Part lll: Tomorrow

The Last Tomorrow
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first snow starts falling when the car pulls over, Yixing and Joonmyeon's steps out to see a heart warming sight, despite the cold day. The soft rays of sunlight poured down generously from the sun as the snow flitted its way down gently. The brothers instinctively raised their hands to capture the snowflakes, but to their disappointment, the flakes disappear once they land on their palms.

The both of them chortle as if nothing was wrong and started walking, a good hundred meters without talking. Yixing and Joonmyeon's knuckles came in contact as their hands swung lightly side by side, their shoulders bumped. They stared ahead, knowing the silence between them could tell more than their words could. They understood each other.

Turning sharply, the two of them stumbles upon a park. The snow was still falling, Yixing leads the way, his hand clutching onto his brother's hand, tugging him gently. Joonmyeon smiles and follows.

In the middle of the park, there was a small clearing. An old man was sitting there, sketching. Sketching the falling snow, frozen trees. Their curiosity piqued and they ran over like little kids. "Grandfather, what are you doing?" Yixing piped up, flashing a brilliant smile at the old man.  The grandfather spun around and gave them a wrinkly grin, his wise eyes travelled to their linked hands and back to their faces.

"Oh my, what are the two of you doing out here on such a cold day?"

"We are just taking a walk."

The grandfather nods and turns back to his picture, staring at it for a moment. He felt something was missing from the picture. It felt empty, the lack of warmth and love in the drawing. He turns back and asked the brothers for a request. "Can you two become my models?"

•••

Their backs cracked and shoulders stretched. They stood up stiffly and shuffled over to the grandfather who was smiling so brightly at the picture, nodding approvingly at the complete drawing. "How is it, grandfather?" Joonmyeon asks enthusiastically. The grandfather just handed the drawing over to him.

"I'm giving it to you."

The brothers’ eyes widen as they stared at the grandfather then the picture. "Thank you." Was all they were able to whisper.

The old man nods before packing up his things and walking away.  Before disappearing from their side the man turned around and waved at them," I hope to see you two again." And he walked on, turning sharply, he disappeared from their sight. The two of them watch the retreating back of the old man and turns back to the picture.

The picture of them.

•••

Yixing played with Joonmyeon's snapback, spinning and fiddling with it as they sat under the bright moonlight in the clearing, on a mat. It had stopped snowing for a short moment. "Hyung." Yixing calls again. Joonmyeon hummed a reply and kept staring at the stars which twinkled brightly, but there seemed to be a hint of sadness in their brilliance.

"Wouldn't it be nice if this went on forever?" Yixing asks. Joonmyeon eyes flashed at him, suddenly sitting up he grabs Yixing shoulders, pushing him backwards onto the mat and the two of them stumbles. Joonmyeon stares hard at his brother, feeling his protective shell shatter bit by bit, showing his vulnerability and the tears suddenly pours out from his eyes to Yixing's face.

Yixing stares wide eye at his brother, squirming to avoid the falling tears which splattered on his face. "W-why are you crying, hyung?" Yixing asks clueless, not knowing how much of an effect his question had on his brother.

Joonmyeon continues," I don't have forever. We have no forever. I am not even sure if I have another tomorrow. We are running out of time now, Yixing." The younger's half lidded eyes flew open with realization and Joonmyeon drops his head to bury into the crook of Yixing's neck. Inhaling and exhaling heavily, Joonmyeon calms down and slumps against his brother.

Yixing's wet, long lashes brushes against his face as he breathed heavily, inhaling the lavender scent of the detergent his brother had always used. His body went rigid and placed a hand on his brother's back, it gently.

"S-shh, hyung. Don't c-cry." Yixing choked, staring at the night sky, and the snow starts falling again.

•••

Joonmyeon was admitted to a private hospital a few days later, his condition took a turn for the worst. His lips chapped dry and bled, dark eye rings surfaced deeply, cheekbones protruding out slightly, as if threatening to break through his papery skin. His complexion paled greatly, making it seem translucent under the bright lights of the hospital lamps.

He sighed while eyeing the tubes which stuck under his skin. "Do you really have to do this?" Joonmyeon seethed at the doctor," I really don't need Yixing looking at all these." He gestures to the tubes and drips. The doctor just inhaled heavily," Well, that is the result of you refusing to eat properly." Joonmyeon's eyelid twitched, not trying to argue any further.

The old doctor scribbled a few more things on his clipboard before tapping on it," I need to go now. I need to schedule your surgery soon; professors from the Switzerland and USA will be flying over." Joonmyeon's breath hitched and he scowls," How much do I have to pay?" The man shook his head," They just want to save a valuable life. That's all Joonmyeon."

Joonmyeon just simply rolled his eyes at the doctor. The old man shook his head and walked out of the door.

•••

Yixing visited the hospital every day; the media had caught the wind about Joonmyeon being diagnosed with agnosia amnesia. Paparazzi camped in front of their house, company and hospital. It was hard for Yixing to travel around and on some days he would just get Minseok to send some clothes over to the hospital so he could accompany Joonmyeon.

