Chapter 8

The Last Soul

“Those Rascals! Why is the commander sending such high ranked ships into smooth waters?! They’re just a couple of kids messing with property. Let the police deal with them.” A man in uniform ranted loudly throwing his hands around in frustration. “We are trying hard to keep citizens safe from attack and the commander decides to throw our best soldiers out of line?! WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?!” The other men sat listening to the complaints of the soldier.

“There must be a reason.” The soldier sitting in the large armchair spoke.

“Yeah, the commander didn’t just send our best soldiers but he sent the ‘special soldiers’,” the other soldier spoke.

The first soldier, who was whining before, threw open the door to find the commander standing at the door.

“If that is what you believe you are dismissed from your position as lieutenant colonel.” He spoke.

“Sir.”

“Pack your things and say your goodbyes. I don’t need weaklings in my hands.”

“Proceed to your ships, we will return to normal order.” He turned around and left.

---

“If we demolish the souls then there will be no hope, the world will be in our hands.” A man wearing the navy uniform spoke abruptly, leaning on his hands, hovering over the round discussion table.

“But to kill a soul and not the vessel is very difficult.” A man wearing a suit spoke walking in.

“Sir.” All of the men in the room greeted.

“The souls are the reason EXO is no longer a kingdom, but a free world.”

“We shall bring your kingdom together under your rule once more.”

“King Essem.” They all said in sync and tilted their heads forward.

---

“Do you guys even know the origin of the souls?” Minseok spoke in the midst of the silence.

Never had the souls wondered about their reason on having been on Earth. It wasn’t something an average kid would think about.

“Well, I never really cared. I just acknowledged that fact that I am, or was, born with powers for a reason. I just never cared to find the reason.” Joonmyun spoke.

“Okay then, let me tell you the history of EXO and the souls.” Minseok said, getting up from his armchair.

Long ago in the kingdom of EXO, there lived a king names Essem. He loved to watch others in pain and sent an execution of any trainee. As time passed, more people were executed. The heavens decided this wasn’t the right thing to do so they sent 12 souls down to EXO, each choosing a human vessel and a power to yield. Thus the 12 souls were born. Until the soul of King Essem is abolished, the souls cannot return to the heavens. They must complete the mission.

“How come we don’t know?” Chanyeol asked, smiling with a big grin spread across his face.

“I believe one generation of souls thought they had killed the soul, but they thought wrong because we were born being vessels to the souls.” Minseok replied.

“And now the Imperial Army is after us? This doesn’t connect.” Sehun questioned.  Zitao huddled behind Sehun giving him a back-hug. Yifan glared and ignored.

“I believe the commander of the Imperial Army hosts the soul of Essem.” Yifan concluded.

“That’s why he’s coming after us!” Zitao exclaimed and flung his hands in the air, releasing Sehun. “I thought it was because of the building incident.”

“Well the police are after us for that…” Jongin added.

“We’re on the run! How fun!” Jongdae said hitting the back of Jongin’s head.

Kyungsoo dropped a glare on Jongdae. The 12 of them returned to their rooms, currently inside Wolf 88. As the others went to their rooms, Kyungsoo decided to start cooking to relieve stress and asked Jongin so stay.

---

“Did the beach not mean anything to you?” Yifan asked slamming the door behind him.

“I was tired so I leaned on him. It was only for a moment.” Zitao whined.

“Tao! You! I was standing right next to you and what do you do?!?! YOU CHOOSE LITTLE SEHUN!” Yifan’s voice started getting louder, “ARGH! Get out!” He pointed at the door facing away.

Zitao got up from the bed and walked over to the door and held the doorknob. He turned it slightly, pushed it a little, and felt a hand creep under his arms around his waist.

“Don’t ever do that again okay?” Yifan said, his head buried in Zitao’s neck.

In front of them the door was completely open now. Sehun was standing there wide-eyed with his hands in his pocket.

“I see you’re jealous.” Sehun said boastfully.

“Well, excuse you.” Yifan replied.

“I’m just kidding! Tao is all yours. He’s like a brother to me. Don’t worry about it Hyung.” Sehun said. “Well, I’d advise you to close your door just in case someone wanders into the room.”

Zitao felt a warm blanket over his face. Pink scattered on his cheeks.

“Yo, close the door Tao. You’re closer to the handle.”  Yifan said changing his tone.

“I can’t, your arms are sorta tight around me.” Zitao whispered. Yifan quickly let go and Zitao fell forward a little, taking a step forward to catch himself.

 

“Goodnight!” Sehun said walking down the halls waving without running around.