Chapter 4- Revenge Is Sweet

My Bothersome Next-Door Neighbour

Just as I was about to eat a jumbo sized donut my sister starts screaming at me. Why is she screaming? Then I see smoke coming out of . What is happening? And suddenly I’m falling into nothingness. I hit the floor and open my eyes. It was only then I realized that it had all been a dream. But my sister was still screaming and I could smell the smoke. Is the house on fire?

I threw open the door and ran downstairs to the kitchen only to find it lost in heavy blankets of smoke.

“What happened here?” I shouted in panic.

“The cake got burned!” my sister cried.

Cake? Why is she baking a cake? Why is she of all people even in the kitchen? It would have been normal for a normal sister to be baking a cake. But my sister is in no way normal. She is so horrible at cooking that even the stray animals didn’t eat the food she left for them. She holds the world record for being the worst cook ever. Nothing she makes in edible. So why on earth is she trying to bake a cake?

I try to think up of all her friends I know. They were dumb, but not dumb enough to ask her to bake a cake. After tediously thinking for a while, I give up.

“Whose birthday is it?” I ask while looking at the horribly burnt cake.

“Mr. Lee!” she said excitedly.

I blankly stare at her.

“You know, our new neighbor” she said with a huge smile.

Then it hit me! It was that horrendous villain’s birthday! I was furious.

“Why would you make a cake for that fiend?”  I shouted.  He doesn’t deserve a cake. Not even my sister’s burnt cake.

“Because he is my teacher!” said my sister like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“So?” I shout back. I just couldn’t contain my rage.

“Misa maybe you should go back to bed. You seem tired” she said and walked out of the kitchen.

I followed her to the living room. She plopped down on the sofa and called up her friend.

“So you are gonna get the balloons right? I’ll somehow get the cake” she told her friend.

“What do you need balloons for?” I asked her.

“Duh! For the party. Oh! By the way even you are invited” she told me and went back to talking to her friend.

Balloons and cake. Slowly an idea took shape in my head. What if I take my revenge on him by embarrassing him on his birthday? He did almost kill my bike, so a little prank wouldn’t hurt. Although I did want to make him cry but then there are chances that he might zap me with those alien powers of his.

I ran up to my room and started gathering all the things I would need for my revenge. I snuck under my bed and got out my ‘box of everything’. I had all sorts of weird things in there. As I was crawling out I heard a huge bang right outside my window. The sound startled me and I hit my head against the bed. I slowly got out and ran over to my window.

Maybe someone fell down somewhere. But I couldn’t see much from my window as the neighbour’s house blocked most of my view. All I could see was his room.

 There lay that alien relaxing on his bed, his black hair messily covering his sleepy face. A laptop was placed on the bed next to him. When did he paint his hair black?

 He was surrounded by a sea of soft toys. On the walls were posters of pretty girls, cartoons but mostly him and some guy. One of the walls was covered with a painting of a beautiful evening scene. The room looked like it belonged to a ten year old kid rather than a school teacher. And in no way did it look like it belonged to that scheming bandit.

Mr. Lee was talking to someone on the laptop. The guy on the screen was flashing his teeth as he was unwrapping the many boxes that encompassed him. He opened a rectangular box and pulled out a light yellow t-shirt. He said something and smiled. I couldn’t see Mr. Lee’s reaction as his back was facing my window. Suddenly the man on the screen frowned. He was pointing at something outside the window. I looked around wondering what it was and realized he was pointing at me. I quickly ducked before Mr. Lee could see me. The last thing wanted was for Mr. Lee to think that I was peeping into his room.

I grabbed my box of supplies and crawled out of my room scared that Mr. Lee might spot me. I closed the door behind and crawled my way to the stairs while looking at the door. I don’t know why I felt that he might follow me.

“Just what are you doing Misa?” asked my Mom.

Her voice scared me so much that I threw myself to the floor and curled up into a ball. What am I doing? I peeked up at her from my position. She looked confused. I quickly sprang up and picked my box trying to at normal.

“Ah… I… um… lost my marbles” I say trying to sound normal.

“Uh-huh. Lost your marbles I see. Make sure to find them soon” she said and giggled past me.

Was losing my marbles that funny? It was then I realized what I had said.

“I didn’t mean that! I meant these marbles!” I said as I fished one out of my box to show it to her.

“Yes I know what you meant honey” she said and walked into her room.

Now my mom thinks I’m crazy all because of Mr. Lee. He is sure to feel my wrath very soon.

I run down to the kitchen and start making my exploding cake. I strap down the balloon to a square cardboard sheet with lots of tape. I add some leftover cake slices to the sides to get the perfect shape and then I smear it with white frosting cream. I finish it off by adding rainbow sprinkles. And there was my perfect cake. It looked so convincing. I carefully placed it in the fridge.

