The Connection

A Game of Fate

One of the most sought after bachelors in South Korea, handsome, rich and famous, that’s Kwon Jiyong aka G Dragon. Successful. Everyone looked up to him. He got the biggest name in the entertainment industry. He’s known for his wits and talent. Gentleman … caring … loving … responsible.   He’s perfect in the eyes of everyone. He got the face and the look that whoever may see him could probably tell that he worries nothing, that he got a perfect life.

He lived with the spotlight. He has to live the path that he had chosen. He never had a simple life. It’s always complicated. He needs to show them a cheerful face every time he’s on the limelight. He has to live the way others would want him to be. He never did decide for himself … it’s always them.

He got a mansion, luxury cars, jewelries and all of the expensive stuffs. He got it all. He got everything anyone would want in life. Girls were drooling over him. What more could they ask for if someone like G Dragon would be them.

**********

It’s been a year. It’s been a long, dreadful year of his life that had passed. He was busy with his career. Making money … having concerts … shows overseas … etc.

It’s been a year for him living in hell. No one noticed it, actually. No one knew that he’s living by himself alone. All alone in his huge mansion. Though he hired housekeepers, they didn’t stay in his house long. After the cleaning and the chores, he let them left. Nobody stayed with him at night. Weird, right? He became like that.

He got sick of people’s attention. He got pissed off by people’s praises. But all of it can’t be seen on him. He was full of pretense in front of the camera.

His mother came to visit him sometimes. She doesn’t worry at him too much since Jiyong always shows her a beaming smile. The old woman often prepared meals and brought it to him whenever she had time. She wondered too on why she didn’t see anyone around his house but Jiyong got a bunch of alibis saved for her.

All by himself in the cold nights, gasping his hand for something to hold on to but found no one. He’s been longing. It’s been a year that he didn’t meet any girl nor went out with.  Cold wind touched his heart. The unforgettable events that happened in the past months keep on haunting him. He just smiled bitterly at his weird acts back then.

Flashback

t was gloomy that afternoon. The sky was dark and just by looking at it you can surely tell that it will bring heavy rain. Few flashes of lightning can be seen on the horizon. Jiyong was sitting on the balcony with bottles of beers around him. He had been worrying about Dara. He doesn’t know where she was. After weeks of looking for her desperately, still no updates. He got no choice but to just stuck and drowned himself with alcohol.

“Jiyong-ah, you’ve drunk a lot. Stop it!  It’s not good for you.” Seung Hyun who was with him restrained him from drinking too much.

“Don’t worry about me, hyung. I’m fine. I just can’t make myself calm. I’m to be blame if something will happen to her.” he relayed.

Seung Hyun just took a deep heavy sigh. He too was worried about Dara. “Don’t blame yourself. Nothing is going to happen. I know her well. She’s just unwinding.”

Jiyong stared at him for a moment hen gulped the remaining liquid in the bottle. “Are you sure about it?”

“About her unwinding, yeah … But not so sure of what might happen.”

“See?” Jiyong blurted.

“Yeah, I know what you meant. My point is, just restrain yourself from drinking too much. It’ll cause no good to you.”

“Ok, hyung. I’ll just finish this up.” he said taking the last bottle.

“Alright.” Seung Hyun didn’t let him finish the bottle. He grabbed it from his hand and poured the content over the balcony. “Don’t make any bad move or I will throw you here next.” Seung Hyun warned him with a playful smirk on his face.

Jiyong raised both of his hands with palms facing at his friend. He twitched his lips and left him.

“Fool!” Seung Hyun fired at his stubbornness.

End of flashback.

Seung Hyun was the only one who understood him totally. His best friend. Thinking about him, he took his phone and dialed his number. It ringed but he’s not picking up. He waited for like 3 minutes before he heard a voice on the other line.

“Hello hyung. Are you busy today?” he asked casually.

“Not really.” Seung Hyun on the other line answerd.

“Let’s have a drink tonight. I’ll wait you here.” he said then flipped off his phone. He didn’t wait for him to refuse. He knew, Seung Hyun would definitely turn down his offer. Though the latter has a high tolerance of alcohol, he knew his limits.

*********

Seung Hyun was at his office. He was just done finalizing the plans when his phone vibrated. He looked at the screen and found out that it was Jiyong. He was undecided if he should pick it up though it was his best friend. He’s sure about the reason of his call. When the caller was persistent, he did answer it.

“Hello.”

“Hello hyung. Are you busy today?”

“Not really , I …” he wasn’t able to finish his line. His friend quickly declared what he want and cut the line off.

“Aisht …”

He packed his things and readied himself to leave. He knew exactly that his friend was bothered again. It’s been a year already. How come he hasn’t forgotten everything yet? Well, as of him, he already knew Dara’s whereabouts.

Flashback

He was walking along the street, busy talking to someone on his phone. He’s voice was high and you could tell that he’s yelling. He’s mad at someone. The reason behind was the rescheduling of the signing of the contract of their proposed project. His eyes were fierce. Everyone around just looked at him and gave way like they’re afraid and they understood him.

While he was being comforted by someone on the other line, someone bumped at him causing his phone to fall. It fell into pieces.

“Damn it!” he cursed in the wind and bent to pick it up. He’s totally mad at that moment. And it was raised up when that someone didn’t even say anything, just turned and walked away.

He looked up and just found the back of that someone already meters away from him. He gathered his force and ran after her. Yes, it was a girl. She was like oblivious of what she had done. She’s walking in a trance like going to a car that was parked at the curb.

“Yah !” Seung Hyun shouted and grabbed her arms.  He’ll totally make her pay of her actions. The girl turned her back and swung her arms away.

“What?!” she fired back.

“Dara????!” Seung Hyun was flabbergasted. He didn’t imagine seeing her in the busy streets of Seoul. He thought she could be somewhere far away from them. With too much anticipation and excitement, he pulled her to him and embraced her. Too tight that she coughed and tried to push him.

“Oppa, I can’t breathe.”

He let go when he felt her slightly pushing him. He cupped Dara’s face. He caressed it like making himself believe that she’s real, that he’s not dreaming, that he already found her. The rage on his eyes awhile ago was replaced by longing and bliss.

“Oh my! I found you at last!” he cheerfully said. Dara just look at him.

“Oppa …” She wasn’t expecting it too to happen. It didn’t cross her mind that she was hiding from someone.

“Dara, where have you been? We were worried about you.”

Dara didn’t answer, instead she pulled him by his collar towards the waiting car. “Oppa, promise me not to tell Jiyong that you saw me.”

He gave her a quick nod for approval. “Yeah, of course ... I promise.”

“Good.”

When they were settled inside the car, Seung Hyun noticed that it was Young Bae on the driver’s seat. “Young Bae-ah?”

“Oh, hyung. How are you?” Young Bae greeted him like they casually greet each other.

“Yah! Why didn’t you tell me that she’s with you?” he complained at him with bitterness in his voice.

“Sorry about it, hyung. I’m going to tell you too but someone threatened me.” Young Bae said looking at Dara.

End of flashback.

Seung Hyun felt guilty about not telling his best friend about Dara. He had found her few months ago. Jiyong on the other hand, has no idea at all. And it still bothers him from time to time. He wanted to relay everything to his friend that she’s fine, that she’s happy with what she has now, and that they’re seeing each other sometime.

Jiyong got the reason to know everything but Seung Hyun can’t just let himself open up without Dara’s permission. He did promise to her that he won’t tell. Now the consequence of his abrupt promise is killing him.