They Meet

A Game of Fate

He missed her! He loved her! No reason for him to lie to himself. He had suffered emotionally. He had been suppressing himself for a long time. This time, he has to make a move. He badly wanted to talk to her. He wanted to apologize. He longed to hug her. His chest pounded and he can hardly breathe. He calmed himself and gathered his guts. He was about to step out of the car when Seung Hyun popped out in front of him.

“Hyung, you’re back?!” There was remorse in his voice. He wanted to tell him about it but he already proceeded to the driver’s seat and drove away.

“I saw her.” Jiyong voiced out in a low tone. There was regret but he himself wasn’t sure if what exactly is he going to tell.

“Oh.”

 

Seung Hyun focused in driving. He didn’t even look at his side. He witnessed Jiyong’s grief though he doesn’t show it most of the time. He’s good in pretending but he can’t lie nor hide the sorrow in his eyes. He knew, Jiyong was falling for her the moment she left. He would’ve not acted strangely like that if there was nothing going on inside him.

“So, how was it seeing her again … for like a year?” Seung Hyun glanced at him.

“She looked different. She changed.” He wanted to scream what’s inside him but he chose to stay footed.

“Yeah … Anything more in mind?” Seung Hyun tried to make him confess.

“Uhm … not too much …erm …” he stuttered. Seung Hyun suppressed a laugh. It didn’t escape from his ears.

“What’s funny hyung?

“You don’t have to hide it bro, I know everything. You like her, right.”

Jiyong was lost in words. He was caught off guard. He didn’t expect to hear those from his friend. He didn’t know that he was that transparent in front of him. He thought of denying it for like a second ago but his mind went blurred. All he did was a nod.

“So what are your plans for now?” he asked when he saw him dropped his jaw. Seung Hyun felt right already because he had done a move to lessen his guilt.

“Back to the basics?” Jiyong answered him undecided.

**********

It took them a month to come up for a good idea. A month was quite long but there could be no other way to make it realistic. Jiyong wasn’t that obsessed anymore to see her. He had been following her for weeks. He was like a stalker hiding inside the car. He took pictures of her too while she was walking on the streets. He even followed her to her office. She was not aware of it all.

She got to work with Seung Hyun. He was persistent that she should pursue her career. Though she was diffident at first, she managed to agree with him since she loved her craft.

**********

She knocked at the tinted glass door of Seung Hyun’s office. She’s not doing it often but she did it this time. His secretary outside told her that he got a visitor and she was giggling when she said that. Dara doesn’t want to appear rude so she knocked first. She pushed the door gently and let herself in.

Seung Hyun looked up at her with something in his eyes. She didn’t get it so she stared at him blankly. She was sure that his visitor was their client. Seung Hyun mentioned to her before that he got a friend who wanted to build a rest house by the beach and that he wanted them to work on it.

Seung Hyun’s an architect. He was the one who forced Dara to pursue her career. She decided to take the licensure exam. She’s an engineer now. Perfect combination right? They were partner. It’s not hard for them working together since they’re close before then.

The man was sitting on the chair opposite Seung Hyun with his back facing her. His build looked familiar.

“Good morning.” She greeted both of them. Seung Hyun stood up with the same look.

“Good morning!” The other man greeted back turning his face to her when he felt her presence.

Her chest pounded when she saw him inside. She’s not sure if it’s fate or coincidence. For a long time, they meet again. It’s been a year since she last saw his face. Though he appeared on TV, he looked different in person. He was still good-looking. He became more masculine.

She let herself calm. She should treat him nicely coz it’s part of the job. She took a deep breathe first.

She bowed at him. He was smiling. Dara was speechless for a moment. She doesn’t know what to say. Then, she snapped back. She should be acting normally like what she had written on the note.

“So you’re the new client? Nice to meet you … again.”

“I’m glad to see you.”

She laid the papers she was holding on the table. She tossed her head to clear the memories from her mind. She wanted to make herself invisible at that moment. She wanted to go home. She doesn’t want to face him anymore. As much as possible, she wanted to be away from him.

