that was unmatchable. Something that was more than magic. Yet when he saw her being herself and sitting alone, that is what he loved the most and began to fall for her more and more. His eyes were silent to her knowledge but he took a chance on something, a feeling that he had. Now, they are both very happily married all because a person decided to take a chance and adored what others failed to notice.