First Day Problems

Confessions of a Wallflower

My first day of my last year in Starship high, and I have a feeling that it's going to .

It's not that I hate school. I know that education is important if I'm going to have a good standard of living, according to my social studies teacher, and the homework are relatively 'little'. But seriously, even if I really hate school, it's still not the reason for my intense hatred for the year.

Students spent four years in Starship Highschool. At Year 2, the students are regrouped into new classes suited for their own abilities. Having an outstanding capability in Math and Science, I was placed in 3A, one of the top classes in the year 3 cohort. Consequently, though, I got separated from my good friends, Ailee, Min, Uee, Sunggyu, and maybe IU as well, and stuck to a bunch of rowdy men and gossipy girls. It's already been a year in that class, and I still don't have a good friend in there. Great...

Moreover, the pressure from that class is HUMONGOUS. Every teacher expects you to do well and get into those popular universities that everyone strives to get into to. Bora went to Seoul university as well (Super, super fortunate sister) and now my parents expect me to do well too. Someone please tell me how?!

"Hyorin dear." My mum called, turning around from the driver seat. I still don't get why drivers like to do this to talk to people. It's got to be one of the most dangerous things people could ever do in cars. What if someone suddenly lost control and drove in front of you? Honestly, when I get a car, I'm not making the same mistake. "Are ready for Year 4?" The most I could do was to give a short grunt. ​Ready? How can I be ready for this?

"Bora's already starting uni, and in such a prestigious one at that. If you're going to do well like her, better study hard. Understand?" Now THAT I really couldn't reply. I don't even want to think about it. To tell you the truth, I don't know if I even want to go to universities like this.

I'll tell you guys a secret: I love to sing. Not just the pop songs everyone listens to, I want to sing everything. Ballads, rock, blues, R&B, you name it. Except metal. It's a bit heavy for me to handle. The only person who I have openly admit this too was Sunggyu. Ah, Sunggyu. I can tell him the world and he'll still keep it a secret. "Sing then." He told me afterwards. "You're really good."

"No I'm not." I replied, turning pink at the comment. Not many people compliment my singing. Well, they can't if they haven't hear me before. I didn't like to be compared to famous singers with their impossible vocal range. 

"You are. Don't deny it. When we graduate, you should start going to all those auditions. I can be your backup dancer." He smirked at his own comment, but you have to admit, he's a good dancer too. Why is everyone so perfect?

"I don't know. Let's just study hard for our entrance exams okay?" I quickly picked up and backpack and left after that, remembering that I have cram school soon. If you're going to be an 'A' student, breaks are impossible.

"Hyorin! Hyorin! Can you hear me?" My mum called again. I frowned at the sudden break in my thoughts, before gazing at the majestic building in front of me, the words on the gold-plated sign hitting me square on the face. Oh.

"Bye mum!" I quickly shouted, getting off the car. I could had sworn I heard her say "have fun" afterwards, but that's impossible, right?

 


 

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Not the principal message! There's always the first day of school principal message. I get it if you're giving it to the Year 1 students, since they're new, but I don't need a constant reminder on what I already know. Yes, I get it. It's my last year, I should study hard, and I should make the school proud. Duh.

Sometimes, I wonder if the teachers are treating us as young adults, or five year olds.

The tapping wasn't derived from the message though. It came from the constant contact of my dark blue pen against the hard grey desk, in efforts of relieving my boredom in class. Why, you may ask. Well, it's difficult to be energetic when your homeroom teacher gives you the EXACT SAME LECTURE! As if one wasn't enough. I was glowing when the bell rang. That meant that I can leave this cage of a classroom and grab something to eat. Not to mention meet my friends again.

"Yo!" Sunggyu came, standing straight like a pencil to rub his height into me. Darn, another three centimetres taller than me.

"yeah, yeah. You're tall. I get it." I scoffed, marching ahead of him. "Don't forget who was taller in Year 1 though." Sunggyu stop momentarily in his tracks, before running ahead to catch up with me. He probably thought of something to counter that, as usual.