She turned to Seung Hyun. She now understood that look. It was like sorry-for-not-telling. She was disappointed. But then, Seung Hyun was too nice and she can’t make herself mad at him.

She took a sit beside Seung Hyun, opposite Jiyong. She didn’t meet his eyes. It was glued on the papers filed in front of them. Jiyong was staring at her intently. She felt like melting. She can’t seem to look up and can’t even concentrate. She sat back and acted like she’s oblivious of it all but nothing seemed to be working.

She can’t take it anymore. She excused herself and went to the ladies room. There, she released her tension. She sprinkled water on her face and looked at herself in the mirror. She doesn’t feel right. ‘Why do I have to feel this way?’ She kept on asking herself.

Seung Hyun followed her. He saw her went into the ladies room. He waited outside. Five minutes passed and she didn’t come out. Ten minutes … fifteen … twenty-five … still no Dara popped of the door. He got worried. When he felt that something was wrong, he knocked at the door. Nobody answered.

“Dara? Are you still there?” he asked but it was silent.

“Are you okay?!”

He pushed the door and saw her sitting on the edge. She was clutching her head. Tears were rolling down in her cheeks. She was sobbing silently. He can hear her gasped clearly now. He walked towards her and stood low with his knees.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it this way. I thought-----”

“I’m fine, oppa … I just can’t help myself. Don’t worry about me.” she said in between sobs.

“Are you sure?” He pulled her up and hugged her. He wanted to comfort her and make her feel that he’s there to ease the pain away. She stood up and feigned a smile. “It’s not your fault … I was just overacting, I guess.”

“No. I’m liable to it.”

She faced him and wiped her tears. “I’m fine now, oppa. I just want a little time for myself.”

“Okay. I’ll get your things then. I don’t want anyone to see you here in that state.” He turned his back and went out. He paced slowly towards his office thinking what had happened. He should’ve pushed that idea. If only his friend wasn’t that desperate, he could have thought of some better ways.

He turned the knob of his office’s door. Jiyong was still there, fixed to where he sat. His head was hung low. When he felt his presence, he looked up.

“What happened, hyung? Is she okay?” Jiyong asked bothered.

Seung Hyun shook his head. “Not a good start.”

He packed her things and brought her bag to her. Her eyes were puffy. He handed her her stuffs and walked her towards the lift. “Should I drive you home?” he offered.

“No. I can manage. Thanks oppa.”

Dara went home. She proceeded to her room and buried herself into the cushion. She didn’t mind Young Bae who was at the living room watching ‘Sponge bob’. She let out all her emotions, her anger. She punched the pillows and cried so hard. ‘Why again? I have moved on already … Why are things are so complicated to me?’ she thought. She had forgotten the pain and doesn’t want to go through such an unfair situation anymore. And now, Jiyong is back. What was it again that she should endure?

**********

She opened her eyes when she felt someone was caressing her face. Her tears had dried up. “Good morning.”

“Oppa …”

“You didn’t eat last night. What’s wrong?” His voice was so gentle that she gave him a sweet morning smile.

Her face then turned sad. “I met him, oppa …. I’ve met Jiyong yesterday.”

Young Bae showed her his infamous smile. “Really? So how was your meeting?”

“It was unexpected. Seung Hyun oppa could have planned about it.”

“Are you mad at him?”

“No. He’s too nice to me.”

“How about Jiyong?”

“I don’t know. I can’t understand myself. I ran away. I can’t keep his stares.”

Young Bae knew it all along. Seung Hyun had told him about it before. He wanted also to help Jiyong but he didn’t assure him of what might happen. Jiyong was deeply fallen to her and he was glad about that.

“Don’t worry my princess. It’ll be over soon. Just don’t push yourself too much. Things are going to be fine.”

“What do you mean?”

“Breakfast is ready. Wash up now … I’ll wait you outside.” He messed her hair and left.