Chapter 4: Going Different Paths

Why, My Love?

*Eunhee's POV*

 

Once again, I woke up to the sound of the birds' chirping outside my room but this time, I felt less happy. I turned to my bedroom floor to see nothing. Well, saw no one. He was too busy gathering his things for the dorm. Maybe I'm just overreacting. Maybe I'm being too selfish. It's not that I'm not happy for him but what if he forgets all about me? I know I saw him more than a friend and the fact that we'll never share the same feeling broke my heart even more. I know he'll never like me back, that's why our friendship is the most important thing to me. I might not be the girl he'll say "I do" to, but I'd love to be the one he can go to when life is being cruel to him.

A knock on my door knocked me out of my thoughts. I snapped my pink beanie on once again and walked towards my door. I turned the knob and pulled it open. I saw my best friend dressed up neatly carrying a bag on his back and a baggage in his right hand. The silence between us was rather awkward. He gave me a sad smile.

"Hey..." he whispered loud enough for me to hear "I didn't want to wake you but I'm leaving in a few minutes so I wanted to see you before I leave." he cleared his throat.

"oh..." I answered quietly too "take care of yourself, okay?" I continued, looking down on my feet.

"Yeah, I will" he cleared his throat once more "I want to give you something just to make sure you won't forget me" he said then started digging inside his bag.

My eyes widened when he pulled his most precious possession out of his bag. It was his giraffe plush toy, Raffy. That was the most precious thing in his life.

I still remember when we were kids, he let me play with all of his toys except for that. He never really told me why, but his mother said it was from his father before he left. He always treasured it and if he was going to give it to me, I will cherish it more than anyone could.

He held it for a while in his hands, looking at it dearly as if it was a diamond. He then looked up at me, his eyes starting to get puffy.

"You don't really have to.." I said with a smile "I know that's very special to you."

"That's why I'm giving it to you" a sad smile grew on his face "because you are as special as Raffy is to me."

My eyes started to tear up. I tried holding myself back from crying but I failed. Soon enough, I found my cheeks covered with my tears. He handed me Raffy over and I embraced it in my arms. Baekhyun smiled at me then hugged me tightly.

"Don't forget me dongsaeng..." he said. I nodded shakily onto his shoulder.

"I love you kid.." he whispered "you're the best little sister anyone could ask for."

Then that's when it hit me. The last few words he said broke my shattered heart even more. And that's when I realized I really did see him more than a brother. But to his eyes, I was just his little sister to him and nothing more.

I suddenly pulled away from our hug and we both walked to the front yard to see Baek's brother inside the car waiting for him. I kept Raffy close to me but saying completely nothing. Baek planted a kiss on my forehead and smiled at me.

Once he got inside his brother's car, we both waved goodbye to each other. And probably....

Our last goodbye.