"Then was then, now is now. Admit it. You're jealous aren't you?"

"No. I'm hungry. Just walk!" I replied, pushing him forcefully to the front of me. He laughed, skillfully swerving out of my reach, and taking his rightful place beside me again. I could already hear the soft whispers spoken behind, picked up by my ultra-sensitive ears (the ability to hear a lot is inversely proportional to the ability to speak a lot) . It's probably the usual gossip, 'He's hanging out with her again.' 'Do you think he likes her?' 'Who is she anyway?'

Majorly ironic, guys. Majorly ironic.

Sunggyu was in my class in Year 1 and 2. Ever since I know him, he has always been that humourous, intellectual boy who does well in no matter what he tries to do. Truely, if he had chose to be more math and science based, he would easily be one of the top scorers in my class. Instead, he chose to get into 4E and take computer science and animation, hoping to be a game developer in the future. I have always envy people like him, not because he's smart or IT-savy, but knowing what he wants to do in the future. Seriously, I have already spent 18 years of my life studying, and I still don't know what to do. I could be a singer or a scientist, but can I actually choose? Anyways, I shouldn't be bothered about this now. I can do it when the entrance exams are over.

Sunggyu and I absolutely dislike that we are being marked as lovebirds. Is it that wrong for a guy to hang out with a girl? Some of the boys I know, particularly Infinite, took this rumour seriously. Being surprisingly immature, they believed that their friend's spending so much time with me, which was highly ridiculous since we only meet up in school. Besides, they drag him all over Korea after school, probably to arcades and something along that line. Never really asked Sunggyu about it. It's his business in the first place. The main thing was that Sunggyu's my friend and only my friend. End of story.

Believe it or not, but everyone in the entire Year 4 cohort thinks we're dating. And it isn't getting any better thanks to her.

"OPPA!" The loud high pitch voice echoed throughed the corridor.

Speaking of the devil.

Before any of us could make a quickly escape, a pair of slim arms warpped around his neck, pulling him into a half-hug, half strangle. I turned around, not to prevent making eye contact with the sudden intruder, but to ensure Sunggyu doesn't see me holding my breath to stop myself from laughing out loud.

IU may be annoying, but it still amusing to see the things she does to him.

IU, better known as Jieun by many others, is on the bottom of the school hierarchy chart, rock-bottom. Her social status is even lower than mine, mainly because she's hated throughout the level, rather than neglected. I have to admit, IU can be a little weird, and neither is she very fashionable (Big, circle frames, guys) nor very pretty, though sometimes I do feel that she could look a lot better without her glasses, to the point where she could really be prettier than me. Please, weirdness is not contagious. Snobbishness is.

Hence, IU always prefers hanging out with me and my gang, who don't hate her, but don't like her all that well either. She does make a good listening ear though, and like Gyu, won't tell a soul. However, I'm starting to get pretty irritated at her constant appearance when me and Sunggyu hang out. You see, she have this overly attached problem with my guy friend ever since her former attachment left school to pursue and education of a degree. Meaning, he skipped a grade. Right now, I think he pursuing a science course in the university of Korea. Again, not my business. It's fun to watch Sunggyu's uneasiness whenever IU hugs him or ruffles his hair (not joking), but it's starting to eat into the personal time that I have with him in school, and that's not cool.

Watching the two stumbled forward, with Sunggyu still desperately trying the shake the girl off his back, and IU having the time of her life on top of him, I realise how I'm going to have the spent the rest of the year like this. Wake up, go the school, get left out in everything, have friends led away by others, be bombarded with homework, and the torturous cycle repeats itself. Unless I choose to do something different, it's going to be an exact replica of last year. With this new found knowledge, there was only one logical thing that I could do.

I sighed. 

 

================================

​Again, let me emphasise that this story isn't going to be updated regularly, mainly because I'm still in the midst of my super important studies. Starting this fanfic is suicide, but this idea has been bugging me for a while, and it hates being under warps. So, if I don't seem to be updating, you can guess why. Surprisingly, this makes pretty good stress relief.