Now the next part of my plan is the hard part. I have to infiltrate the enemy’s base. But I don’t want to set foot on his territory. What if I catch his germs and become an idiot? It is simply not acceptable. But I have to somehow get inside.

Just then my sister entered into the kitchen still talking to someone on the phone. She randomly looked around the kitchen. Her wandering eyes finally fell upon the blue bowl in my hands. A frown slowly found it’s way onto her face. She cut the call and walked up to me.

“What did you do with the frosting?” she asked angrily.

“Uh… I ate it up!” I said uncertainly.

She stared at me. Then she turned and walked away. What was that for?

She came back in again and said, “Hey Misa, are you free right now? I need help with the decorations.”

“Decorations?” I ask confused.

“How could you forget Mr. Lee’s party?” she asked in an irritated voice.

 I stare at her trying to give her a look of disapproval.

She completely ignored the look and said, “Grab that box over there and come with me.”

She happily skipped out the kitchen without even bothering to see if I was following her. I look down at the box for or decoration.  The sudden turn of events hits me in the face.  This box was my key to the alien’s base. I quickly pick up the box and rush outside.

I walk past the fence that surrounded our house and followed the cobbled path to Mr. Lee’s house. It was only a few steps away. I stepped into his lawn cautiously and look in my surroundings. The lawn surprisingly was pretty!  Tiny well-trimmed bushes grew at the edges of the lawn and there were also many other variety of plants that I didn’t know of .My sister, who was already at the doorstep, pulled out a silver key from her pocket and unlocked the door.

Wait, why does my sister have the key to Mr. Lee’s house? Thief!

 Before I could open my mouth to speak, she turned back and winked at me and soon disappeared into the house. What was that for? I followed my sister into the house. 

I scanned my enemy’s territory. To my amazement, the living room was cleaner than I expected it to be! I was expecting all sorts of weapons from his planet and maybe an U.F.O parked in the middle of the room. But there were none! Oh wait, he must be hiding them somewhere so that people to find out his real identity. My sister then picks up the box that was in my hand. That box sure was heavy!

“I’ll be decorating the living room. You go get the cake” she turns away and empties the box in a corner. She sorts out all the decorations.

“Why did I even carry that box? Hey! You could have got it here yourself! Do you know how heavy that box was? “I snorted.

“Go get the cake already” my sister spoke, completely ignoring what I had just said.

Why do I even have a sister like her?

 I quickly return to my house and walk into the kitchen.  I picked up my sister’s cake and almost left the house before realizing my mistake. How could I forget my beautiful cake?

 I ran back to the kitchen and got “my” cake out of the fridge and placed my sister’s back in. I even got my ‘box of everything’ with me and ran back to Mr. Lee’s house with a huge smile on my face.

I slowly entered his house like a robber. I see that my sister is still busy with the decorations. She had put up a huge poster that read “You are our #1 Teacher!” It almost made me puke.

 I secretly tiptoe my way back to the kitchen. Luckily she doesn’t notice me. I place the cake into Mr. Lee’s refrigerator, which had almost nothing in it. Since I had a lot of time in my hands, I was curious about something. It was something I always wanted to know about but never got the chance to. As I was in Mr. Lee’s house, I decided to go see it.

While my sister was working on the decorations, I sneak up the stairs to Mr. Lee’s room. I tried to be as quiet as possible.

 At first, I hesitated to open the door, scared that some weird aliens would crawl out from under the bed. But then I opened it anyways. I held the door knob and slowly turned it. The door creaked open. I peeped into his room. I walked inside and headed towards the window.

“My room looks so tiny and cute from here!” I started fangirling over my own room. I know you must think I’m weird but I always wondered what my room looked like from Mr. Lee’s house.

“Misa where are you?” I hear my sister shout.

I quickly run down the stairs and head to the living room.

She hands over some banners to me and asks me to hang them in the kitchen.  I walk to the kitchen and throw the banners aside. I open some of the drawers of kitchen.  One of them was filled with napkins. I pull out the napkins and fill it with slimy insect toys instead. They looked so realistic that anyone would get scared on seeing them. 

I found a door that exited to the lawn. I grabbed my roll of cling foil and cut out a large piece of it. I taped the ends to it to the frame of the door.  I closed the door hiding the cling foil behind it. I quickly put up the banner that my sister had given me so that she didn’t get suspicious.

 Then I walk towards Mr. Lee’s car which was parked in the driveway. I pull out my ‘special’ stickers as I get closer to the car.

“Are you done with your work? “ asked my sister from the front porch.

Her voice startled me and I almost dropped my stickers.

“Yes, I’ll be leaving now…”  I said in an irritated voice and waited for her to go back in.

“This is for my bike” I mumbled as I put the stickers onto his white car.