Chapter 1 - Wish Upon A Star

My Bothersome Next-Door Neighbour

Why is it so cold today? Has winter started already? I wish I could hibernate like polar bears! They are so lucky. All they do is eat and sleep. I wish my life was just like that. These were my thoughts as I raced by the Maple Oak sign board. I tried to reach home as quickly as possible as I was already running late. I was supposed to be home half an hour earlier. I hope my mom doesn’t scream at me.  Anyway my name is Misa and I live in Maple Oak town.

To say that Maple Oak town is a very fun place to stay would be a lie. In fact I think it is the most boring place on earth! The place is just bursting with boringness! The trees are boring, the parks are boring, the school is boring, the super market is boring and most boring of all would be the people! Yes the people! Now where do I start? First off there are no people of my age who live in this town! All my friends live outside Maple Oak town.  The people are either off to work or are above the age of sixty. I tried speaking to this old lady once. She lives two blocks down the lane beside a bakery. All we talked about was how the weather is growing unpredictable and how ‘that’ was ruining her garden. See this is why I say this town has boring people. 

I snuck into the garage hid my bike there and ran up to my room as quickly as possible. I did this so that my sister wouldn’t see me. After reaching my room door I realized I didn’t have to worry about her finding out. She was as usual listening to songs on her headphones and chatting with her friends on her phone. I know she is weird. I don’t even know why I am related to her.

Maybe I should have gone into my room because my mom was now standing behind me and waiting for an explanation. She had followed the dirt track I left and asked me way I was so late.

“Traffic”, I said.

“There are no traffic jams in Maple Oak town”, said my mother.

“That is because no one lives here. Only boring old people live here”, I said and stuck out my tongue.

“Misa! That is not how you talk about your neighbors. They are very kind people. Today morning I spoke to an old lady who lives two blocks down the lane. We talked about the weather and about gardening. She was a very knowledgeable person. She told me all about gardening and even gave me some books she wrote! Is that not amazing!” she said and noticed the disgusted face I was making.

She told me to quickly take a bath and change into my pajamas. I did as I was told and got ready to sleep. My bed is next to the window and I had a nice view of the beautiful night sky. I always keep a lookout for shooting stars to wish upon them. My mom once read me this story to me about how a little girl wished over a star and got everything she wanted. Since then I have been looking out for shooting stars. But as usual my sister has to destroy everything for me. According to her shooting star are not stars but are infact alien space ships that have run out of fuel and were speeding towards earth to crash into it and end all live on earth. I never believed her but it still freaks me out.

Pushing all those thoughts out of my mind, I closed my tired eyes. As I was going to close my eyes something bright flashed across the sky. I quickly sat up and looked out of my window. I was shocked by what I saw. It was shooting star! I quickly closed my eyes and made a wish. By the time I opened my eyes the star had disappeared.

“I hope my wish comes true!” I said as I fell asleep.