Chapter 1

Going the Distance

~~~flashback~~~

Christina's POV

   I knew I was dying. I had heard the doctors talking with my parents. I saw the endless tears running down their cheeks as they were told that there was nothing more the doctors could do for me. That I had a week, maybe less to live. The cancer had spread too far.
   And yet, somehow I wasn't afraid. I had known this was going to happen sooner or later. And I'd fought it with everything I had. For three years. Three long, torturious years. I was tired. I was done fighting it. I just wanted to be at peace. Currently, I was at home, lying in my bed, too weak to really do anything. Every breath was a struggle. The doctors had agreed to let my parents take me home. I didn't want the last thing I ever saw to be a white hospital room.
   The only reason that I'd managed to hold on for so long was because I didn't want to break my family and my friends' hearts. I wanted them to have hope that maybe I would beat this thing. I wanted to have hope, too, but I knew better.
   But, most of all, I just wanted to be there for my best friend. I knew Eve needed me. Whenever I thought of what my dying would do to her, I felt my own heart rippng itself into a billion tiny pieces.
   I was the only person that had ever shown Eve the care and love that she deserved. That she so desperately needed. Eve's life wasn't what anyone in their right minds would call good. And when I had first met her ten years ago, I had secretly sworn to myself that I would do whatever it took to give her a better life. I was only eight years old at the time, but then again, my family members had always told me that I acted like a thirty year old in a teenager's body.
   And I had been thinking about my silent promise for a long time. At first, I thought about just asking my parents to adopt her, but I knew in my heart, that they just wouldn't be able to handle having another teenager in the house. Especially one as tramautized as Eve. And I knew that Eve would hate me forever if I just decided to call the police and let them deal with it. But, all I wanted to do was to protect her in the best way that I knew how.
But, I felt like I had finally reached a suitable desicion, even if it was a bit of a stretch. I wasn't sure if Eve would go for the whole idea, seeing as she wasn't very good with strangers, but I was sure that they'd love and care for her just like I did. Only, they'd be able to do for her what I couldn't do myself. They'd be able to keep her safe.
   So, with trembling hands, I picked up my phone and slowly dialed a number I hadn't called in a very long time.
   As the dialtone played, and the phone started to ring, I found myself praying with all of my might that this person would pick up the phone. But it just kept ringing...and ringing...and ringing. But, right as I was just about to hang up in despair, a very breathless sounding person answered the phone and my spirits rose.
   "Yeoboseyo? (hello?)," Oh how I'd missed hearing that beautiful Korean voice.
   I paused, unsure of how to respond. It had been so long since I'd last spoken to him. I wondered if he'd even remember me, and all the good times we'd shared together as children.
   As I sat laid there in my bed, trying desperately to formulate some kind of response, I heard the person on the phone sigh.
   "Yeoboseyo? Igeoseun nugu? (who is this?)" He asked, sounding a bit irritated now.
   "Kibum oppa?" I asked, after finally finding my voice again. It was hard for me to even utter those words. I waited with bated breath for his response. I just hoped he wouldn't hang up on me. I didn't think he would though. He was just too kind. It wasn't in his nature to be rude.
   There was a pause. I wondered if he recognized my voice still. I didn't have to wonder for long though.
   "Christina-ah! Is that you?" He asked, still speaking his flawless Korean. But, I did notice that his voice went up a couple of octives.
   I felt a smile gracing my face. And I felt the warmth of tears pooling in my eyes.
   I found myself struggling to sit up as I replied. "Ne, it's me." My voice cracked at the end and I put my hand over my mouth, trying to force myself not to start sobbing. I hadn't realized until now just how much I'd missed him. I hadn't spoken to him since I'd been diagnosed. I'd figured that if he forgot all about me, then he wouldn't be hurt by my death. I hadn't told him about my diagnosis, either. But I was going to have to now. There was just no way around it. I needed his help.
   His voice blasted in my ear as he exclaimed, his voice full of worry, "Christina-ah! I've been worried sick about you! How come you haven't spoken to me in over three years?! Are you okay? I thought you were dead!" His voice was sounding a lot like a chipmunk now, he was so anxious.

   I swallowed before continuing. "I'm sorry that I never contacted you before, but this is really important. I really need to talk to you," I said, my voice wavering slightly. I was so scared of what his response was going to be after I told him everything that has been going on in my life the past few years. But, I knew that I needed to tell him everything.

   "Is something wrong, Christina-ah? You know you can talk to me about anything," Kibum said, sounding really worried. Still, for a moment, I hesitated.

   "Listen, Oppa, I've got something to tell you, and you're not going to like it. I really hope that you're sitting down right now," I said, already mentally preparing myself for what was about to happen.

   "What is it? You're not pregnant, are you? Oh, my God, you are aren't you? Is it a boy or a girl? Who's the father?" Kibum blathered on, completely oblivious to the real situation at hand. Still, it made laugh inside at his foolishness. I mean, he knew that I would never get pregnant until I was married - which I definently wasn't.         

   "No, Noona, I'm not pregnant," I paused for a second, before continuing on, deciding that it was just best if I told it to him like it was, "I have cancer. I've had it for three years now. The doctors have told me that I only have a few weeeks left, if that. That's why I haven't contacted you in so long. I just didn't want you to be hurt. But, I need your help with something. I need you to do something for me. It's very important," I said, the words rushing out of me of their own accord.

   It sounded like Kibum chocked. "You're dying?" That was all he managed to get out before his voice cracked over the phone, and I could hear him start to cry. Hearing him crying of course made me start crying, as well.

   "Oh, Kibum oppa, please stop crying," I managed to say, "I'm at peace with it. I won't be suffering anymore. But, I need you to pull yourself together now, because I need your help. Please, this is the only thing I'll ever askd of you again. The most important thing I've ever done," I said.

   "Anything. Anything. You name it and I'll do it, honey. I promise," He said.

   I then proceeded to tell him everything about Eve's situation. And he listened to all of it.

   "What is it you want me to do, Christina-ah?" He asked.

   I closed my eyes as I replied.

   "I want you to take care of her. I want you to promise me that you'll take care of her when I'm gone."