Chapter 5.2: The new kid

Why, My Love?

*Baekhyun's POV*

Being the new kid was difficult at first. I barely knew anyone. Older trainees gave me that 'who-the-heck-are-you' look. I had to eat alone and kept my jokes all to myself. But that wasn't the most difficult part of being the new kid, it was the time spent thinking of how my best friend is doing.

Most of the time, I would think about how she covers when she laughs at my jokes or the way she tucks her smooth, brown hair behind her ears and even the way she absentmindedly snuggles closer when I sing lullabies to her. I was very worried about her because I was the only friend she had. She hated communicating with other people especially those with jerky personalities. But then again, she's the nicest person I've ever met. I never heard her curse, she would still respect people even if they've managed to piss her off, and when she promises something, she stays true to it. I can't help but miss her so I call her at least once a day so I could hear her high, squeaky voice.

I usually call her at lunch because its both our free time but most of our conversations would be filled by my fangirls' screaming. Poor kid, probably can't eat lunch properly. I still call her at midnight, though. I sing lullabies to her until she falls asleep then making annoying sounds once I hear her snoring softly.

Weeks later while I was eating lunch, I looked at my watch waiting impatiently for 12:30 pm to come, our school's lunch break. The arrows on my watch indicated that the time was 12:27 and time was running really slow for me. I growled quietly to myself and hid my face in my hands.

"Is this seat taken?" a deep voice played behind me. I looked up to see it was one of the new trainees, Park Chanyeol. I stared at his tall figure for a moment while a huge smile ran across his face.

"No, it's not" I answered after a few seconds and he sat beside me. I suddenly felt small sitting next to him.

"No friends yet, huh?" he said starting to eat his jjajangmyeon. Seeing him eat reminded me of Eunhee. She loved jjajangmyeon so much that I started to miss her again. It took me 10 seconds to nod at his question.

My conversation with Chanyeol started out awkwardly but when we finished eating, we were laughing our hearts out just like any best friends would. I checked my watch to see that Eunhee's lunch break was over. I felt bad for forgetting to call her. She was already alone and I made her feel more alone so I just sent her a text message saying how sorry I was for not being able to call her. She completely understood but her reply was quite cold.

For the next few days, Chanyeol joined me for lunch and I also grew close to other trainees like Huang ZiTao and Kim Jongdae. Most of the time, I couldn't call Eunhee because I was always with them. Sometimes, I'm scared of calling her because she might be mad at me or give me the cold shoulder. This fear conquered me until I completely stopped calling her.

After three years of training, a group called EXO was formed by SM and I was included in it along with 11 more boys. The group was divided into two subgroups: the singers and dancers. We were guests in a lot of variety shows, performed in live performances, and won some awards too.

I was happy because I'm finally living my dream but my best friend wasn't there to cheer me on and knowing that made me feel alone. Yes, I had Chanyeol and the other members but Eunhee's presence was different. Unlike the other members, she can already make me smile just by seeing her face. I hope wherever she is right now, she can see me living my dream and she smiles she sees me on TV.

On our first concert in Korea, the arena was filled with numbers of fans I never imagined. After the 2 hour event, it was time to meet the fans who bought VIP tickets. The most unusual thing happened...