Chapter 4

Going the Distance


Key's POV

   When I told Eve my name, her face registered mild shock for an instant, but was quickly replaced by a blank expression. So, I assumed that Christina had mentioned my name to her at some point.
   I winced as my thoughts once again turned to Christina. I didn't want to think about her. It just caused me too much pain. But with one glance at Eve, I could just tell that she was in even more pain than I was. And she was working her hardest to hide it. But I'd always been told that I was good at reading people, ever since I was little. And now was certainly no exception.
   "I'm assuming Christina mentioned me to you, and she may have mentioned something to you about our arrangement. Do you want to go somewhere so we can talk about it?" I asked, my voice as gentle and unalarming as possible. I placed a hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort her at least a little bit.
   But the instant my hand came into contact with her small shoulder, she flinched away from me. It was like she was scared of me or something. I could understand why, though. Christina had told me all about her situation with her abusive father. So I could understand her fear. But, it still made me angry. Not at her though. At her father. For hurting such a sweet, innocent little girl. For making her so afraid of the world. Eve certainly didn't do anything to deserve that. No one deserved to be treated the way she had been treated.
   And then, as if nothing had happened, she just shrugged lightly, her gaze still on the ground. I took that to mean a yes and started to lead the way outside the funeral home. As we were leaving, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a lone tear roll down Eve's cheek as she was forced to leave her best friend behind.
   I felt my own eyes glaze over with tears for a moment, but I shook my head quickly, determined not to cry in front of her. Lord knows, I cried my eyes out just a little while ago. I wasn't about to do it again. At least, not in front of anyone. Especially not Eve. I was afraid of causing her any more pain.
   We ended up standing next to my car. I glanced at her nervously, and asked, "Do you want to talk in my car? Or your car?" Another question suddenly dawned on me, "How'd you get here?"
   Her eyes flickered up to meet mine for a second and then trained themselves back on the ground. "Chris's mom drove me. I don't have a car," she said.
   I started slightly at Eve's affectionate use of Christina's favorite nickname. I tensed, but said nothing. Instead, I just nodded and replied, "Well, do you want me to drive you home after we talk?"
   She visibly tensed up at my words and I almost slapped myself. Of course she didn't want to go home. Her father ing abused her all the time! I was such an idiot to even ask her that! I was silently cursing myself as I added as an afterthought, "Or we could just go somewhere and do something. Whatever you want to do is fine with me."
   She just shrugged and I quickly unlocked the the car door and opened it for her, being as gentlemanly as possible. I could tell that she was rather fearful of getting in a car with someone that was pretty much a stranger, but she did it anyway. She seemed to have a pretty passive nature.
   She edged past me and slid into the passenger seat. I quietly shut her door and ran around to the other side and sat in the driver's seat. I angled myself to face her. The whole situation was made more awkward when she decided to just stare out the window, and empty expression on her face. I knew that I was going to have to be the one to start this conversation, no matter how hard it was.
   I nervously cleared my throat and spoke up. "So, I'm assuming Christina told you that my friends and I would be willing to let you stay with us?" It came out as more of a question than a statement and Eve gave a little nod, her gaze now focused on her fidgeting hands. I wished I could grab her hands and hold them to give her some reassurance that someday, things would be alright, but I'd already seen how she reacted to physical contact, and I really didn't want to scare her any more than she probably already was.
   I continued. "Well, we'd all really love it if you would agree to come and live with us. We'd take really good care of you," I paused for a moment, and when I got no response I added quietly, "But, ultimately, it's your choice. I'm not going to force you to come and stay with us. It's up to you."
   She finally spoke up, her voice quiet, and exhausted. It broke my heart hearing how tired and heartbroken she sounded. As if she had already given up on life.
   "I love my dad. I love him very much," she said. I felt my heart plummeting as I realized that I was about to be rejected. I hadn't actually thought that, given the choice, Eve would choose to stay with her father. The man that was making her life miserable.
   She continued, her voice getting a little bit stronger. "But, I know that Christina would really want me to go with you. She said that she trusted you with her life. And my life." Her voice broke then and more tears slid down her cheeks. I longed to reach out and wipe them away, but I didn't quite dare.
   "And as much as I hate to admit it, let alone to someone I barely know, I feel that if I were to stay with my dad, I'd probably end up eventually killing myself. Or he'd beat me to it," she said, her voice somewhat light, but her words heavy.
   I leaned forward. "Let us help you, Eve. Please. Give us a chance," I said. I just wanted this girl to be happy again.
   Her voice wavered as she replied, "But what if I don't know how? What if I can't get better? I don't know how to be happy without Christina. My Christina," She bowed her head and sobbed, her face hidden in her hands.
   Abandoning my earlier promise to not force any kind of physical contact on her, I quickly leaned forward and wrapped my arms around her, pulling her close. I felt her tense up, but she almost seemed not to notice.
   I rubbed circles on her back as I spoke, my heart ripping at the sight. "Oh dear. My dear Eve. I miss her, too. So much. Every single day," as I said this, a tear rolled down my own cheek, followed by another, and another.
   "But, though it doesn't feel like it now, in time, we'll get better. We'll learn how to see and live past this. We'll get through this together. You and I," I said, tears now flowing freely down my cheeks.
   "But, what if I can't?" Eve asked in an even smaller voice. "I gave her the best, happiest parts of me. And now she's gone. I just don't know if I can do that again."
   I didn't even know how to reply to that. So I just held her and we rocked back and forth as we cried.
   "All I know is that we have to try."

*********************************

Author's Note: Sorry for the long wait! I've been busy with school. Preparing to graduate and go to Uni.
Please upvote, comment and subscribe! xoxo