Christmas

Lonely

Christmas. It was that time of the year again. Well, it sure to be alone on the eve of Christmas, in one of the most beautiful cities, Seoul. Bright neon lights lighted up the streets vibrantly. The once lonely streets get flooded again with crowds of loving couples and people in winter wear. Scented candles in almost every shop, Christmas trees to be seen in every household and of course, not forgetting the presents below them, waiting for eager and curious children to unwrap them. Yet, there’s me, nowhere to fit into the whole festive mood.

“Another lonely Christmas…” I thought to myself while strolling along the bustling streets.

Couples were seen everywhere with locked arms, in couple-matching beanies. People were with friends, laughing and smiling away while enjoying the marvelous sight of snow.

I was wandering along the busy streets that night, in search of ornaments for my dull Christmas tree. Shoving my hands into the pockets of my mocha-coloured parka, I dragged my lonesome body into a shop that I found round the corner of a street. What attracted me to it was how empty it was. I hated crowds and the noise. Stepping my foot into the carpeted floor of the store, my nose could capture a whiff of perfume, probably from Chanel.

My eyes roamed around the store, tracing the scent to its owner. They landed on a petite figure with messily tossed bleached hair and geeky glasses on, it was a male. My heart skipped a beat. He reeked of perfume and I…like it. I walked closer towards him, as though I was hypnotized to. I stood beside him and pretended to be looking at some of the decorations while throwing him occasional glances.

I prayed that he hadn’t noticed me.

“The red one looks better. In case you’re wondering, of course.” He turned around and looked at me.

Crap. What to do now? Should I run away? I gulped before looking back at him. His hazel eyes gazed deeply into mine.

“W-well, how impolite of you to stare!” I almost yelled.

“How could I not when you were the one staring?” He cleared his throat.

My face flustered into a deep shade of red.

“Whatever, I’m sorry. Thank you!” I swiftly placed back the other bauble I was holding and grabbed a handful of the red ones before making a dash towards the cashier.

“Hey! Wait up! How about some coffee? My treat.” He offered.

I was sure a fool if I declined free coffee on a chilly Winter evening. Silently, I followed him behind. I took time to observe him again. He was flawless and most importantly, beautiful.

“We’re here. Welcome to my favourite coffee place,” He turned around, suddenly, leaving me no time to recover from shock.

“What’s wrong?” He frowned.

I blinked.

“H-huh? Ah…nothing. Let’s go,” I flashed an assuring smile and ran into the store.

It was empty. I liked it. I disliked crowds because I was a lonely person.

“You forgot to wait for me, again.” He sulked before beaming at me.

Lonely?

 

Not anymore.