Chapter 4:

Pieces of Time

Saturday was rainy like the evening before it. Ravi called around 10 in the morning and I had only gotten up a few minutes before, so when he called I was half asleep. I thought that it was going to be Hyuk, but I guessed that my dongsaeng was still asleep. He’s been known to sleep late… but at the same time, so has Ravi. 


    “Hey, Hongbin. Can we hang out today?” he asked and I stopped. I wouldn’t mind hanging out with Ravi, but I promised Hyuk and I wasn’t going to back out of it now. I took a second to answer. I was thinking too hard… harder than I should have been. I decided it would be best to just hang out with the two at different times.


    “Yeah, sure. But I’m busy this morning.” I replied. I checked the time again. “Are you free around three this afternoon?” I asked the older boy.


    “I am. See you then.” he said and hung up. I washed my face and got ready before dialing Hyuk’s number. He didn’t answer. I sighed, hoping he was just asleep. I didn’t want to eat breakfast that morning since I seemed even worse than yesterday. I didn’t even know why… lately, I just felt worse and worse.

---

    
    One o’clock rolled around and Hyuk still didn’t answer my calls. I left my apartment building and decided I was going to go to Hyuk’s house and see what was up. Right as I was about to get on the local bus, my cell phone rang in my pocket. It was Hyuk. A huge smile filled my face and I walked away from the bus, ignoring people who were walking around me.


    “Hyukkie!” I spoke happily into the phone. 


    “Hongbin-hyung, sorry I missed your phone calls. I was doing some stuff. I’ve been really busy. We can hang out now, though if you want.” he explained. I pulled the phone away from my ear for a second to check what time it was and frowned. I only had two hours with Hyuk. Although I was a bit disappointed, I was happy because spending any time with Hyuk was enough. 


    The last two years of high school, I felt like I depended more on my young friend. I guessed it was because I was always alone and he was the only person who really spent the most time with me, but I didn’t notice the fact that Ravi, as well, was beginning to spend a lot more time, but I just thought it was because of his losing interest in chasing girls. Hyuk had been with me since the start, though, unlike my other friends who I had only met in high school. So, that’s what I stuck with: I hung out with him more because we’ve known each other longer. 


    “That’s okay, but I have something at three,” I almost sighed. “So, we only have two hours.” I told him.


    “That’s perfect. I have something around then too. I’ll see you soon.” and he hung up and I walked back to my apartment building. The rain had stopped but it was still cloudy out and I felt bad. I realized that I had kind of become a burden on Hyuk and was making him spend all his free time with me. I would stop that soon, since Hyuk had other friends too… not just me.


    I waited and watched some television as I waited for Hyuk to arrive. He arrived right around the time he promised, surprisingly. I was shocked when he knocked on door, as I was so used to him being late. He always gets distracted by things on the street, usually shops or food markets.


    I opened the door and the young boy bounced in, a smile spread across his face. He seemed so much happier than he did a couple days before after the little incident with Jihye and her boy minions. He threw a bag on the table and it sat there while he got his coat off. He ran over to me as I was sitting on the couch and opened the bag to reveal a box of food. 


    “I stopped on the way here. I had to run…” he laughed lightly and handed me chopsticks and the bowl of food he got for me. It was something that I eat so often but still love: Bibimbap. I thanked him, since I didn’t expect this at all. “I guess it’s kind of like a late lunch.” he smiled at me and quickly dug into his own food. We made small talk and laughed about school. I was so happy that I didn’t realize how late it had gotten when the clock struck three. I didn’t even notice the time and I don’t think Hyuk did either, since he knew I had to do something else at that time.


    Knocking sounds came from the door and we both looked up surprised, bowls scattered all over the sitting area and us looking like we had just eaten two whole horses. I blink for a second, wondering who it could be, until it hit me, “Oh my god, Ravi!” I shouted and jumped up. Hyuk helped me clean up the mess and the knocking became louder and faster. Ravi could be heard yelling my name from outside.


    “Hongbin, we need to talk!” he said eventually. I looked at the white door that led to my apartment building. Hyuk threw the dishes in my sink, apologized and ran out the door, colliding with Ravi on the way out. I watched him leave and my older friend walk in, a confused look filling his face.


    “Hey, Wonshik,” I started, calling him by his real name. I remembered that he didn’t like being called that because of Hakyeon hung’s habit of laughing at the name. I don’t think he minded it that I called him that since, we were much closer than him and Hakyeon hyung. 


    “Hongbin… can we please talk? I really need to tell you about this.” he started talking without stopping like he does. “I’m kind of scared how you’ll react but I need to get this off my chest.” he sat down on my small couch and I slowly sat beside him, becoming scared myself. What in the world could it be? 


    “What is it?” I asked. He paused, trying to find his words. I let him sit for a while. He could take as long as he wanted, I didn’t really mind. I had all the time in the world now that Hyuk was gone. His eyebrows furrowed together and he looked as he did when he was writing songs. That was the only time he looked so concentrated and suddenly, I realized it was something really important. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. I bit my lip nervously, wondering what could be so important that it was bothering him so much.


    “H-Hongbin….” he started speaking at last. I looked at him expectantly. “I think I-I… like you.”