"Irritating people. Can't they just give you a break?" Yixing scoffs harshly as he walked away from the window. Joonmyeon just gave him a lope sided smile and shrugged. Yixing's head tilted and he wondered out loud," Who told the media anyway?"

Joonmyeon purses his lips," I did." Yixing stares at his brother," What? Why would you do that?" Joonmyeon just laughs, his body shaking," The people need a warning Yixing. A warning."

"What warning?"

Joonmyeon smiles vaguely," The people need a warning, so they would be prepared when you take over the company, silly boy." Yixing takes a moment to comprehend what his brother had just told him and his face darkens," You are not going to die, hyung."

Joonmyeon's lips twitched into an amused smile, he sat up slowly. "Yixing, like I said before, we have no forever." The younger's mouth drops slightly in disbelief," So you are saying you are just going to give up? I won't let you." Joonmyeon shook his head and grips his hands against the cold bed rails," The heavens have been very kind to me, Yixing. My time is-"

 Yixing's temper flared and simply cut Joonmyeon off," You are going for the surgery and come out as whole person again. You are not going to die." Joonmyeon sighed heavily as he moved off the bed, trying to make his way towards Yixing.

"My time is up, Yixing. The heavens have been really kind to me. Especially that year when I was involved in the car accident which killed our parents and nearly paralyzed me. The gods could have just taken my life then and there. 23 years is enough Yixing, more than enough. I don't want to act selfish." Joonmyeon rubs the sides of his brother's arms, trying to soothe fuming Yixing.

But the other just simply steps away from Joonmyeon and glared angrily, not saying a single word. The older just went back to the bed and sat down, before starting his speech again," You know Yixing; I was once told that every person has a clock. Some clocks go fast, and some goes slow. We are all given a time span, and it is up to us on how to spend it."

"Since I was 16, I had spent the remaining time of my life, angry and sad. Cursing every living being that was happier than me. I cursed you too, because you were happy, and I am sorry. But, it all comes down to this matter. Our clocks are set by the heavens, whether fast or slow. And mine happens to be a tad bit faster than yours. But, I am glad that I lived till the age of 23 rather than 16. Do you get what I am saying Yixing?"

Yixing doesn't say a word, his mouth agape and a furious frame seemed to be etched into his features for good. He simply grabs his bag and coat, stalking out of the room, out of the hospital.  Joonmyeon bit his lower lip as he watched from his window, the blinding camera lights and noisy buzz of the nosy media surrounded Yixing who was escorted by the bodyguards to the car.

He watches till the car drove away and the chaos died down, exhaling heavily, he sat down on the bed.

"My clock is running fast, Yixing. Come back... We don't have much time left." Joonmyeon said words that Yixing would never be able to capture.

There was something the both of them did not realize. The cold and indifferent Joonmyeon would have never given into fate, but the original gentle and kind Joonmyeon would.

•••

"Strike!"

It was summer, the sun scalded the ground with its strong rays and down on Yixing’s neck.  His hands clenched around the grip hard as he bit his lower lip harshly, making it slight bruised. A frown was visible on his forehead, beads of perspiration trickles down the sides of his face as his brown locks were tousled. He tries to focus his gaze at the pitcher. Breathing rhythmically, he steadied himself while trying to ignore the insulting yells from his displeased coach.

The pitcher readies as he brought the ball into his glove, taking a sharp breath, he tosses the ball in the direction of his batter and Yixing brought down the bat.  Crack. The bat came in contact with the ball, Yixing swung hard and the ball flew far. A home run was scored within a matter of seconds.

The crowd jumped and howled, cheering their lungs out.

Yixing grinned as he jogged around the diamond, each step showed his satisfaction, and ignored the jealous glowers that were sent in his direction from the opposing team. Stepping on every base, he finally reaches home. Smiling at the audience who sat behind the fence, he waved at a familiar figure that nods back and jerks his chin, trying to tell Yixing to focus on the game.

Yixing laughs and wipes off the perspiration, leaving traces of black marks on his forehead. Joonmyeon chuckles inwardly as he watches his clueless brother gulp down half a gallon of water in one shot and no one seem to bother telling Yixing he had dirt marks on his face.

Joonmyeon nearly chortles and shakes his head. The game went by quickly, Yixing played first base. Striking out most of the players, and his brother was awed by his alertness. Although half the time Yixing looks dazed and sleepy, he was actually a very observant and sharp person. The game somehow ended up 18-7, in favour of Yixing's team.

Yixing was 14, Joonmyeon was 16 and this memory, sadly, was forgotten by both.

•••

Yixing couldn't stay mad at Joonmyeon for very long. He eventually came back running to Joonmyeon in tears, and the older laughed, teasing Yixing whenever he could.

Now, the two were taking a walk in the park, located within the premises of the hospital. The paparazzi got tired of waiting and eventually gave up. The brothers sighed in relief when they saw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter